Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor - Check Engine Light

X

xvesnfpu

Okay, just three days after my Whipple supercharger was returned after a heat exchanger leak, I threw a check engine light. AutoZone ran the code and it turned out to be a Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. The sensors wiring harness is not altered during the Whipple installation process like the MAF, TPS, etc.

Should I just replace it, or is there some troubleshooting tips I can attempt first?

Below is the thread regarding my Whipple supercharger intercooler issues. Pictures are there for those who want to see the fuel injectors.

Whipple Supercharger Installation - Major Issues

Last edited by a moderator:

matt texass

Reaction score
i just went to start mine one day and it threw that code (this was after i cleared the delayed oxygen sensor code from the long tubes) started running really rough............. then like 2 minutes later ran perfectly fine and has been fine ever sense........ dont know if that helps sometimes stuff just freaks out

travelers

Reaction score
I would pull the plug off and check the pins and reinstall it. Make sure it is completely on. And try it again.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Okay, just three days after my Whipple supercharger was returned after a heat exchanger leak, I threw a check engine light. AutoZone ran the code and it turned out to be a Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. The sensors wiring harness is not altered during the Whipple installation process like the MAF, TPS, etc.

Should I just replace it, or is there some troubleshooting tips I can attempt first?
As I recall, you had injectors gummed up with oil/coolant from the intercooler leak?

I'd double check that the rail is fully seated on the injectors, check for leaks and make sure the sensor is plugged in, but given the pictures you posted - I guess I would not be surprised to see an injector malfunctioning (stuck open/closed).

Which code was it? There are a few associated with this as I recall (open circuit, stuck high, stuck low, etc...).

p.s. assuming the easy checks don't show something disconnected, you might send that picture you posted of your injector to whipple and ask that they kindly send you a new set of injectors for your trouble...

Last edited:
X

xvesnfpu

As I recall, you had injectors gummed up with oil/coolant from the intercooler leak?

[...]

p.s. assuming the easy checks don't show something disconnected, you might send that picture you posted of your injector to whipple and ask that they kindly send you a new set of injectors for your trouble...

The two injectors (on on each side) near the firewall were really gummed up. Art Whipple originally told me to request replacements for these two. I didn't really see anything remarkable on the six remaining fuel injectors, thus I only requested two replacements.

Also, the scan tool AutoZone used didn't provide any specifics, just that the code was for the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor.

If there's a possibility that a fuel injector is the cause, then I guess I'll need to have the dealer pinpoint the specifics beyond what AutoZone was able to provide, but I'm glad you mentioned it, since I assumed the sensor itself had to be the cause (assuming it isn't).

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If there's a possibility that a fuel injector is the cause, then I guess I'll need to have the dealer pinpoint the specifics beyond what AutoZone was able to provide, but I'm glad you mentioned it, since I assumed the sensor itself had to be the cause (assuming it isn't).
Depends on which code - there is a code that basically says the sensor itself is dead or disconnected, then there are other codes that say they are stuck too high or too low (low indicating that there is a leak and therefor the pump can't keep the pressure up).

Seems odd that the sensor would die in the middle of all your intercooler issues just from a random probability standpoint, but anything is possible...

I assume since you made it to autozone that it ran - how did it run? Did you smell raw fuel?

X

xvesnfpu

Depends on which code - there is a code that basically says the sensor itself is dead or disconnected, then there are other codes that say they are stuck too high or too low (low indicating that there is a leak and therefor the pump can't keep the pressure up).

Seems odd that the sensor would die in the middle of all your intercooler issues just from a random probability standpoint, but anything is possible...

I assume since you made it to autozone that it ran - how did it run? Did you smell raw fuel?

