How to: Raptor shift light install

menace07

forum member
Reaction score
Just installed a raptor shift light on my 07 gt. This was just the shift light, not the dual mode with launch rpm. I'm not by any means a master mechanic, but I thought I'd throw up a few pics and hints.

I decided to mount my shift light in the drivers side a/c vent for a slightly stealthy look. It is still very visible with the vents open. Those who already have a raptor can attest to its near-nuclear brightness.

Took the chrome trim ring/vents off by prying gently with a small screwdriver(piece of cake)
feb3ae8d.jpg

Next took the inner plastic tube out by using a small screwdriver to gently pry up the plastic tabs and popped it right out
49a4b866.jpg

Next i drilled a small hole in the part I just removed in order to feed the raptor wires down below the dash. I also used a small screw to secure the raptor mount inside the plastic tube, taking care to mount it far enough back that the vents would open and close normally.

small hole with wires pushed through
b5ab9085.jpg

raptor mounted inside
0ad94e41.jpg

I then fed the excess wiring down into the drivers side foot well and reinstalled the vent pieces.
vent with shift light installed
138a02d1.jpg

Next I fed the wires through the grommet located near the clutch pedal. Just poked a hole with a punch then pushed the excess wire through the hole with a flathead screwdriver.
c9f46e9e.jpg

Now for the tricky part...the wires come through below the master cylinder/brake resevoir. I ended up fishing it out from above the engine using a long screwdriver. I've heard some people take the drivers side wheel and inner fender well off to get to it, but I was able to grab it without too much trouble.

heres the area where the wires come out
1187a89d.jpg

next I ran the wire along existing wiring harness to the drivers side rear coil. I CAREFULLY cut a small slit in the Raptor wire loom to expose the GREEN pick up wire. I made sure I had enough exposed and cut the wire. I then removed some of the electrical tape around the COP to expose the coil wire (white w/ red stripe). I cut away a small piece of the insulation and soldered the green wire to the white wire. Then buttoned everything back up with electrical tape.

Green wire from raptor exposed
b4a4f099.jpg

Wires from COP
7b8613b3.jpg

Next I ran the rest of the Raptor wire loom around the back of the engine and along existing wiring to the fuse box on the passenger side of the engine compartment. There are a couple of ground screws near the fuse box, so pick one and connect the black wire from the raptor to a ground screw.

Finally, connect the remaining red wire to a switched 12v wire going into the fuse box. I needed a second set of hands to turn the key on and off while I tested wires to see which ones only came on with the key. There are a billion wires, but I found one in a bundle of wires going to the outside of the fuse box near the passenger side. I believe it was Green/light green. Expose some of the wire, solder, and patch up with electrical tape.

I used corrugated wire loom and zip ties to keep everything looking factory and protect the wires from the elements.

menace07

forum member
Reaction score
Also of note, there are apparently several ways/places to find a keyed 12volt source and ground...I was just following the crappy directions on the raptor website :)

menace07

forum member
Reaction score
Very easy...just pop the vent out and pop the raptor out of Its bracket (it just snaps in). Takes a minute.

queenbeeGT

grab her
Reaction score
I mounted my raptor on the dash on the corner looks pretty cool, I'll post some pics...

mpf

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure to write back and let us know how visable the light is when tripped on.
I keep my louver things pointed at the window, you think I would notice raptor go on
in this position?
Nice idea/write-up. Thanks.

menace07

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure to write back and let us know how visable the light is when tripped on.
I keep my louver things pointed at the window, you think I would notice raptor go on
in this position?
Nice idea/write-up. Thanks.

It was easy for me to see even with the cap on...it would be even more bright with the bulbs exposed.

Thanks for the compliments! Hopefully people find it useful...I feel like I'm always taking info and don't get to give much back!

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info as I just used it to finish my install. But I found it easier to just pull out the entire gauge cover as you can drill both holes and do the install without having to pull out the individual vent pieces. I also added a power switch in my console (next to the cigarette lighter) so the light is not activated all the time.

I think it is unavoidable, but did your vent rotation get limited after the install as mine will only rotate about 70 degrees each way as it hits the Raptor mount? Not a big deal though as it still rotates far enough to direct air towards the drivers seat or window.

I am hitting the track next Sat., so we will see how this location works out.

Last edited:

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Good job man , I put mine on the pod pillar , but I like your spot too .

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
recently had a little problem with my raptor dual mode. the speedometer started acting crazy...after a little trouble shooting i disconnected the shift light from the speedometer sensor wire and it eliminated the problem. i sent an email to the raptor people a week ago about it...but no response

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up a dead thread but anyone put one in the 12v accessory plug above the radio? I want to add one one to mine but haven't really seen a DIY on it. Or which ones fit right and look good.

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
Great write up, i will be installing mine when i come home.

Sorry to bring up a dead thread but anyone put one in the 12v accessory plug above the radio? I want to add one one to mine but haven't really seen a DIY on it. Or which ones fit right and look good.

I was thinking about installing mine in this location also. I had a plug on it as i was running my radar detector through it, but i think i will change the location of the radar detector and wire it into the started key ignition switch maybe?

doogie

forum member
Reaction score

PMP used to make a billet piece for installing a Raptor in that location, but they are hard to find. You basically swapped out the accessory plug for the mount and it looks like this installed...

IMG_5642.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back