How to fix the Water Leak on the Passenger floor

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting Site about the leak
http://editpacific.com/mustang.html

Reference TSB 07-14-6

With all the Rain we have been having I got the dreaded leak, I had 4 inches of water on my passenger floor, so the first thing I had to do it suck up the water with a shop vac and pull the carpet up to dry in. I used a dual squirrel cage fan to dry it.

WaterLeak-1.jpg

Well I start by opening the hood, and locate the clips holding the cowel cover. use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the center pin then remove the hold down clip. Remove the plastic cover.

WaterLeak-2.jpg

Notice the water, thats the leaking area..

WaterLeak-3.jpg

To remove the Grommits use a screwdriver to push the pin and pry up.

WaterLeak-4.jpg

Once removed you can clean and put aside, if you find some broken gaskets you can make one out of a electrical cover (wet location) gasket. See slide #9 below

WaterLeak-4a.jpg

Remove the Driver side cover as well, use a piller to remove the wiper arms..

WaterLeak-5.jpg

In this slide you can see the Water in the hole, I blew it out with an air tool.

WaterLeak-6.jpg

Now the TSB Says Not to use SILICONE, use TA-2 Motorcraft Urethane Adheseve / Seam sealer, Well at $58.00 and I had to order it, I thought it was a bit steep and I needed it now, So I called NAPA and they have the Urethane sealent for $12.00 Also a new Grommet and Gasket is $7.86 Each. I made my own..

WaterLeak-8.jpg

If you find some broken gaskets you can make one out of a electrical cover (wet location) gasket
WaterLeak-8a.jpg

This Sealent is the DEVILS SPAWN !! it gets on everything and stains your skin so wear gloves.

Apply a small amount of the sealer around the holes, slip the Gasket on the grommet then press into the hole until you hear the clips click, do not push too hard you will push the sealent out and may create a gap.

If you get some sealent on a surface or hands it can be cleaned up with Mineral Spirits.

WaterLeak-9.jpg

Follow this process for all ten grommets and replace the covers and your set. No More leaks, We Hope.

Last edited:

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very nice write-up. I wonder if I'll have to do this someday. I hope not!

You will, the foam gasket compresses and allows water to leak past them.
I would do the Fix now before it becomes an issue.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
What a freaking hassle. I hope mine doesnt develop that issue.

patrick

Eleanor05

forum member
Reaction score
Oh yeah had mine removed my friend works at the ford dealer and is getting constant mustangs with water in their cabins do to the rubber gromit catching leaves, acorns, etc and causing backup. You just need to remove it and thats it. No need for any other type of fix.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah had mine removed my friend works at the ford dealer and is getting constant mustangs with water in their cabins do to the rubber gromit catching leaves, acorns, etc and causing backup. You just need to remove it and thats it. No need for any other type of fix.

Well my car stays in the Garage most of it's life and I have no leaves or other stuff clogging up the drain, my leak was from these tabs and gaskets. Water runs off the windshield and right into the bad gromit and fills the cavity that runs right into the cabin over the SJB location.

Eleanor05

forum member
Reaction score
Well my car stays in the Garage most of it's life and I have no leaves or other stuff clogging up the drain, my leak was from these tabs and gaskets. Water runs off the windshield and right into the bad gromit and fills the cavity that runs right into the cabin over the SJB location.
HuH! Yeah mine is not garaged and when we took it out we had alot of nature debris inside that pocket grommit. My (TK) 2005 is parked outside as well. My next mod after my stage 2 cams is going to be a garage.

ixtlan

Reaction score
Nice DIY!!!!

Gotta love that sealant and you called it by the correct name.
I walk in a room with that stuff and it is all over me.:bravo:

PompadourBlues

They be obstreperous
Reaction score
Great write up! I'm going to have to do this when I get a chance. Damn I wish I had a garage, lol.

Turbolvr321

Reaction score
Same issue here. Fixed it in about 5 minutes. I was really worried at first!

predator

Reaction score
Dont you think it would be worth the trouble to drill a hole or two were the water sits on the pinch weld area to prevent it from pooling there and leaking past the grommit?

1fast05

I wanna go fast
Reaction score
Unfortunately during during a motor swap, My car was down for a year and a half and one day i happened to look in the car and the passenger front and rear floor boards were 2 inches deep in water so i freaked out and drilled a few holes in my passenger side rear floor board to drain it :ugh1:, Thats when i got on here and found out the problem, great article by the way!!

martinr69

Reaction score
WaterLeak-3.jpg

I did mine over the weekend and it rained last night. Now where the airfilter is I have that area filled with water.

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
I have just been snake bit by this one too. in process fixing it. Do have water in those grommet holes in cowl channel.Who know how long it has been leaking since its a garage queen.

Thanks for an outstanding write up!

martinr69

Reaction score
I have just been snake bit by this one too. in process fixing it. Do have water in those grommet holes in cowl channel.Who know how long it has been leaking since its a garage queen.

Thanks for an outstanding write up!

I did this and it's now fixed. I think the laying water was there from the previous rain. Since then it has rained several times and no leaking. But I did noticed I to had to make my own gaskets

Reaction score
I have a water leak on the drivers side floorboard. It trickles down my left foot every time it rains. :(
I found out it is my windshield that is leaking. My windshield was apparently replaced sometime before I owned it and they did a sloppy job at sealing it. Now it leaks....

I still have to get that fixed.

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
Hell its even leaking just a tad on the drivers side. Today...the 4th Of July I spent hrs removing the cowls but that passenger side wiper was a basterd to get off. I had to emprovise with a puller and a 5/16 1/4 inch socket to enable the puller to stay centered over the wiper gear shaft...I won this battle, mother fucker FOMOCO. The next looks like most of the grommets need to be replace and, the center one that hold in place the driver side cowel was completly gone, fucking FOMOCO CHEAP SHIT.

This is a day I like to spend my 4th.

ANyway I will hit my favorite dealership with a wake up fucking call in the morning.

This from my evalution will hit most cars if just about all of them. All stang drivers should head this. Its not that big of a job but if not addressed proactively could led to major failors due to the drip points.

Stangcrazy I thought it was my windshield too and just had it replaced and it still leaked so I would look into it before throwing $$$ out. Once you pull out the cowl and pop off the grommets the evidence will be obvious.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Stangcrazy I thought it was my windshield too and just had it replaced and it still leaked so I would look into it before throwing $$$ out. Once you pull out the cowl and pop of the grommets the evidence will be obvious.[/QUOTE said:
We did that already and it was clean... no problems in there. :/

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back