GT500 5.4 Into 2010 Mustang GT Using 3 Valve Computer

srk1959

Reaction score
I am looking for information on using the 2010 3 valve computer after swapping in a mostly stock 5.4 GT500 engine. I have already modified the 3 valve engine harness and am using the stock 2010 GT500 starter cable. I can use SCT tuning software.
The main issue is the camshaft sensor. The 3 valve has 2 sensors and the 5.4 only 1 sensor. But the biggest difference is how it reads the signal from the camshaft. Unfortunately I do not believe it is as easy as changing the number of cam sensors in the tune.
Anyone with info on this it would be greatly appreciated.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
I think you would be much better off using the GT500 computer. I really doubt you can make the 3v computer work with the GT500, if so, it'd be a cobbled together mess. That's just my opinion, maybe someone else knows more.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Get a GT500 computer. The 5.4 has 4 cams, you'd have to fully repin out that section of the harness plus modify the computer. WAY too much hassle

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since the GT500 does not have VCT, IMRC's or anything exotic, it should be possible to run off the 3V computer.
GT500's are a fairly simple machine, The second set of cams is driven off a fixed chain so it is actually less sophisticated than a stock 3V. The only ace up the sleeve for the stock GT500 ECU is that it will have the factory failsafes for forced induction in the base tune.

Do some research and compare sensors and plugs. Keeping the 3V ECU may be easier than swapping engine and body harnesses and trying to get gauges and everything else working.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back