Exhaust Crossover Diameter/Size

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
So this is getting a little picky here but, last time I removed my Pypes H pipe, I noticed that there is actually not really a large hole between the two pipes where the H connects.

While the diameter of the crossover looks to be 2.5" just like the rest of the pipe, if you look into the crossover, it looks like they welded the center " - " part of the H to the pipes, then used a hole saw to make a hole on either side.

Last time I measured the hole, it was probably about 1" in diameter.

Would there be any benefits or downsides to making that hole larger and effectively have a larger crossover diameter?

Does the smaller diameter cause the exhaust to behave more like true duals since there isn't as much space to "equalize" the pulses or is a small hole sufficient?

Will it increase drone/noise?

Will it sound cooler?

Will I gain at least 50 horsepower?

Will Darren ever drive his car?

Thanks guys!

ExSRT8Guy

Been There, Done That
Reaction score
Thought my first post would be a question, not a reply :hi:Enlarging the crossover should reduce drone, sound better, and add power, though none of these to a huge degree. Do it!

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Doubtful it will make a difference. I blocked mine off once to change the tone. No difference in power that would have been measurable. Right now I have a factory bullitt H on the car which includes a little restrictor plate.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Doubtful it will make a difference. I blocked mine off once to change the tone. No difference in power that would have been measurable. Right now I have a factory bullitt H on the car which includes a little restrictor plate.

How did blocking it off change the tone? Drone? Less drone?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
How did blocking it off change the tone? Drone? Less drone?

I never ran the offroad set up without the crossover blocked off. It's supposed to make it really burble. I loved how it sounded, but it leaked at the manifold, so I threw a Bullitt mid on it. Still sounds good with a nice deep tone.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back