How screwed is my paint ?!?

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Seer and anyone else if you have and ideas for me that would be great .

Since I'm keeping the car. I was wondering if the is anything I can do at this point to make any of this better as I cannot afford a new paint job unless its done under insurance.

Pinstripe on roof
e3uqa8ag.jpg

Shit on good and whole car with misc. scratches.
amuhypu8.jpg

qudyjery.jpg

agy5eny8.jpg

asa4a8y9.jpg

Trunk
3yquryna.jpg

New shit on roof

e8a2a8a9.jpg

vude8uha.jpg

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lol that is after a good cleaning.I just did it . Haha

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
Damn, sorry ha. Are those all little chips or is it something on the paint?

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn, sorry ha. Are those all little chips or is it something on the paint?

It's like a chemical fall out is the best way I can explain it . It's "concave" in the paint.

JCCNY

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like the solar system. Clay and full correction with a rotary will help. Probably some wet sanding too.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks like the solar system. Clay and full correction with a rotary will help. Probably some wet sanding too.

It's been clayed twice in the past . No change from that. I wish I new how to wet sand, but I don't and ain't paying for it being getting a house in the next 5 months and baby will be here march/April. So spending a ton of money is outta the question. I may try to attempt to wet sand it once I get into a house and have a garage.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What did you "not" do to protect it from this type of weathering?

Bought it like that back in 2009. Stealership didn't wash it when I bought it. I was too excited after I washed it and never realized it for a while. Should have, but didn't .

Hotrodder

forum member
Reaction score
There are plenty of detailers out there that would charge in the 300$ range for a looooong detail which would be multiple processes of correction. I can ask my brother if there are any he recommends since he lives in sugarland and works in Houston. There's a guy here in IL that clays, wet sands, buffs, clays, wet sands, buffs, polishes, glazes, so on and so on until he gets the paint fixed. Doesn't just wax it and make it look pret but actually tries to correct it. I can run this past him also and see what he says. Looks to me though that if all those spots are missing paint, there's nothing anything will do for it.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
ask seer....whenever i see detailing things he usually has the best answer

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
That's pretty bad. Looks like it's spent it's life being washed at drive through car washes and parked outside. Whatever you do from this point on needs to be the opposite of what has been done to it before this.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's pretty bad. Looks like it's spent it's life being washed at drive through car washes and parked outside. Whatever you do from this point on needs to be the opposite of what has been done to it before this.

That's what I wanna do but don't know where to start.

acrophobia13

eat. sleep. drive.
Reaction score
You ought to invest in at the very least a porter cable xp 7424, pads, compound, polish, wax, etc...Seer will chime in soon
I agree with this, but OP, your paint is pretty far gone. I think you'd be better off paying for a real detailer to do as much of a correction as possible, then worry about buying a PC/pads/compounds+polishes/waxes etc going forward.
If you have little/no paint correction experience, you'll have a hell of a time trying to get that car back to looking good again. The good news is once it's corrected (as much as possible, anyway) you'll be "starting over" and can take care of it the right way this time.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Stupid question. I'm looking at 300-600 for what your talkin about ?

Matt.S@Lethal

forum member
Reaction score
The scratches can be removed, the pitting cannot. The fading / chalky look on the roof as shown in the last two pics indicates early stages of clear coat failure. Thin paint does not last long, and your paint is already thin if it looks like that. Wet sanding and even compounding will make it look nice temporarily, but in the long run, you'll be decreasing the life of your paint drastically. I would recommend removing the oxidation with a non-abrasive polish like Klasse All In One if you want to preserve the finish for as long as possible, at least on the horizontal surfaces such as the roof.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ya and the shitty thing for the past 5 months its been sitting in the drive way being I'm living with my parents, but the 2 years before that it was garage kept. So I know I'm going to see it just eat away.

I really wanna get a outdoor cover but don't know if the HOA will approve of it.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
I would wait for Seer to chime in, that guy is a magician with cleaning and paint, but Fromm the looks of it you may want to consider re-painting it

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back