HID upgrade

Discussion in '2007+ Mustang GT500 Tech' started by kazman59, Mar 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. kazman59

kazman59 King of Kazmania

I got a set of Ford GT500 factory HID Headlights from an '08. When I plug them into my '07 GT500 harness they light up for 3 seconds then shut off. Doesn't matter running or not. Could this be due to CANBUS or lack there of? All manual, no DRL.

Anyone have any experience with this?
    TIA.

2. Macman45

Macman45 Resident Geriatric

... Did you have factory HID's before or no?

3. Macman45

These cars don't have CANBUS or LINBUS for that matter, the SJB controls current output to various components rather than a trigger wire like German cars etc. If you are doing an actual OEM Retrofit from halogen to HID you are in for a little treat, more than just swapping headlight buckets is needed. If you are on a factory halogen harness or even an HID harness that has not been modified with a current limiting diode, you may have damaged the ballasts. PM me with more questions as I've done this swap before.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  4. Macman45

Upon reflection I don't think HID was an option on a 07 so you must have a Halogen car. Don't run em anymore until you source an 08-09 HID GT500 front headlight harness from Ford. That is required for the swap and includes the relays to trigger the ballasts

5. kazman59

kazman59 King of Kazmania

No

I'll send pm tomorrow...

Roger that, thanks for the quick reply. I'll be in contact.