Gen 3 Coyote in 05-09 GT

Discussion in 'Hardcore Tech=*MOTOR SWAPS*' started by 2008_ScarlettGT, Sep 12, 2022.

1. mattjames

mattjames Member

I believe the gasket needs to match the heads

2. Juice

Juice forum member

Head gasket needs to be no smaller than the bore.

3. 2008_ScarlettGT

2008_ScarlettGT Junior Member

Ok so we have one for the gen 3 and 1 for the gen 1…..any tie breakers??

4. Dino Dino Bambino

Dino Dino Bambino I have a red car

The Gen 3 engine has a slightly larger cylinder bore than Gen 1/2. This accounts for the extra displacement.

5. mattjames

mattjames Member

I’d do more research but from what I remember when guys doing 3-2-1 builds, you match the head gaskets to the heads for their oil port. The actual cylinder sealing surface ring is always larger Than the cylinder bore itself

6. 2008_ScarlettGT

From what I see from other online sources, Matt James is correct. The gasket must match the head. The people who have done the gen 3 block with the gen 1 or gen2 heads have not mentioned any issues when using the correct head gasket for the heads. I hope this 100% true because I just ordered a short block from my local ford dealer this morning. They price matched the price from Tasca, which was the most reasonably priced dealer I found and I don’t have to worry about shipping charges. For whatever reason, Tasca wanted $1100+ to ship to my location. I have had full engines shipped cheaper than that so I’m not sure why it was so high.

7. Dino Dino Bambino

Dino Dino Bambino I have a red car

The only heads that are compatible with Gen 3 blocks are Gen 3 heads plus '11-'12 Gen 1 heads (including '12-'13 Boss 302) that use long 12mm head bolts.
    The '13-'17 MY heads use shorter 11mm head bolts and are only compatible with '13-'17 MY blocks.
    If you're using a Gen 1 Mustang PCM for a Coyote swap into an '05-'09 Mustang (V6 or GT), your swap engine will need to have the Gen 1 camshaft drive system (timing set). This means you'd probably also need Gen 1 camshafts and Gen 1 heads. If you want to bolt these items onto a later generation short block, the '11-'12 items will only go onto a Gen 3 and the '13-'14 items will only go onto a Gen 2.

8. 2008_ScarlettGT

Thank you Dino. I bought a first gen coyote engine for parts and I will be using the 11-14 pcm. I have the first gen cams and stuff and I am going to put new gen 1 timing components on it when I assemble them. I believe I have an 11-12 engine due to the block having the piston oil squirters but I have been unable to nail down exactly the year. I have tried looking up the head castings and I have been unsuccessful. I will measure the bolts but is there a place that spells out the head casting and where I can find it? I’m 99% sure it’s an 11-12, but I’d like to be certain. The short block I will be using is a new gen 3 from Ford. The block from the gen 1 was scarred and needed rebuilt and I found it cheaper to buy a new one. Any help is appreciated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.