Fusible Link

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
Anyone have the part number for the fusible link for the alternator? I need to get it ordered asap! I have searched google and ford websites and I can not find it!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Hit up a local NAPA store. They can make one up for you, matching the length and gauge.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Hit up a local NAPA store. They can make one up for you, matching the length and gauge.

I already called NAPA prior to making my previous post. Largest they offer is 12 gage.

No one I could find locally or online sells 8 gage fusible link wire other than the vendor I already posted. Ford does not offer the fusible link wire separately - have to purchase the entire cable/harness assem.

Good luck.

Last edited:

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
This is my plan so please let me know what you think...

- Napa doesn't have 8 gauge fusible link
- Ford wants over $100 for the 8ga harness
- Dont want to wait for shipping on fusible link wire
- Alt wire is tied into power wire which is routed to kill switch (I think this is incorrect way to do it)

Plan is to run completely new wire (probably 4 gauge unless you think 8 guage is plenty big) and run it all the way to the kill switch so that the battery and alternator are both on seperate lines. I will be adding in a 150 or 200A fuse in-between the line. I talked to the guys at PA and they said the Alt can go up to 160A so they recommended 175A, but Im only finding 150 or 200. Is it better to go lower and let it pop if needed or give it that much cushion?

BoostedGT480

Slow 3v
Reaction score
I think it was already fused so I wanted to keep it factory..Dont want to fry anything without there being a fuse or something

stang06gt

forum member
Reaction score
Idk I have done the big three on 5-6 when doing audio installs and I just run a 2-4 gauge wire from the alt to the battery. Never had any issues with doing it this way. Also, this was mostly on gm cars. Just remember fuses are there to protect the wiring not the components. Just a thought but at that level of amps why not use a circuit breaker if you still want something there.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I also just had the damn fusible link burn up on my car. Never had a problem till I did the BT Delete. :rant:

I also have two 8 gauge wires running from the trunk mounted battery to the front of car and the fusible link burnt up on it. I have a 200 Amp fuse in line with it.

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I would suggest running a separate 4 gage wire from the trunk mounted battery all the way up to the alternator. This alt (+) cable needs to be fused with 150 amp fuse as close as possible to the battery. I should also add I prefer to use welding cable which typically has a higher strand count than most battery cable which means a higher amperage carrying capacity. Welding cable is also more flexible than battery cable.

While I'm not stating this is what you should do, here is what my setup looks like
Untitled-5.jpg

100_2037.jpg

100_2025.jpg

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Just fyi - if you plan on using the fuse holders I posted a link to and are concerned about using a 150 amp fuse for the alternator circuit, here's a 175 amp fuse.

However, I think 150 amp is fine with the stock alternator.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back