Guidance on a ‘rattle’ I have..

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
So I’m out of town this week but right before I left I took the car out for a ride and noticed a noise I need to track down when I get back so I’m looking for where to start..

Car is ‘08 GT/CS, manual trans. When the car is running, sitting at a light or in the driveway, with the clutch out in neutral there is what sounds like a rattle I can hear coming through near the shifter boot. It doesn’t really sound like a worn bearing, more rhythmic than that. Put the clutch pedal down and leave it in neutral and the noise goes away, can’t hear it driving at all.

I’m gonna dive into it this weekend but I thought some pointers of issues others have had may point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Theres a tsb for trans dust plate vibrating as you describe I had a similiar issue long time ago and it was the plate which is a easy fix. Do a search for it on here and you will find more info.

After that could be bearing on the slave cylinder or pilot bearing which you have to drop the trans to inspect/replace.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I just wanted to update this thread in case anybody stumbles onto it.

I did a lot of googling about this weird rattle I have and found a few threads from way back in 2009 that put out an explanation that when you add cams the transmission can develop a rattle in neutral due to harmonics.

The solution was bumping up the idle RPM a hair, mine has the same solution. In neutral, clutch pedal released, at warm idle, there is a rhythmic noise that sounds best described as a rattle. If I simply lay my foot on the pedal the noise disappears. I may go in and up the idle a couple hundred RPM but for now I’m just gonna live with it knowing it’s common.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Yup, my magnum xl has that clatter and I have bone stock engine, and bought the trans new.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
It is VERY common, and not just modified cars; my bone stock 14 Camaro SS 1LE did it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back