H&R Clubsport Coilovers

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Has anyone used these? Looking for some advice/opinions/experiences on these! Thanks guys!

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
When it comes to suspension stuff in general, and certainly coilovers. You get what you pay for. There are no "free lunches" when it comes to suspension stuff.

$1000 coilovers work like $1000 coilovers.

$2000 coilovers work like $2000 coilovers.

$3000 coilovers work like $3000 coilovers.

$4000 coilovers work like $4000 coilovers.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
When it comes to suspension stuff in general, and certainly coilovers. You get what you pay for. There are no "free lunches" when it comes to suspension stuff.

$1000 coilovers work like $1000 coilovers.

$2000 coilovers work like $2000 coilovers.

$3000 coilovers work like $3000 coilovers.

$4000 coilovers work like $4000 coilovers.

Which is why I'm going full Griggs on my suspension hehehehe.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Which is why I'm going full Griggs on my suspension hehehehe.

Griggs dampers are nothing special. They are barely "coilovers". When you buy their stuff your paying for geometry. If I was dropping the coin on Griggs stuff I would use better dampers IMO.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Griggs dampers are nothing special. They are barely "coilovers". When you buy their stuff your paying for geometry. If I was dropping the coin on Griggs stuff I would use better dampers IMO.

Indeed, it's the geometry that's the best part about their suspension.

I'm a firm believer those guys know what they're doing though. Everything they make is designed to work as a system. Their stuff isn't an off the shelf item from Koni for our cars; it's actually something that only Griggs does with them. I'll have to see if I can find the article that details exactly what it is, but in pretty sure it has to do with the valving.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Here's what Griggs has on their site:

From here: http://www.griggsracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=4332_4309_4328_2040_3640&products_id=151

Quick Facts

Allows for easy adjustment of ride height and corner weights. (1 turn is equal to 1/8 of an inch change in ride height)
Allows for lighter weight K-member, control arms and other front end components to be used reducing both unsprung weight and overall vehicle mass.
Decreases motion ratio (how much the spring moves in relation to tire movement)
More predictable spring action.
Griggs coil over hardware components are made in USA form the finest aircraft quality aluminum, and sleeve is hard anodized for durability.
A Torrington thrust bearing at the top provides friction free steering in spite of spring load applied to the camber plate.
Coil-overs perform two primary functions: Reducing the unsprung weight (the coil-over springs are lighter do to there more outboard location) and it allows for the infinite adjustment to ride height.

Secondary benefits are decreasing the suspensions motion ratio, the expression of how much the spring moves in relation to how much the tire moves. By relocating the spring outboard to the strut in the front, or to the shock in the rear, and employing high quality materials, lighter weight and lower rate springs and spring seats and load supports can be used with increased roll control. This results in a far better performance package.

We use Koni shocks almost exclusivley for these reasons:

Quick Facts

Available in dual adjustable and lightweight aluminum dual adjustable configuration so you can adjust ride quality or transitional handling characteristics
Requires little to no service over an almost indefinite lifespan.
Griggs race winning custom valving
The two most important elements in a performance chassis are the tires and shocks (or struts). Dampers are a better term as their primary purpose is to dampen motion of the suspension movement of the chassis. So far only Koni provides the quality and performance we demand of dampers to be included in a GR40 Kit. And then in units that we have custom built to our specifications.

Proven by over 50 years of international competition including Formula One, and the only part of our GR40 systems not made in the US, The Dutch company is owned by the US conglomerate, ITT automotive group. Griggs Racing has worked closely with Koni in developing shocks and struts over the years that do exactly as required in delivering a serious performing chassis while improving handling, traction, ride quality, tire life, and safety. Also, they last virtually forever with very little service required. Koni’s are an investment you will have for a very long time. They are not “throw away units”.

Most replacement shock offerings usually “feel” pretty good upon installation, but after a short time their “low speed” characteristics degrade with subsequent handling degradation. Plus all other aftermarket units available are made with inadequate low speed damping, or digression, especially on compression (bump or jounce). The adjustability of your Konis is easy, if you follow our instructions. All but the struts are shipped pre adjusted on our shock dyno and most customers never need to adjust them to attain the ride quality or race winning performance they desire.

Most Griggs Racing standard offerings for GR40 Mustangs are not found in the Koni catalog under Mustang. These shocks are derivatives of the Koni oval track program and the struts are originally from the Koni showroom stock racing program. With valving perfected to suit our standards, and the win record of GR40 cars to prove the point, these are a necessary step to tuning any Mustang chassis to perfection.

Dual Adjustable rears (and SLA front DA shocks) are usually for track cars. They have a more digressive compression curve and simple on car adjustability of rebound makes them the serious club racer’s choice. The lighter aluminum body reduces unsprung weight for better handling and the special valving is a big improvement in corner exit adhesion. Dual adjustable shocks are an excellent choice for use on the rear of serious drag cars.

Single adjustable shocks came in various fixed compression valvings with adjustable rebound.

Soft – Street use when the best ride is the requirement.

