Godzilla!

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
Enjoyed the film. The biggest complaint I hear is too much story and not enough Godzilla. However, the original Godzilla (1954) didn't give him much screen time either.

I have been hearing that complaint too. I thought it had a very nice balance of story and Godzilla. My only real gripe was SPOILERS BELOW

The Airport fight. The buildup to that scene was incredible, the suspense was killing me then we finally get the big reveal and get to see Godzilla in all of his glory, and it's like oh yeah Godzilla is about to fuck some shit up...then it cuts away and we see glimpses of the fight on TV screens. The final fight IMO more than made up for that though.

I need to go see this again in IMAX though.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
We watched it in IMAX yesterday.

Wife is a huge Godzilla fan and loved it. Her only gripe was that there was not enough Godzilla in it.

Mine only gripe was at the end.....SPOILER ALERT

Godzilla was laying there on the ground and all those people around him being helped, when he opened his eyes and snorted.....nobody moved....I would have jumped 10 feet in the air....lol

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing that complaint too. I thought it had a very nice balance of story and Godzilla. My only real gripe was SPOILERS BELOW

The Airport fight. The buildup to that scene was incredible, the suspense was killing me then we finally get the big reveal and get to see Godzilla in all of his glory, and it's like oh yeah Godzilla is about to fuck some shit up...then it cuts away and we see glimpses of the fight on TV screens. The final fight IMO more than made up for that though.

I need to go see this again in IMAX though.

I felt as though the movie was a good build up for up coming serious (Godzilla 2 & 3). They took the time to explain Godzilla and his villains. I would think the 2nd movie will have a lot more of Godzilla himself. Keep in mind, I'm guessing they plan on making at least a 2nd one.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I felt as though the movie was a good build up for up coming serious (Godzilla 2 & 3). They took the time to explain Godzilla and his villains. I would think the 2nd movie will have a lot more of Godzilla himself. Keep in mind, I'm guessing they plan on making at least a 2nd one.

There's literally no reason for them not to make another one. It KILLED at the box office.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is my gripe also. The story was fine, but it did need a couple more fight scenes with Godzilla, and I thought they were going to do it in a couple spots but then they cut away from it (Spoiler below):

I was a bit disappointed that Cranston died so early in the movie. I thought he had a much bigger part.

I to was disappointed in the fight scenes until the end segment. The scene I was looking forward to was the downtown scene where the male flys past the buildings then is confronted by Gozilla, then the doors shut and ..... same feedback with the Hawaii scene.

The BEST little tidbit I found great and funny was when the male is flying in for the last time, they cut to Godzilla's face and he grunts/snarls--like the male by himself is just an annoyance and at the same time saying "Come here, I got something for you, you bastard". I found that really funny.

Overall I give it a 7.5 out of 10, still good, but with a couple changes it could have been a 9.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
The BEST little tidbit I found great and funny was when the male is flying in for the last time, they cut to Godzilla's face and he grunts/snarls--like the male by himself is just an annoyance and at the same time saying "Come here, I got something for you, you bastard". I found that really funny.

And then he bitch slaps the male with his tail....awesome!

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
Hopefully they don't rush it, and hopefully it doesnt take them as long as this one lol. they got the rights to Godzilla in 2010.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Hopefully they don't rush it, and hopefully it doesnt take them as long as this one lol. they got the rights to Godzilla in 2010.

Four years doesn't seem unreasonable for a movie like that considering how well put together as it was.

Reaction score
saw it last night. Was really good. As you would expect the story is pretty weak, but the wow factor is spot on. I give it 8/10.

JerryC

Reaction score
Ugh... Not enough Godzilla, too much of poor character development.

For as much I didn't like most of the movie, the parts with Godzilla in it were worth the price of admission.

Spoilers below:

Why the Jurassic Park T-Rex rip off? Why not use the traditional Japanese Godzilla head and roar.

We see Cranston's wife for a few minutes and she dies, who cares...We never got to know her. Good actress totally wasted in the movie, leaves the impression it was just to get another recognizable name in the credits.

I've never seen breaking bad so... Cranston is like Shatner in that he way overacts. His scenes came of off as a raving lunatic, cry baby, uninteresting character. Nobody in the movie listens to him, I didn't want to either.

His son could have been played by a mannequin with no loss of acting ability.

The movie is full of things that make you shake your head.
Cranston's wife's team suit up and walk a half mile or so through the facility. Where is the golf cart to take them there instead walking in suits?

