How to Silence Rear Axle Noise?

Discussion in '2005+ Ford Mustang v6 4.0L Tech' started by Chistopher, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Rugermack

Rugermack Junior Member

My 373 are quiet, only 10k on them.

2. Edmon

Edmon Junior Member

So the mechanic said the flange wobbles and he heard the pinion bearing is noisy.
    If I renew the bearings and the flange, with I disrupt the backlash and the pinion depth ?
    Thanks

3. Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson corner barstool sitter

Chances are that the flange is OK and its wobbling is due to the bearing issue. Unless the flange itself shows evidence of damage (unlikely).

Norm

Edmon likes this.
  4. Edmon

Edmon Junior Member

5. Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson corner barstool sitter

Yes.

Norm

Edmon likes this.
  6. SuperSonic05

SuperSonic05 forum member

If I can also jump in here with my Rear Axle Noise

When driving highway speeds for a while, 30mins or so, I start to hear a high pitch noise. It's almost like a dog whistle noise, I tried to record it but is able to. It mostly goes away if accelerating. At first, it will only be there at highway speeds but after some time going highway speeds, it can be heard at normal street speeds. If I stop for a while the noise will go ways and come back again after some time.

a few years ago I had work done on the rear end (a Posi unit, main bearing, seals)

7. Midlife Crises

Midlife Crises Senior Member

Differential heats up and makes noise. Change the fluid and see what happens.

8. Midlife Crises

All this talk of laud differentials. I installed this

0148FC4F-C5D9-4F17-9638-4569CBE9FA60.jpeg
    And a set of these

2D6B87C0-9048-489E-BC31-25221A7441F1.jpeg
    And now it sounds like there is a dump truck in my back seat. Is that normal?

MrBhp likes this.
  9. Mach2burnout

Mach2burnout 05 Redfire GT

Yes, when you install heim joint fittings where rubber originally was, your gonna get noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. BirdMan65

BirdMan65 Junior Member

You might try removing ring & pinion. On small 90* air grinder and using a 2" dia. 80 grit disc chamfering all edges on both the R & P removing the sharp corners which I think might be causing the gears to scream. I am planning on doing this on my 06 GT but haven't gotten around to it.

11. gbstang

gbstang Member

Friggin seriously--LOL

12. Midlife Crises

If you look closely you can see that the sharp edges were removed by the manufacture in the polishing process. I don’t know what more could be done in the sharp edge area. The gears don’t engage heavily on the edges.

CA22E334-895E-470F-9386-FAB0217D4B30.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.