Front control arm and rear swaybar

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to replace my 12 year old front lower control arms and see if I should get just a rear swaybar for now(Hellwig). I have a 30% off to advance auto parts. I'm not chasing track times here. Just one like to have fun and do spirited driving. It's my daily. Doing all new dampers from stock and new springs from SR springs. Going to BMR SP009 and dampers are just the KYB excell gr2 but the gas adjust mono in the rear.

The rear swaybar, so even just dailying the car and doing some spirited driving the car just wants to push through and not turn that well. Just feels like a lot of understeer. Will getting an adj rear help pull that understeer out? Like just too much front bar. I can feel it bad, I know I am out driving something on the car and I think its the rear bar. I brake hard and when I turn it just feels like all the weight goes on outer front tire and wants to nose over. Noticed it some when I really stared driving harder but now its very noticeable. I'm sure the struts aren't helping that either.

So was just wondering if it matters weather I go with either moog or the cheaper driveworks front lowers? Both have lifetime warranty. Is there a benefit of one control are to another?

upload_2018-9-27_12-55-36.png

Thanks

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
You're starting to drive the car harder, so I'd spend a few bucks more for these. While you're at it, ask Sam about shocks & struts. Sam has pretty good credentials as far as making the S197 chassis handle.

I have no idea what you're running for wheels (diameter x width) or tires (mfr, model, size). Or what your camber settings are. You did say that your struts and shocks are the originals, which means they're years past their "best used by date", so you're going to get a lot of diagonal flopping when you try to snap the car into a turn. My opinion - it's them that you might be outdriving because of their deteriorated condition. Otherwise, I doubt that you're being held up by the car.

No flame intended, but my best guess is that it's you being guilty of "overdriving". Meaning that you're trying to hang onto max-effort braking that got started a little too late to begin with, and then you're adding some turning to that, which drives the outside front tire into heavy plowing understeer once you crash through its peak-grip slip angle.

Slow your hands down, don't try to jerk the car into a turn.

If it matters, my car was still on the original springs in that little video clip. Koni yellow shocks & struts and Sam's stabilizer bars. Pilot Super Sport tires a good bit wider than stock on wheels much wider than stock.

Norm

Last edited:

Bad Horsie

Reaction score
I put a boss 302 rear bar on mine seems to work fine for my needs... Got mine for $125.00

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Okay thanks. Norm I was having fun in the compound where I live (just an abondanded area with tons of roads) and I’m pretty sure you hit it on the head with the flopping and braking. I think I’m late an too hard on the turning. But I do need dampers

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
If you are doing both front control arms I'd definitely look at the GT500 arms. It would be less than what you've got shown for a price at Advance and better arms.

13v6

Reaction score
I hate to say it but some of this may be driving technique. You shouldn't be braking hard in a turn. Brake going into the turn and accelerate out of the turn. This way, you're braking while you're still going straight.
Fixing up the suspension won't hurt anything either.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to replace my 12 year old front lower control arms and see if I should get just a rear swaybar for now(Hellwig). I have a 30% off to advance auto parts. I'm not chasing track times here. Just one like to have fun and do spirited driving. It's my daily. Doing all new dampers from stock and new springs from SR springs. Going to BMR SP009 and dampers are just the KYB excell gr2 but the gas adjust mono in the rear.

The rear swaybar, so even just dailying the car and doing some spirited driving the car just wants to push through and not turn that well. ...

Thanks
For what you say you are doing, and the low end dampers and soft springs you are going to use, it shouldn't matter what control arms you pick. Just being honest here - get the cheap stuff.

When/if you ever start chasing times on track or around cones, then this sub-forum is the right place to ask for advice. :)

Cheers,

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back