What could it be?

• Not sure?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any help appreciated!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Steve Breeden

Reaction score
Scratching my head! HEEELLLPPP! Turn on ignition, no fuel pump prime. Power is at the fuel pump harness. Hot wire fuel pump it runs fine. New Fuel pressure sensor, new Fuel pump tried (2) different pumps, new filter, tried (2) new throttle position sensors, new fuel pump driver module. Also If driven on a hour long trip then slow down for traffic it will go into fail safe mode not always but most times. turn off ignition and will start back up and run. Not sure if the 2 problems are related. Any other suggestions???

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Check the ground and connectiins for the fpdm in the trunk.

Is it a stock pump/fuel system?

2006 Saleen SC #409 MMR 1000S stroked 4.6 3.0 pulley 1 piece driveshaft

Steve Breeden

Reaction score
Yes, stock fuel system. Muffler delete, CAI, BBK TB, 93 OCT custom tune, accel coil packs. Basically stock! Daily driver until now! lol

Steve Breeden

Reaction score
Ill try the ground! Do you know where it lands? As in frame location?

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
Spare tire well in the trunk on the right side. May have gotten bumped?
Check the fittings and such.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Scratching my head! HEEELLLPPP! Turn on ignition, no fuel pump prime. Power is at the fuel pump harness. Hot wire fuel pump it runs fine. New Fuel pressure sensor, new Fuel pump tried (2) different pumps, new filter, tried (2) new throttle position sensors, new fuel pump driver module. Also If driven on a hour long trip then slow down for traffic it will go into fail safe mode not always but most times. turn off ignition and will start back up and run. Not sure if the 2 problems are related. Any other suggestions???

What year is your car? I ask because some early models had an issue with fuel pump pick up after sustained cruising, coming off the freeway and such. Anyways it looks like you replaced the pump so this issue may disappear once you get it started.

Steve Breeden

Reaction score
Its a 2005 but I have been driving it. I direct wired the fuel pump to a toggle switch and runs fine but still has the fail safe mode problem. Fail safe mode problem started about a month before the fuel pump quit. That's why i'm not sure if they are related but it is still having both problems. I didn't mention that when the fuel pump quit it gave me the code for the smart junction box problem in the passenger kick panel. replaced the whole junction box from Ford $500 and then had Ford re-program the junction box but it wouldn't program due to what ever this problem is. I was already $1000 in the hole a couldn't afford to let Ford keep trouble shooting at $120/ hr. So I installed my old junction box, connected the toggle back up to the fuel pump and drove it home.

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
I believe Autozone can test the module...

Steve Breeden

Reaction score
So I figured out the Fuel pump problem. It was a corroded harness connector under the car about where the left rear seat would be. Cleaned it with electrical connector cleaner. Put some no-ox/di-electric grease on there and it fired right up. Drove it to work today. About 1 hr drive on highway, I get to town and traffic and it idles up then goes into failsafe mode as usuall. Turn the cart off. Start right back up and drove the rest of the way to work with no problem. So I guess that answers my question about the two problems being related. Back to trouble shooting this problem now. It only does this on long hauls. Never happens when I drive it local around town.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Does the "wrench" light come on when it goes into failsafe?

Steve Breeden

Reaction score
Nope, just says failsafe in the info display. Only lets me limp to side of road. No acceleration what so ever. Shut off engine, wait a second and starts right back up every time. Just read something saying my coolant could be low??? Which is possible, haven't changed or checked coolant fluid level in some time now. Checking that on my lunch break. If low I will get some and add it but wont know for sure until my ride home after work.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Nope, just says failsafe in the info display. Only lets me limp to side of road. No acceleration what so ever. Shut off engine, wait a second and starts right back up every time. Just read something saying my coolant could be low??? Which is possible, haven't changed or checked coolant fluid level in some time now. Checking that on my lunch break. If low I will get some and add it but wont know for sure until my ride home after work.

Does she run hot? I didn't even know we had a coolant level sensor.

Do you have capabilities to data log? I'm pretty sure it still may be a pump pick up issue. I'm going to look for the TSB or related threads. I once gave my old fuel pump to a guy on here that was having the same issues. Occasionally when he pulled off the freeway after cruising for long periods his car would die. He had an '05. The pump I gave him was out of my '07. I don't think he had it happen again after swapping in my pump.

Steve Breeden

Reaction score
Wasn't the coolant level although it was a little low. Topped it off and drove around on my lunch break approx. 45 min. and boom, failsafe, no wrench. Shut off, fired right back up and drove back to work. No check engine light or wrench but decided to scan it anyway and had two codes P2104 and P2111 (Throttle valve stuck ) hint RPM idle up before failsafe mode). After checking into this noticed alot of F150s were having the exact same problem as me and ended up changing the throttle body. Looks like that will be my next step. Atleast I have all new sensors to switch to new throttle body although I think new ones come with the TPS sensor and throttle body motor. Or could it be the throttle body motor itself? I have not changed it. $60 for motor $300 for Throttle body.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
It could be the tb motor, tb sensor ,or the gears in the tb. Either way, I think you found the issue is with the throttle body.

Steve Breeden

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and responses. Ill keep you posted for future reference!

Steve Breeden

Reaction score
Installed factory Throttle Body. No more problems. Word to the wise. Don’t use a larger aftermarket TB without larger injectors and tune or a Supercharger with tune!!!

07 Boss

Reaction score
Installed factory Throttle Body. No more problems. Word to the wise. Don’t use a larger aftermarket TB without larger injectors and tune or a Supercharger with tune!!!

Wait, you changed the TB without a tune? Did you at least calibrate it?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back