FIRST LOOK at the S550 IRS !!

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
I really wish Ford would have kept the solid rear axle as an option. That IRS cradle looks self-contained and as easy to install as a solid axle assembly. Production line issues can't be any more of a hassle than exhaust over-axle pipes (which clearances could be engineered to match). Why, you ask?

IMO, the sad part of the IRS-only is that "here we go again." There will be thousands of people buying brand new 2015's that will enjoy the road-handling advantages of the IRS. However, we all know the masses want more power and want to put DR's or slicks on. The drag racers have to go out and buy expensive band-aids for their IRS (for example, take a look at all that BMR jewelry on that Camaro), so they don't grenade on every launch. This is just like when the 2003/04 Cobras starting making big power. It's a shame, the naturally aspirated 1999/2001 Cobra owners (like me) just liked the "feel" of the IRS car and never really destroyed parts. The IRS is a great idea (and makes Ford look like a sheep following the Challenger and Camaro), but I feel it should've been an option.

Tron

forum member
Reaction score
maybe we should wait and see what the IRS is capable of before talking shit about it....just saying...

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
maybe we should wait and see what the IRS is capable of before talking shit about it....just saying...

Quoted for truth. I said long ago that as long as it's crazy strong and doesn't break shot, nobody will care after awhile.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Until they get to 10.99 in the quarter mile and get banned from NHRA tracks. Unless that dogbone is considered an "upper control arm."

Last edited:

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
It is odd for me seeing those little shafts under there. On old Corvettes the shafts are nearly the size of a driveshaft. Increasing diameter is generally one way of increasing strength. But if there isn't room there you either make room or live with small axles. At least the CV joint didn't break so you can keep increase shaft strength till a CV joint breaks then improvements become even more difficult.

claudermilk

Reaction score
My thoughts as well. These cars have barely hit the streets & there seems to be an assumption that it is going to fail & explode into a ball of flame on the starting line.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Look at the 3rd pix he posted. How much does that entire assy weigh ? It looks like one helluva lot of weight to me.

Tron

forum member
Reaction score
Look at the 3rd pix he posted. How much does that entire assy weigh ? It looks like one helluva lot of weight to me.

take a close look at what is made of aluminum though. im sure the IRS assembly is heavier but not by a lot. a solid axle isnt exactly light in itself.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score

Quoted for truth. I said long ago that as long as it's crazy strong and doesn't break shot, nobody will care after awhile.

My thoughts as well. These cars have barely hit the streets & there seems to be an assumption that it is going to fail & explode into a ball of flame on the starting line.

BMR just posted info about a camaro full of upgraded parts that broke a 1000hp rated shaft, once these cars hit that level of power I think these IRS still never going to hold like a good old solid rear end.

It is for a good reason the 8.8 and 9" have been around for such a long time, shit, people puts ford 9" in their chevy some times. If these IRS really are so strong then I could not wait to see a cobrajet in the track with it.

warmmilk

Reaction score
any update on the possibility of swapping the IRS into the S197 chassis?

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
There is a company out west that already makes the IRS for S197

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I really wish Ford would have kept the solid rear axle as an option. That IRS cradle looks self-contained and as easy to install as a solid axle assembly. Production line issues can't be any more of a hassle than exhaust over-axle pipes (which clearances could be engineered to match). Why, you ask?

IMO, the sad part of the IRS-only is that "here we go again." There will be thousands of people buying brand new 2015's that will enjoy the road-handling advantages of the IRS. However, we all know the masses want more power and want to put DR's or slicks on. The drag racers have to go out and buy expensive band-aids for their IRS (for example, take a look at all that BMR jewelry on that Camaro), so they don't grenade on every launch. This is just like when the 2003/04 Cobras starting making big power. It's a shame, the naturally aspirated 1999/2001 Cobra owners (like me) just liked the "feel" of the IRS car and never really destroyed parts. The IRS is a great idea (and makes Ford look like a sheep following the Challenger and Camaro), but I feel it should've been an option.
Sad? Don't look for sympathy here.

Maybe now a few drag racers will understand how it's felt to be a corner-carver when the mfrs nearly always concentrated on straight line performance and let the cornering land wherever it happened to fall.

It is odd for me seeing those little shafts under there. On old Corvettes the shafts are nearly the size of a driveshaft. Increasing diameter is generally one way of increasing strength. But if there isn't room there you either make room or live with small axles. At least the CV joint didn't break so you can keep increase shaft strength till a CV joint breaks then improvements become even more difficult.
The half shafts in the early Corvettes also did double-duty as the upper control arms, and had to withstand torque plus tension/compression - and the joints still had to be able to handle that load combination even at maximum angularity. I think it was the 5th gen Corvettes that finally put proper upper arms back there and let the half shafts only have to carry the torque.

Norm

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe now a few drag racers will understand how it's felt to be a corner-carver when the mfrs nearly always concentrated on straight line performance and let the cornering land wherever it happened to fall.
Well, there are plenty of cars available since 2003 with independent rear suspensions and rear wheel drive, us drag racers have only had the mustang and the panther chassis cars available to us with a stick axle. That to me does not suggest that the manufacturers have concentrated on straight line performance-at least in the last dozen years or so.

It probably will take IRS being the only option for mustangs to get the automotive aftermarket as a whole to build an IRS that can actually take some power.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
When you can trace your outlook as a corner-carver all the way back to the mid-1960's (earlier if you count go-karts and such), 2003 was only yesterday.

I'd tell you to come back around 2044 except I might not be around to pick your brain over how well straight-line IRS development turned out for you.

Norm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back