Help with ON3 2006 GT!

DixonsS197

Reaction score
First of all, I'm new here. Just bought an 06 GT with an on3 turbo. It's set at 5lbs while the freshly rebuilt engine breaks in. So I'll keep this brief. I drove the car from Oklahoma to MN with zero problems. Absolutely none. When I got home I turned the manual boost control up to 6 psi from 5. 30 minutes into my drive under a hard launch I blew a boost pipe off. Had to limp it a few miles to replace it. After restarting it idled roughly. I made it under a mile when it died.

It would start, run a second or two, then shut down. Unplugging the MAF got it running, but basically only at idle. Almost any throttle input and it dies. On a scan tool the MAF reading never changes. It has an older PAS extreme maf. Just ordered an HPX replacement. Tried 2 new OEM Ford sensors. No dice. Tested compression at about 160psi in every hole.

I'm lost...... really need to get my car home st least. It's too low to even load it on a trailer without damage.

Screenshot_20190530-200848_Facebook.jpg

teeje

Reaction score
Long shot, but have you tried clearing the KAM? (Keep alive memory) Also, make sure no vacuum lines got disconnected, doubt it, but possible.

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
under a hard launch

i seem to recall that the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor sometimes failed under hard launch conditions.

If you remove the vacuum line that runs from the FRPS to the Intake Manifold and smell gas in it, that
might mean it has failed.

Good luck and beautiful car

teeje

Reaction score
i seem to recall that the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor sometimes failed under hard launch conditions.

If you remove the vacuum line that runs from the FRPS to the Intake Manifold and smell gas in it, that
might mean it has failed.

Good luck and beautiful car
That is correct also. I was going to mention this. Good catch

DixonsS197

Reaction score
We've tested for every kind of leak imaginable. Reset the KAM. I even checked compression and leak down in the unlikely event the boost lost damaged the engine. We've all but checked to make sure the earth didn't start spinning in a different direction overnight lol.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the MAF failed and given the tuning it won't run without one or with a factory one. I did notice there's no screen before the MAF sensor in the ON3 piping. That seems foolish and may have contributed to destroying the sensor when the pipe blew off a foot before it.

I even entertained the idea that we hurt the electric throttle when it was opened manually the day before during a routine checkup and cleaning of the throttle body. I can't get the tuner to return a call to tell me if there's something obvious I can check. I'm new to turbocharged gas engines, especially modified ones.

teeje

Reaction score
Not sure what you have access to but do you by chance get a read out for TPS?

DixonsS197

Reaction score
We just checked it on the scan tool. It never reads over 75.7% WOT. Not sure if it's always that way, but it's odd. Closed throttle reads 18%

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
These cars are sensitive. You can't be tuned for one MAF and then drop in a stock MAF and expect it to run. The older cars might run poorly, but these don't like it at all. If the FRPS is fine you might want to do a smoke check and see if anything happened to the intake.

DixonsS197

Reaction score
I wasn't expecting it to run on the factory MAF, but I hoped to get a reading from that one to rule out a circuit issue. We later tested that and ruled that out also. Leak tested the entire exhaust/ turbo system. Smoke tested the intake. Even tried propane and carb cleaner on it before that. I'm really thinking the absence of the MAF, the correctly calibrated one, is the issue. Could just be the blown pipe sent debris in that took out the sensor. That's my best guess, but I just wanted to pick the brains of more experienced people to see if there's something I would have overlooked. I expected the TB spring opening the plates slightly to give me the value I got for the TP at idle, but didn't expect a low percentage at idle.

If the MAF sensor alone caused this, sounds like keeping a spare on hand is crucial.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Did you ever check the FRPS? There shouldn't be any need to carry a spare MAF. I've been dealing with FI since 2006 and have blown a few pipes off. Never killed a MAF that way.

DixonsS197

Reaction score
It's not leaking past the sensor, that much I've determined. It does show values on the scan tool, but without knowing what it was programmed for I have no way to know if those values are appropriate.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Like mentioned it wont run on a different maf scaling. There is no need for a screen on a blow thru slot maf application either.

First thoughts are if a coupler popped off at 5-6psi then it was loose and likely leaking under vac/boost. If it was tuned like that with a leak near the maf and now the leak is fixed that can throw off the tune and could cause it to run bad.

Biggest issue I see is you need to fix the turbo clocking the feed needs to be straight up at the 12 o'clock position. It's likely pushing oil into turbine/hotside or compressor cover and coldside. Remove the bottom coupler at the intercooler and look for oil.

Also looks like the mbc pressure reference is not connected. If that popped out from a manifold source there is a vac leak now. That leak will also affect frps operation.

Last edited:

nfrizell

Reaction score
I think those tps numbers are consistant with values for idle and full throttle. I remember seeing similar values when data logging my car for tune.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Also all these connections are suspect. It's a good idea to use a cable tie or clamp etc on all these T off barb lines.

20190606_075520.jpg

20190606_075545.jpg

DixonsS197

Reaction score
Photos are misleading. That MBC isn't being used anymore. The previous owner left it underhood when the new one was installed in cabin. We have been smoke testing and checking every line on the car to find leaks. I cut all the zip ties to check all the hoses. These photos just don't show it buttoned up correctly.

Interesting someone caught the turbo clocking issue which I intended to remedy today. It's the only thing I caught from reading on3's website lol. Not sure why it was installed this way. It's a fairly fresh build, had less than 3,000 miles on it when I bought it. I've put less than 1,000 on it.

To summarize, I've returned the car to exactly the form I got it in. The boost pipe failure was likely our fault. The day before it blew off we removed that pipe to check the throttle body for dirt or debris. It only had a turbo guard on it when I bought it, no filter. I even set it back to that configuration lol.

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
These cars are sensitive. You can't be tuned for one MAF and then drop in a stock MAF and expect it to run. The older cars might run poorly, but these don't like it at all. If the FRPS is fine you might want to do a smoke check and see if anything happened to the intake.

I disgree, at least somewhat. VMP gave me a tune at first with the round MAF that comes with the Phs 3
Rousch TVS (open air cleaner). I was using the closed AC, which uses an oval MAF. Still ran, but ran like crap when cold.

DixonsS197

Reaction score
No. It's at my friend's place about 30 miles away. I'll have a new MAF to try in the morning, otherwise I'm SOL, LOL.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back