Got a 3v auto! Help modding?

jphs911

Reaction score
i just got a 3v auto 07 with 90k miles in it. I am planning to make a fun cruiser car. I do a lot of city driving. The car its stock, i just have purchased a CAI and my next mod will be tune and 4.10 gears. Those are the most bang for your buck from what I have read. Correct me if I am wrong.

Any other ideas on how to make the car go fast but without making it loud?

This are the list of mods I think they are too expensive, loud or not worth the hassle.
LT headers
62mm throttle body
Mufflers or O/R pipe

Any mods that you can suggest to make the car still reliable and suited for comfort driving without loud cabin noise? Or that’s just it.

Supercharging is not an option.

sman247

forum member
Reaction score
seems like your on the right track, add a tune and it will bring it together. Aftermarket throttle bodies are a waste if your not supercharged. Underdrive pulleys are also a good addition for cheap money

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Your best bet is to do CAI, tune, 4.10 gears, and 3000rpm stall converter as entry level mods.
Later you could do charge motion delete plates and underdrive pulleys to add some more power.

JJ427R

Reaction score
When I started to do a build like this quite a few years ago my mechanic gave me a couple pieces of advise I still go by. It's not for everyone, but it's worked well for me over the years and saved me quite a bit of cash....

1. Run what you have until it breaks because you won't get anything for it trying to sell it. granted it sucks to break at the track, but you may break new stuff as well....

2. The auto trans is the weakest link in your and my car, that will more than likely break before your rear end or gears ever will.

I do HPDE track days, almost 53000 miles and roughly 20 track days and a few 1/4 mile days and I'm still running all my stock stuff, other than front brake calipers/rotors, pads, and tires. Only issue I have is overheating my auto trans, of which I've added a larger transmission pan, trans overflow catch can, and additional trans cooler. Just recently I added MMD hood vents to get hot air out of my engine bay.
Also installed a larger radiator and heat exchanger.

Per your mods you want to do.
Throttle body will not do much without a larger fuel pump as well, or as above said unless you are throwing a supercharger or turbos on it.
Headers will make the car much louder, if you want a quiet cabin forget those.
I have the Roush GT/GT500 off road exhaust on my 2010 427r, not much for any mufflers, basically straight pipes. I have no headers. I've won a couple best sounding exhaust competitions at car shows. Not obnoxiously loud at normal driving, but they open up when you get on it.
https://www.roushperformance.com/pa...g-exhaust-high-performance-off-road-2010.html

Good luck!

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site, please review the posting rules, this is not a tech topic on this board.

don't bother with the TB - total waste of money for a bolt on car.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
4.10s CAI Tune is a great place to start. That is what I did to my 07 auto. I also added some lower control arms, also had a mid pipe and axle backs (it was loud)

Best pass was a 13.3

jphs911

Reaction score
4.10s CAI Tune is a great place to start. That is what I did to my 07 auto. I also added some lower control arms, also had a mid pipe and axle backs (it was loud)

Best pass was a 13.3

Just with those mods? Impressive! How did you choose the lower control arms? Are brands important when choosing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
Yes I would go with one of the big name brands for lower control arms. I went with a local speed shops suspension parts because they sponsored the racing series I was in. They were nice parts, but wore out quickly.

When I hit my 13.3 that was in fantastic air in the fall. Car was normally a 13.6 car. I also had drag radials on the car whenever I took it to the track. I thought I put that in there but must have slipped my mind.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The standard consensus for the 3v is 4.10's with the manual and 3.73's for the auto. The gearing in the auto just seems to work better with the 3.73's. I ran 3.73's in my 06 when it was NA and liked the combination.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
The standard consensus for the 3v is 4.10's with the manual and 3.73's for the auto. The gearing in the auto just seems to work better with the 3.73's. I ran 3.73's in my 06 when it was NA and liked the combination.

I respectfully disagree lol. IMO going from 3.31 to 3.73 wouldn't be worth the money. 4.10s were perfect, I still got around 23 MPG on the highway on the way home from the track.

05wvmustang

forum member
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree lol. IMO going from 3.31 to 3.73 wouldn't be worth the money. 4.10s were perfect, I still got around 23 MPG on the highway on the way home from the track.
I agree.

I actually always read the opposite 3.73 for manuals and 4.10s for auto.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The stock axle gearing for manual tranny vehicles was 3.55 on '05-'06 and 3.31 on '07-'09. The later models were fitted with taller gears to improve highway gas mileage and reduce CO2 emissions. However I think 3.55 would have been the optimum axle gear on all manual GTs from '94-'10. Since stock automatics lose a higher % of engine HP/TQ through the drivetrain, the optimum gears on those is more like 3.73.
Once you start adding power mods or changing tire sizes, the picture changes so the axle gears then have to be tailored to the individual vehicle.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
My 08 came stock with 3.55 gears, I have had 4.56 and 4.30 gears. With the 5 speed manual and 4.56 gears the car was easy to drive and very quick, when I 4r70w swapped the car I went to 4.30 gears to lower the highway RPM just a bit and reduce drivetrain noise.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The 3.55 on an '08 must have been an option 'cause the standard ratio was 3.31. Did you have any traction at all in 1st gear with the 4.56? The top speed in that gear would only be ~32mph so you'd be changing up to 2nd in next to no time.

07 Boss

Reaction score
The standard consensus for the 3v is 4.10's with the manual and 3.73's for the auto. The gearing in the auto just seems to work better with the 3.73's.

That’s just silly.

That’s like saying 4.10 for na and 3.73 for supercharged.

Too many variables and driving styles to make blanket statements like that.

I daily a whippled auto and run 4.10’s. If I were to do it again I might go with 4.30’s. Don’t fear the gear.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The 3.55 on an '08 must have been an option 'cause the standard ratio was 3.31. Did you have any traction at all in 1st gear with the 4.56? The top speed in that gear would only be ~32mph so you'd be changing up to 2nd in next to no time.
My car was a factory stick car, the 4.56 gears were great with the standard transmission, they made the car so much easier to drive. Traction with street tires was fair, i run drag radials full time so I can't complain about traction from just rolling into the throttle.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
That’s just silly.

That’s like saying 4.10 for na and 3.73 for supercharged.

Too many variables and driving styles to make blanket statements like that.

I daily a whippled auto and run 4.10’s. If I were to do it again I might go with 4.30’s. Don’t fear the gear.

LOL funny you say that. Back in my 2V days that was pretty much the consensus. 4.10s and no less on a NA auto car, and 3.73 if you were going to go FI

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back