Medium – Most popular for cars driven hard on the street and road courses, autocross track as well as American Iron race cars. These are also the most popular street-strip rear shocks

Firm – These are generally used on the rear of high powered drag cars and with sticky slicks. They are valved to afford better launch control and oppose tire shake.

And from here: http://www.griggsracing.com/index.php?cPath=4332_4309_4328_2000_3040

Three Kits are offered:

Griggs-VariShock

Developed in concert with Chris Alston especially for the GR40 Chassis as an exceptional value as an all-in-one-shock. Double adjustable damping is performed without tools simply by turning the adjusters with your hand while installed. Chassis tuning is simplified, and accurate ride height and corner weight adjustments are a breeze with the unique integral self locking coil over system. Extremely light weight. Wide range of both compression and rebound adjustment make these shocks the ideal choice for anyone that runs on the street and the track and/or wants to optimize their car for any track condition. Tested tough on track in freezing and high temperature environments, these shocks are very thermally stable and yield the best over all adhesion of any shock we have tested to date. Bruce Griggs developed this product in concert with Chris Alston especially for the GR40 chassis. It is an exceptional value as an all-in-one-shock. Bruce's #1 choice.

Standard Koni 30 series GR40 shock

The Koni 30 series is a f ixed compression and adjustable rebound, shock which was developed to provide a durable, fade free and consistent race worthy shock with ideal damping characteristics to compliment the GR40SLA system. Removable coil over hardware allows for inexpensive replacement of the shock itself should an altercation prove this necessary.

Ultra-light Koni 3012 series GR40 Dual adjustable shock

Externally adjustable in both bump and rebound, a digressive compression curve, and extreme light weight aluminum construction with integral coil over spring seats make this shock the serious racer’s unit of choice. Simplicity is paramount on a race car, and as with all Koni patented quality shocks, no external reservoir is needed reducing cost and complexity in a premium quality race shock.

Extremely durable components were developed for the NASCAR wars. Valving and dimensions were developed by Griggs Racing for GR40 SLA applications. Made to our exclusive specifications, each shock is fitted with Teflon lined stainless ball ends and tested and adjusted on our shock dyno (both compression and rebound) to our SLA baseline settings so you won’t have to fool with it if you don’t want to. Serviceable, these shocks are an investment you will be glad you made. Used on Old Blue in all races won since 2004 and many others including Ernesto Rocos 06 AIX championship winner (as delivered off our dyno with no additional adjustments).

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Note how they never once mentioned "single piston" or "gas charged" let alone "high pressure gas charged"?

They spent a bunch of time dancing around them not being high end. Or even mid-high end.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Note how they never once mentioned "single piston" or "gas charged" let alone "high pressure gas charged"?

They spent a bunch of time dancing around them not being high end. Or even mid-high end.

My experience is in suspension geometry, not suspension dampening. From everything I've seen Griggs blows everyone else out of the water in suspension geometry. Clearly they are not a budget suspension, so I can't fathom why they would skimp on dampening.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I can't fathom why they would skimp on dampening.

Because they have great markup in their fabbed stuff but not much in dampers. They could include really nice dampers, but it would make the cost of the kit go way up without much margin.

I wouldn't spend $1500 on those Griggs dampers.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Because they have great markup in their fabbed stuff but not much in dampers. They could include really nice dampers, but it would make the cost of the kit go way up without much margin.

I wouldn't spend $1500 on those Griggs dampers.

So what's the advantage to other brands?

What's a couple grand in a suspension that costs over 15k? Why wouldn't they use the best on their own vehicles?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
So what's the advantage to other brands?
It's not about brand, it's about technology. Almost ever damper manufacturer makes crap entry level stuff and good stuff. And some really good stuff.

What's a couple grand in a suspension that costs over 15k? Why wouldn't they use the best on their own vehicles?

Because it would make that kit $20,000. Or $25,000.

Two high end dampers.....................$3600. And front are more expensive.

http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/xtreme-grip-coil-over-system-rear-only-ohlins-ttx36il/

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
It's not about brand, it's about technology. Almost ever damper manufacturer makes crap entry level stuff and good stuff. And some really good stuff.

Because it would make that kit $20,000. Or $25,000.

Two high end dampers.....................$3600. And front are more expensive.

http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/xtreme-grip-coil-over-system-rear-only-ohlins-ttx36il/

I still find it hard to believe that literally the best manufacturer of custom S197 suspension (IMO) would use shitty components at any level.

In any case, once I get my setup, you and I should do some testing to really put the numbers down on the two different systems. Hehehehe.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I still find it hard to believe that literally the best manufacturer of custom S197 suspension (IMO) would use shitty components at any level.
You should have taken some economics courses too.

In any case, once I get my setup, you and I should do some testing to really put the numbers down on the two different systems. Hehehehe.
Doesn't matter what you're driving, I;ll always be faster!:chainsaw:

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
You should have taken some economics courses too.

Doesn't matter what you're driving, I;ll always be faster!:chainsaw:

Oh I did hahahaha. There's a lot to be said for being the best at something. The margins are huge that people will pay for that. We both know what that's like.

And we shall see!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back