I still don't have a boost gauge, so I don't know precisely if there was a change in boost, but it did seem to be running with less power. There didn't seem to be any strong smell of fuel. However, at WOT, speed exceeding 80 MPH, there was an unusual noise emanating from the exhaust. It basically sounded like a pop, sort of similar to a backfire, but on a much smaller scale. It was momentary, and it's done it more than once, both during the check engine light and before. Installed the Corsa exhaust while I was waiting for all my parts to return from Whipple.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
here are the codes for this area from the DTC list at the top of the tech section. I don't have my service manual handy at the moment so I can't double check these numbers - but they look right:
P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low
P0088 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too High
P0190 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit
P0191 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
P0192 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Low
P0193 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High
P0194 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Intermittent

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I still don't have a boost gauge, so I don't know precisely if there was a change in boost, but it did seem to be running with less power. There didn't seem to be any strong smell of fuel. However, at WOT, speed exceeding 80 MPH, there was an unusual noise emanating from the exhaust. It basically sounded like a pop, sort of similar to a backfire, but on a much smaller scale. It was momentary, and it's done it more than once, both during the check engine light and before. Installed the Corsa exhaust while I was waiting for all my parts to return from Whipple.
With cats it might be hard to smell fuel dumping in unless you go right for the pipe, but without, I'd think you would smell it if an injector was stuck open, but then maybe its just open enought to drop the pressure a little? Well, let us know what you find...

DynoJoe

cleaning out your closet
Reaction score
When cleared, has this light come back on?
If it does or has, do you have an X-cal II or some sort of tuner to check it and get the correct numbered code?
If you can get the number code, please post it up or pm it to me and let me see what I can figure out for you.

This is something that might have been a fluke or something telling you the sensor is going bad.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If the car is running you can try cleaning the injectors with a bottle of Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus.
It is the only cleaner approved for our cars which doesn't foul the plugs.
It may be worth a shot.

Reaction score
Okay, back to the issue at hand. The vehicle was out of commission for 5 weeks, so I wasn't able to work on the original issue.

I did install a Nexus Wideband A/F gauge and the numbers confirm a too rich condition. In fact, the gauge upper limit is 20:1, and when my drivability issues appear, the A/F numbers exceed this limit.

Took the vehicle to the Ford dealer and the service manager confirmed my too rich suspicion. He pointed out that the back of the car and exhaust was covered in soot. I mistakenly assumed it was brake dust.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ok now i remember. why do you have 2 usernames?

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I did install a Nexus Wideband A/F gauge and the numbers confirm a too rich condition. In fact, the gauge upper limit is 20:1, and when my drivability issues appear, the A/F numbers exceed this limit.
Over 20:1?????? That's not rich... that's insanely lean!!! Rich would be 10:1 or lower.

ok now i remember. why do you have 2 usernames?
I'm having a hard time trying to pronounce: 3c673cxao7l9o7u80ag8as1g2 :thud:

Not that I could pronounce "xvesnfpu" any better...

Last edited:
Reaction score
**PROBLEM SOLVED**

Turns out the problem was an improperly wired wiring harness. Took me three months to actually make the first call to Ford Racing, and they figured the problem out the same day I dropped the wiring harness off to them.

Anyway, it turns out that one of the fuel pump driver modules wasn't turning on at all. They gave me a new harness, and all my problems disappeared.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
OK, so now I have for the first time today a P0190 code. I have not noticed any performance issues at all. I have however just replaced the alternator about a week ago. I am going to clear the code and see if it comes back. I will also run some Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus through and check the connections. Anything else I should worry about? I have a long trip to Bozeman MT coming up at the end of the month for the International Mustang Meet. Should I be concerned if this code comes back and I have not found out the problem?

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
So the popping you were hearing was extreme detonation I would imagine. I wonder how much damage you did to the car by going wide open throttle with it that way.

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
P190 is your fuel pressure sensor. It needs to be replaced. Just went through having this code.

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
OK, so now I have for the first time today a P0190 code. I have not noticed any performance issues at all. I have however just replaced the alternator about a week ago. I am going to clear the code and see if it comes back. I will also run some Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus through and check the connections. Anything else I should worry about? I have a long trip to Bozeman MT coming up at the end of the month for the International Mustang Meet. Should I be concerned if this code comes back and I have not found out the problem?

Pull the vacuum line off the sensor. If it smells like gas, its a bad sensor.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back