F150 Ecoboost Builds

Discussion in 'All Non-S197 Media' started by S197 GT, Sep 22, 2012.

1. tjm73

tjm73 of Omicron Persei 8 S197 Team Member

I wonder if that loss of boost is the turbo, the tune or both.

The cost of used trucks is so high, it's almost better to lease a truck for my needs. Been thinking about 4x4 for winter and the camper in the summer. Keep my Focus for summer.

2. Mach2burnout

Mach2burnout 05 Redfire GT

What truck do you have? 2wd?

I have a set of lowering shackles I bought from a member here for my 13 a couple years ago and never installed. Mines a FX4 so I’m now looking at lifting. There yours for $50+ shipping if they’ll fit your truck! 2” drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. skwerl

skwerl tree hugger

Thanks, but I just finished fixing it. I removed the stock spacer between the axle and spring which lowered the back 1.25". Now I have about 1" more clearance on the back fender than the front fender so it looks level without the 'Bully Dog' look. I really wish I didn't need to modify it but I just want a normal height pickup and not one all jacked up to the sky.

4. Shotokan1509

Shotokan1509 forum member

I put about 17thousand on the truck per year, overall average around 15mpg (trucks computer lies it averages missing 2 gallons which is about 1 mpg more optimistic than real calc) so the difference for me using todays prices $2.49 vs $2.93 would be about $500 per year extra. Edit, that mpg is mix driving, when on highway usually 75-80 which kills mpg and town driving lot of hills, I drive 600' vertical just on my hill least once daily, I probably average few thousand feet across day.

While I lay in to it relatively aggressively sometimes, I rarely floor it and when I do most times is "clean it out". Basically doesn't make sense to pay for tune & tuner AND additional gas cost for 93 something rarely needed/used, other than I want it haha

Now the 87 one takes torque 300 to 350 in the 2500-3500 rpm range and looks like about 40 horse across the rpm range, so while not peak big gains it's probably decent for regular driving conditions.

Got a 2011-2014 F150 3.5L Ecoboost_ - 5 Star Tuning.png

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  5. joe_momma

joe_momma forum member

My vehicle MPG calculator is a bit optimistic as well, around 1-1.5MPG. Highway driving at 70+ kills it, but if I stay below 70 it will get around 18 combined (hand calculated). That's after the level and wheels/tires. I'm just running P-rated 275/60/20. so they aren't terribly heavy.

6. 01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra forum member

FWIW I had a 5 Star tune in my Expedition and the tow/performance tune gave me a couple more mpg. I had the economy tune and it gave me the exact same mpg. So I stayed with the performance tune. This was 87 octane by the way.

7. Shotokan1509

Shotokan1509 forum member

I run same size Falken AT3W's, it really is amazing the wall feel as you pass 70. Steep downhills other vehicles are on brakes, I'm in the gas. I just can't bring myself to slow down for the mpg when I'm cutting an hour from a trip haha

Is the Expy an ecoboost?

8. 01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra forum member

Nope. It was a lowly 5.4.

9. joe_momma

joe_momma forum member

I'm running Nitto Terra Grappler G2s, love them. Honestly I'd like a bit larger tire, but the next size up are all E-rated, and a good bit heavier. It's a truck, I didn't buy it to save gas, nor do I expect "good" mileage from it. It is a tool, and I live with it as such.