I haven't been around in a while but heres what im up to :D

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know i haven't been around in a while but winters are tough for me. 4 hockey teams, plus the games i fill in for other teams makes it almost 5 teams, plus work. add it all up and I don't have time to do jack squat. But with hockey on a small break, i started my winter project, albeit a bit late, haha.

My deadline to have everything done is April 22nd as it gives me the entire weekend to test and work out any issues before my track day on the 25th.

So as most of the original crowd here knows, I have been fighting major IAT issues at idle, cruise, and the track. Basically all the time. I will rarely see under 130 degree temps and at the end of a track pass could see well over 200 degrees at times. I never had these problems on the 2.4L KB at 10psi and I am currently at 14psi on a 2.6H.

After swapping the motor and the blower to a 2.6H, I was utilizing a 6 gallon tank in the trunk, a remote Meziere water pump, and a Gord's Ford Performance Heat exchanger(which i had with the 2.4L KB as well.) This is where the IAT issues began. Even with ice in the trunk, I would still hit 170 degrees or higher (usually higher) at the end of a track pass. At this point the Meziere pump was mounted on the side of the trunk tank.

I moved the pump under the car to ensure a gravity feed of fluid to the pump, but this did not help either.

I saw others using and suggesting a smaller pump, stating that the Meziere was pumping too quickly and the water was in and out of the heat exchanger before it had time to transfer the heat. At this point i swapped the pump to a Lightning (also called FRPP) Pump made by Bosch. This made zero difference in my IAT temps.

I added twin 7" ( I think they were 7") SPAL fans to the HE, and again, they only seemed to help cool down the fluid after a run, not help my IAT's in a race or cruising around town. The problem remained.

At this point i got fed up with the heat exchanger and removed it in favor of a Killer Chiller. Now I had Ice cold water flowing through the system, sometimes as low as 35 degrees. My IAT temps lowered only slightly, by less than 20 degrees at idle and cruise, and i was still seeing well over 170 degrees at the end of a 10 second track pass. I bypassed the in cabin cooling for maximum intercooler fluid cooling with the kit. Still no answer to my IAT issues.

At this point i performed a motor swap to remove the Larry_H motor and put in the new 302 I got from Brian (Dirtydogofthedesert). Not that i thought the motor was the problem, but even a motor swap did not solve the issue.

I removed the intercooler completely and with simple green diluted with water, proceeded to clean the intercooler fins themselves to make sure they werent coated with oil or anything else. I also changed the IAT sensor at this time as well. Still no change in my IAT temps.

Anyway fast forward to today. I have removed the Kenne Bell Blower and have shipped it to them to have tested. The only 2 parts in the entire system that haven't been replaced are the blower and the intercooler so its worth a shot. I should have it back in about 2 weeks. As a side note, I did have to have the snout replaced once, as soemthing inside melted (plastic piece i think it was) so that should show excessive heat IMO.

I have removed the Killer Chiller and the entire intercooler system, save for the manifold, from the car. I have removed the AC compressor, condensor, accumulator, and all of the lines from the car as well.

I have ordered an AFCO Dual Pass Heat exchanger with twin 10" Fans, a custom built Intercooler tank with a in-tank Rule 2000 pump, a Ford Racing A/C Delete bracket, a 8 Rib A/C Delete Pulley, and about 50' of hose to run my lines from the trunk to the engine bay. I'm waiting on all of it to arrive, but the tear down is complete, and I will be installing the components as they arrive. I figure by the time everything does arrive, it'll just need final hookup and some minor electrical wiring. Oh yea all the loose wires you see? Im rewiring anything i can to make it cleaner. It was a rats nest in there when I got it from Ford, and I only made it 10x worse haha.

IMG_20110327_163155.jpg

IMG_20110327_163212.jpg

IMG_20110327_163224.jpg

IMG_20110327_163242.jpg

Last edited:

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Well dang...I was wondering what you have been up to after not seeing you much on here. I hope you figure out that damn IAT issue that's been plaguing you forever finally. Also, your reservoir set-up sounds similar to what I did recently on my car with a Chiseled Performance spare tire well tank with a built in rule pump. Works pretty good so far and I am still using the stock edelbrock heat exchanger.

Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i was looking into chisled but after promise and promise to call me back, never calling, i ditched them and found someone else.

http://dadscustomintercoolertank.com/

Take a look at his photobucket gallary. the guy is a genius, and not just for intercooelr tanks.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good luck Ron. I only was able to get 2 runs in with my new setup before the track closed. I was hitting 180F at the end of the quarter but I had a couple of issues with the pump and bypass valve. Once I got them worked out the track closed. I also have a small shot to cool things done next time out. Have you ever run you setup with the nitrous?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
just on the dyno, and that was the old motor, old trans, and old tune, so no! lol

I was thinknig about running the 25 shot that it was set up for as a method to cool the charge. at 25 shots i figure a bottle will last a while.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought you didn't love us anymore Ron. Good to see you back.

