Headers Install

Tony Conti

Reaction score
I have a set of new kooks headers and an x pipe that I was going to install in the spring and luckily my friend was going to let me use his lift. The mustang is in the garage for the winter and I'm getting the itch to work on it... Do you guys think it would be best to wait until spring when I can use that lift or do you think this is worth the time and effort of doing this in the garage on some jack stands? If I do this on jack stands what are some tips to save time and anger?

Also, the car already has bbk long tubes and the studs that attach the headers were replaced with bolts, should I get OEM studs or reuse those bolts? I already soaked these bolts in free-all incase god forbid one snapped.

Any advice is much appreciated.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I've heard of plenty of people doing headers on jack stands before. I did it in my parents driveway to my '66 back in high school, lol. I love everything about my lift though and can't imagine doing certain stuff on the ground anymore. Depends on how back you want to put them on I'd say. Get the car as high as possible, loosen motor mounts so you can jack 1 side up, or move the engine over a little, for clearance if you need to.

If the bolts are still working, I'd just keep em, no sense in fixing something that isn't broken. Are the kooks flanges thicker than the bbk ones? Bolts might not be long enough. Only issue I could see running into.

Tony Conti

Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't even take that into consideration with the bolts. I'd guess the kooks has a thicker flange but I don't know so I'll measure it when when I get home.

JC SSP

Reaction score
What's the big difference between BBK and Kooks long tubes? Large primaries or collectors, more ground clearance?

I have long tubes too, 1-5/8" on my Fox 5.0 and motor was built for 1-3/4" just don't want to go through all the trouble of R&R when car runs great with the smaller primary tubes. Not sure I would get much more out of her with a newer setup?

Tony Conti

Reaction score
What's the big difference between BBK and Kooks long tubes? Large primaries or collectors, more ground clearance?

I have long tubes too, 1-5/8" on my Fox 5.0 and motor was built for 1-3/4" just don't want to go through all the trouble of R&R when car runs great with the smaller primary tubes. Not sure I would get much more out of her with a newer setup?

Where I live I have to worry about E-check, not only do they look under the car for the cats but they scan it too. The bbk headers are a lot longer than the kooks which puts the cats way far back, like under the driver seat. This is causing issues with them getting up to temp and other shit which wacks out the computer and gives random mil codes for heater issues and I'm done with it. Even if that was somehow fixable, the chrome plating is complely gone and they're rusted bad, I could probably punch a hole in the primary with a punch and tap from a hammer. Plus I just want a good quality exhaust for the first time in my life lol.

Last edited:

Tony Conti

Reaction score
If I didn't have to deal with E-check I'd just have the rear o2s turned off. I tried that and they wouldn't pass the car because it gives a code for I think catalyst monitoring system readiness test not complete.

Last edited:

JC SSP

Reaction score
OK! Thanks for explaining buddy.

We used to have state smog inspections in FL and it was a mission to get my little 5.0 coupe to pass.

THANK GOD they did away with that crap.

Good luck and YES do the header swap ASAP so you can get your registration, tags and get your horse back on the road.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
How much faster/ safer can the job be done on a lift.. vs the garage, on jackstands ??

Joe combs

Reaction score
Being that you are going to need to remove the engine mounts (that bolt to the engine) to get to the bolts that are right above them. Then you are going to need to remove the steering shaft to get the headers in.... you are going to need a way to support the engine while you do this.
I got lucky when I did mine as we had the engine out doing a manual trans swap, and we just took the steering shaft loose and dropped the engine back in with the headers already bolted to the engine.

thumbnail_IMG_5187.jpg

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
You can jack the engine up with a floor jack after removing the mounts. I replaced my engine mounts with steeda ones while I was in there. I don't remember the steering shaft removal being that hard. One of my primaries rubbed on the steering shaft. I tried everything I could in the car, but ended up have to remove that header to dimple it enough for clearance.

Half of the bolts are reach from the top of the car anyways.
Just depends on if you wanna do the lower side laying down or standing up, lol

oh, A flex head wrench is A MUST when doing this job. On the coyote that is, but I imagine it's similar on the 4.6

JC SSP

Reaction score
It was much easier with my 05' GT with BBK shorties and my Fox 5.0 with long tubes. I did have to remove the exhaust, un-bolt engine mounts and jack up the engine, but nothing like removing the motor from the chassis. WOW!