When a breach happens they run in full suit toward the open containment door and you have the B-movie trip and fall. None of them runs faster than the others, staying with the group is not a good survival tactic.

Open containment door, that would never happen period. But it's ok because he can see the cloud of radiation coming...

Soldiers shoot at the monsters with their rifles... really???

They suspect that the eggs feed of of radioactivity and yet they put one in a nuclear waste dump. Nobody notices that it grew into giant bug and dug it's way out the mountain? Or that it's stomping across the desert?

EMP effects only last a few minutes?

Half a dozen soldiers can't pull, pry, kick a half open access panel on the nuke far enough to get to the controls?

For the finale, a 20KT warhead is put on tour boat on the dock of the bay and sent out to sea with less than 20 minutes on the timer. How far away would that get from shore? Far enough to save San Fran? Uh, no.... Which way does the wind blow out there?

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
Ugh... Not enough Godzilla, too much of poor character development.

For as much I didn't like most of the movie, the parts with Godzilla in it were worth the price of admission.

Spoilers below:

Why the Jurassic Park T-Rex rip off? Why not use the traditional Japanese Godzilla head and roar.

I actually liked the new roar and the head of Godzilla. It was nice to see a change(that worked) also they were going to make Godzilla appear more like an animal vs man in suit, so I am assuming thats why he had the Jurassic Park stance

We see Cranston's wife for a few minutes and she dies, who cares...We never got to know her. Good actress totally wasted in the movie, leaves the impression it was just to get another recognizable name in the credits.

Agreed

I've never seen breaking bad so... Cranston is like Shatner in that he way overacts. His scenes came of off as a raving lunatic, cry baby, uninteresting character. Nobody in the movie listens to him, I didn't want to either.

I actually enjoyed Cranston's performance...I thought he played crazy obsessive pretty well.

His son could have been played by a mannequin with no loss of acting ability.

Agreed

The movie is full of things that make you shake your head.
Cranston's wife's team suit up and walk a half mile or so through the facility. Where is the golf cart to take them there instead walking in suits?

Agreed

When a breach happens they run in full suit toward the open containment door and you have the B-movie trip and fall. None of them runs faster than the others, staying with the group is not a good survival tactic.

eh, kind of nitpicky if you ask me

Open containment door, that would never happen period. But it's ok because he can see the cloud of radiation coming...

Soldiers shoot at the monsters with their rifles... really???

I would guess panic response

They suspect that the eggs feed of of radioactivity and yet they put one in a nuclear waste dump. Nobody notices that it grew into giant bug and dug it's way out the mountain? Or that it's stomping across the desert?

I believe they thought it was dead/fossilized thats why they put it there, but agree on not noticing a 300 foot monster tearing out of a mountain

EMP effects only last a few minutes?

I believe EMP would actually fry all electronics wouldn't but its a monster movie, maybe its EMP is only similar to a real EMP and that is the best word for it ?

Half a dozen soldiers can't pull, pry, kick a half open access panel on the nuke far enough to get to the controls?

Agreed

For the finale, a 20KT warhead is put on tour boat on the dock of the bay and sent out to sea with less than 20 minutes on the timer. How far away would that get from shore? Far enough to save San Fran? Uh, no.... Which way does the wind blow out there?

Agreed

Responses in red. The movie does have its flaws, but it still blew the 98 version out of the water, and I even think it was better than the last few Godzilla movies that Toho released.

JerryC

Reaction score
The 98 version could be retitled "American Godzilla lays eggs". Part of the reason the JP T-Rex rip off bothers me so much is that the 98 movie was loaded with T-Rex rip offs. Remember the cheap not-so-special effect cloning of the baby Godzillas doing the T-Rex walk? Ugh...

Last edited:

Reaction score
I always thought modern military jets, boats, etc were EMP resistant...

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I always thought modern military jets, boats, etc were EMP resistant...

Some are hardened but none that I know of are completely immune to the effects of an EMP. Our government doesn't believe an EMP attack is possible so they won't "waste" the money to harden every piece of military equipment against something they think will never happen.

Reaction score
Some are hardened but none that I know of are completely immune to the effects of an EMP. Our government doesn't believe an EMP attack is possible so they won't "waste" the money to harden every piece of military equipment against something they think will never happen.

Yea, I knew about EMP hardened cable and EMP shielding on electrical components... Never knew if it actually worked or not. lol

When i tried googling it I just found a bunch of tin foil hat websites that gave me little to no information.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back