Good luck with the next rendition of IAT lowering. Let us know how it works out.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thread HIJACK .

Ron what teams you playing with ...

no one you'd know, haha

I thought you didn't love us anymore Ron. Good to see you back.

Good luck with the next rendition of IAT lowering. Let us know how it works out.

Im back and Id never leave you guys. Your the best........fucking noobs haha

+1 on DADS stuff! runing one of his tanks in the trunk of my cobra

Thanks for an additional vote of confidence. Donny seemed nice and knowledgeable.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i was looking into chisled but after promise and promise to call me back, never calling, i ditched them and found someone else.

http://dadscustomintercoolertank.com/

Take a look at his photobucket gallary. the guy is a genius, and not just for intercooelr tanks.

funny you mention him, because I just got mine from this guy a few months ago. Heres mine i got from him.

icebox.jpg

Donny does great work, communication with him was instant pretty much through email. I highly recommend him to anybody.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
funny you mention him, because I just got mine from this guy a few months ago. Heres mine i got from him.

icebox.jpg

Donny does great work, communication with him was instant pretty much through email. I highly recommend him to anybody.

man those welds are PERFECT!

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Ron, have you thought about water or meth injection?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ron, have you thought about water or meth injection?

I have actually, but i have no idea how or if you could use it in conjunction with a Nitrous kit, which I already have on the car. While I have never used the nitrous at the track, I was thinking about a small shot just to cool the IATs

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I have actually, but i have no idea how or if you could use it in conjunction with a Nitrous kit, which I already have on the car. While I have never used the nitrous at the track, I was thinking about a small shot just to cool the IATs

IMO unless you needed more power I wouldn't have added the nitrous kit. A water injection setup can drastically cool intake temps and requires NO to little tuning while meth and nitrous will/may. Not to mention water is cheap and safe. Keep us posted with how everything works out. Don't forget to datalog!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IMO unless you needed more power I wouldn't have added the nitrous kit. A water injection setup can drastically cool intake temps and requires NO to little tuning while meth and nitrous will/may. Not to mention water is cheap and safe. Keep us posted with how everything works out. Don't forget to datalog!

more power was always needed haha

My original plan was to run 20psi on the blower and a 100-125 shot of the juice in 2nd and third gear so it wouldnt affect my launch

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The AFCO heat exchanger and new hose arrived yesterday so Ill be bolting it up tonight if i dont get lazy and running the lines from the heat exchanger and intercooler to the trunk to await the tank when it arrives.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Made some progress today. I managed to remove the intercooler and clean it out with a mixture of hot water/simple green. I did both inside and outside of the intercooler. I attached a hose to the intercooler fitting to test flow in both directions and the flow is good, so I know my IAT issues aren't due to the intercooler.

I installed the 8 Rib A/C Delete as well, I'm just waiting on a spacer for the pulley from GI Joe.

I mocked up all of the coolant hoses in the positions i think are best to keep them from hanging too low or coming near the exhaust at all. I used the BMR sub-frame connectors as channels for the hose, routing them between the sub frame connector and the floor pan. I ran them up and over the axles, using a built in lip on the inner wheel well to keep the hose away from anything that can move and the over-axle exhaust pipes. I used the existing holes from my previous trunk tank and coiled the extra hose in the trunk. I was able to route all hoses without using any 90* turns so i kept the hoses straight and made wide gradual turns with the hoses to make sure there wouldn't be any flow issues. I will take pics tomorrow as I am pretty pleased with how I managed to route them. Tomorrow I will finalize all of the positions of the hose, make any small adjustments if necessary, and then tighten everything down to await the tank's arrival.

While I was doing all of that, Jim Bell from KB called me himself and we talked about my issue with the IAT's. He said they flow tested the blower and intake manifold and found no issues with the blower. When I asked about it possibly needing a rebuild he said no, that it was in great shape and he would feel guilty taking the money to rebuild it when it clearly did not need it. As far as my IAT temps, he thinks they are pretty standard. Maybe I'm obsessing too much with them, but he said at 9psi its common to see about 110-120 on the temps and that each psi of boost adds approximately 10 degrees of heat. By his numbers at 15psi, I would be adding 60 degrees of heat and thus seeing the 180 degree temperatures that I have.

He also made a good point, being that I'm still using the 93 octane pump gas tune. He said if you want to race, put the c16 in, and raise the boost and timing to whatever your motor was built for and don't worry about the IAT temps. The C16 will resist the detonation at 20psi which is what I plan to run.

Back