Did both over the weekend in my driveway with ramps, floor jacks and air tools. I did the 05' with my Daughter & Son helping and the little coupe with just my older brother assisting. Cold Corona afterwards, NOT before. LOL

Tony Conti

Reaction score
How much faster/ safer can the job be done on a lift.. vs the garage, on jackstands ??

I've been in the mood to work on something but I don't want that feeling to turn into "why the fuck am I doing this" so I was just asking if its really that big of a hassle to do it in the garage.

Joe combs

Reaction score
It was much easier with my 05' GT with BBK shorties and my Fox 5.0 with long tubes. I did have to remove the exhaust, un-bolt engine mounts and jack up the engine, but nothing like removing the motor from the chassis. WOW!

Did both over the weekend in my driveway with ramps, floor jacks and air tools. I did the 05' with my Daughter & Son helping and the little coupe with just my older brother assisting. Cold Corona afterwards, NOT before. LOL

As I mentioned in my comment, we were doing the automatic to manual transmission conversion at the same time, along with underdrive pulleys, and charge motion delete...so already had the main engine and transmission harness out, along with the intake off... so it really wasnt that much more to pull it out. We started on Friday evening with pulling the intake off and disconnecting wiring along with draining the cooling system... then called it a night.... picked up saturday morning... and had the car back together and ready to roll by around 6 that evening... it went very smooth... But as can be seen in the picture it was on a rack also.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
So, my 2c.
I was telling myself, don't bother with LT's, but I went ahead and put LT's on the coyote. It was a headache of a job, and all my fears (both of em) were realized.
Exhaust leaks, header bolts coming lose, check, just as I thought.
No gain in power as seen in my HPDE laptimes. Time & money wasted, but experience gained.
Seriously considering putting the stock shorties back on now. This will be decided after Watkins Glen in 2023.

Also, the fit was not what I expected and the car is stupid loud with any heavy right foot. Do cops really need to see and HEAR you? lolol

As far as I know, any LT header out there is not emission certified, and should fail the visual inspection automatically. (it's good to be exempt lol)

Laga

Reaction score
I installed Kooks LT on my 05 with jack stands. Things I remember; you will have to loosen motor mounts to raise engine slightly. Loosen steering rack and remove drivers side bolt so it can be moved forward so steering shaft can be moved out of the way. The bolts holding the BBK have to be removed/loosened anyway so might as well replace them with proper fasteners.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Where I live I have to worry about E-check, not only do they look under the car for the cats but they scan it too. The bbk headers are a lot longer than the kooks which puts the cats way far back, like under the driver seat. This is causing issues with them getting up to temp and other shit which wacks out the computer and gives random mil codes for heater issues and I'm done with it. Even if that was somehow fixable, the chrome plating is complely gone and they're rusted bad, I could probably punch a hole in the primary with a punch and tap from a hammer. Plus I just want a good quality exhaust for the first time in my life lol.
My 2 cents........
The Kooks LTH's will for sure be much, much better w\ catalyst operations than any full-length LTH setup due to the mid-length design operational-wise (as you've already quoted), I myself can attest to this. If you have to use alternative bolts because of LTH header flange thickness differences, know that the Kooks LTH's are designed to use the OEM SS exhaust manifold studs\nuts as well as the OEM metal exhaust manifold gaskets so you do have this to fall back on if needed.

Other than this, what others have said.

On the install.......look at it this way........you have the entire winter storage time to get them installed so no rush & can take your time doing it off jackstands..............

Just a thought.

Tony Conti

Reaction score
Yesterday I sprayed all of the upper bolts with free-all and didn't do anything else. Today after I got home from work I jacked the car up and sprayed all of the lower bolts. I then said fuck it and pulled the starter while I was under there and then removed all of the upper bolts. I'll be removing the rest tomorrow after work. If something comes up I'll ask you guys for advice. I made up my mind and I want to do this in my own garage.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
So, my 2c.
I was telling myself, don't bother with LT's, but I went ahead and put LT's on the coyote. It was a headache of a job, and all my fears (both of em) were realized.
Exhaust leaks, header bolts coming lose, check, just as I thought.
No gain in power as seen in my HPDE lap times. Time & money wasted, but experience gained.
Seriously considering putting the stock shorties back on now. This will be decided after Watkins Glen in 2023.

Also, the fit was not what I expected and the car is stupid loud with any heavy right foot. Do cops really need to see and HEAR you? lolol

As far as I know, any LT header out there is not emission certified, and should fail the visual inspection automatically. (it's good to be exempt lol)

I appreciate the input, for your situation I completely understand your frustration. I'm slightly worried about both things you listed. I've wanted these headers since I got the car and I came across too good of a deal to pass up. I was actually considering switching back to the stock manifolds until this came up.

From the research I've done, these GREEN cats will pass emissions and in Ohio you have two options for E-check. #1 go to the testing facility and drive it in to get inspected on the scanner and visually. #2 is the self serve kiosk for after hours, all you have to do is scan it yourself and if it passes it'll print out a passed E-check sheet and you're good to go... talk about a loophole lol. I'll be doing the kiosk but I did pass visual inspection twice because I just tell them that's how I bought it and they give it a pass.

And as for not gaining much power from the headers I feel as if that could be the case for a 5.0 because its DOHC 4V and well engineered but on the 3V (not saying its poor engineering, just a dated design) I've seen dyno comparisons that show pretty significant gain for being N/A. Regardless I'm too far in to pull out now, we'll see what happens.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I installed Kooks LT on my 05 with jack stands. Things I remember; you will have to loosen motor mounts to raise engine slightly. Loosen steering rack and remove drivers side bolt so it can be moved forward so steering shaft can be moved out of the way. The bolts holding the BBK have to be removed/loosened anyway so might as well replace them with proper fasteners.

Thank you for these pointers. I would guess that the main weight of the car being supported by the jack stands would allow the motor to be jacked up off of the oil pan without crushing it if the motor mounts were disconnected, still sketches me out though.
My 2 cents........
The Kooks LTH's will for sure be much, much better w\ catalyst operations than any full-length LTH setup due to the mid-length design operational-wise (as you've already quoted), I myself can attest to this. If you have to use alternative bolts because of LTH header flange thickness differences, know that the Kooks LTH's are designed to use the OEM SS exhaust manifold studs\nuts as well as the OEM metal exhaust manifold gaskets so you do have this to fall back on if needed.

Other than this, what others have said.

On the install.......look at it this way........you have the entire winter storage time to get them installed so no rush & can take your time doing it off jackstands..............

Just a thought.

In that case I'll be ordering all of the factory hardware for sure. The headers came with metal gaskets, do you think those are ok to use or would my best bet be to go factory? The last thing I want to do is have to pull the headers off again just to put gaskets on. I have one more question regarding the header gaskets, I should've took a picture while I was in there but I noticed what looked like orange rtv squeezing out of the sides of the manifold gaskets... it was also on the threads of the manifold hardware. I'm guessing that this is Permatex high temp gasket maker, is this really necessary to prevent leaks?

header bolts.jpg

Last edited:

GlassTop09

Reaction score
I have one more question regarding the header gaskets, I should've took a picture while I was in there but I noticed what looked like orange rtv squeezing out of the sides of the manifold gaskets... it was also on the threads of the manifold hardware. I'm guessing that this is Permatex high temp gasket maker, is this really necessary to prevent leaks?
That depends on the type of exhaust gaskets being used........some also just use it as a precaution to ensure that no exhaust leaks occur because these are so much of a PITA to R&R............. Some use a copper-infused spray sealer to do the same task as the Permatex.....

Why most recommend using the OEM multi-layered metal exhaust gaskets if at all possible, but some header companies do provide good gaskets w\ their products.....but not all.

In the end your decision.....IMHO it doesn't hurt to use it if you want to.

Hope this helps.

PS edit--I read the rest of your last posting & saw where you already know the scoop concerning the emissions visual inspection side in your area so you should be fine. Just a tip to share......make damn sure that your car's EVAP system is up to snuff (mostly check the CPV to ensure it is fully sealing off when it is in closed position so engine won't be pulling in excess unmetered air\fuel vapors......this is the #1 reason for catalyst P0420\P0430 insufficiency DTC's outside of the cats outright failing themselves & will mess w\ these Kooks cats due to their smaller overall size thus less total substrate treating area to deal w\ any extra air entry that the PCM cannot control.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back