I swear I'm keeping my S197!

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
My '14 Mustang Glass Roof GT has been a rock star at the track meeting and exceeding my expectations. 11.50's @ 119 in the 1/4 and on the verge of needing a rollbar to meet NHRA rules. It's been my daily driver since buying it new 37 months ago.

I can't see myself daily driving a car with a rollbar, so last week I took the plunge for a new daily driver so that the Mustang can be more focused for track duty. For me, a daily driver has to fun and comfortable. V8, rear wheel drive, roomy, comfortable, and fast. I don't like the look of the new S550 Mustangs. I hate Camaros, but have always loved Challengers since the 1970 E-Body model first came out. The newest generation is such a great reproduction of the original.

So, I bought a new '16 Challenger R/T Scat Pack with the 485hp 6.4L Hemi with 8 speed automatic. Sure it's heavy (I weighed it and it's 500 lbs more than my '14 GT at a whopping 4185 lbs), but with 485hp & 475 lb ft torque, it's plenty fast for a daily driver. Awesome sounding active exhaust, quick shifting trans, big and roomy, etc. It handles decently considering the extra heft, but I don't care much about cornering capability for a daily driver. Great braking with Brembos at all 4 corners.

Don't worry, my '14 GT is a keeper. I've had many people offer to buy it, but it's a "forever" car as it's the best car I've ever owned in my life, so it's staying in my garage except for nice days, special occasions, and drag racing.....

Last edited:

keith88lx

forum member
Reaction score
Nice. I like my father in laws Scat Pack. I planned on taking over his lease if he were to get a Hellcat. It hasn't happened yet, but the Scat Pack would be a fun DD.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Love the scat pack, very sooth comfortable ride. Took my buddies to the track and ran a 12.6 at 112 1st time out

Sounds right on par. Everything I've seen suggests mid 12's @ 112-114 pure stock. Low 12's and even high 11's on drag radials closer to sea level. Not sure if I'll ever take the Scat Pack to the track, but nice to know what to expect.

TheSuit

VISIONARY
Reaction score
Congrats! That's a very nice option for your DD car. I was looking at the Challenger and Mustang as well.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Nice. I like my father in laws Scat Pack. I planned on taking over his lease if he were to get a Hellcat. It hasn't happened yet, but the Scat Pack would be a fun DD.

Those Hellcats are very tempting. I briefly considered buying a Hellcat, but would have needed to trade in my '14 GT to swing it. The dealer I bought mine from has 7 Hellcat Challengers in stock and a bunch of Hellcat Chargers, too. Pricing was in the $68K to $70K range for the Hellcats. The Scat Pack is one helluva performance bargain. I scored an awesome discount on my Scat Pack at just $38K after rebate, so not much over half the price of a Hellcat. Hopefully your father-in-law is a big spender so you can take over his Scat Pack!

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Congrats! That's a very nice option for your DD car. I was looking at the Challenger and Mustang as well.

Thank you! Did you choose the Mustang so that you could get a convertible? I wonder if Dodge would consider a Challenger convertible ever? They made them back in the early 1970's. And, Challenger has been outselling Camaro for awhile now, so perhaps they could justify it again.

TheSuit

VISIONARY
Reaction score
Thank you! Did you choose the Mustang so that you could get a convertible? I wonder if Dodge would consider a Challenger convertible ever? They made them back in the early 1970's. And, Challenger has been outselling Camaro for awhile now, so perhaps they could justify it again.

I actually wasn't looking at a convertible at first. I stopped by a local used car lot that actually had a Mustang GT, Camaro SS, and the Challenger R/T and took some time sitting in all of them and getting a feel for them. Out of all of them the Mustang just felt right and my Wife, who was with me, agreed.

So, I started down the road to find one. Needless to say, the market was quite bare in my local area and after attempting to look at about 4 or 5 and every time being told, "we just sold it", I stopped at a dealership and came across my current vehicle. I wasn't too sure about a convertible but after test driving it, I liked the idea of it. Also, my wife -who was very supportive of me buying a toy-liked the idea of a convertible so I said why not. Been happy since and taking every opportunity to put it down!

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Wait, there's places that rent R/T's? That's pretty cool; normally the rental car agencies around here only have the base models with V6's.

Hertz has their Adrenaline line. I don't remember the scenario, but we wanted something fun to drive. It was an orange 2012 RT auto. Great car. It made me want one.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Sweet ride my man! I'll say...the 6.4L Hemi is no slug on these cars. With almost 500 HP these things will get sideways quick. Select Mode suspension on my car makes it go from comfy.... to go kart track like handling with zero body roll. The 8spd auto is lightening fast! I'm very impressed with my 15' SRT. If it ain't raining, I'm driving it! It just stands out among the plethora of Camaros, Vettes and Stangs in my area and that's such a good thing. I live in a GM factory town.... so talk about BORING!

Like you I still love my Mustang, but with so many cool cars these days, life is too short not to enjoy them regardless of brand loyalty. Brand loyalty? Dumbest thing I've ever heard of unless your getting paid endorsements.

Enjoy your car! Love the silver and black!

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I actually wasn't looking at a convertible at first. I stopped by a local used car lot that actually had a Mustang GT, Camaro SS, and the Challenger R/T and took some time sitting in all of them and getting a feel for them. Out of all of them the Mustang just felt right and my Wife, who was with me, agreed.

So, I started down the road to find one. Needless to say, the market was quite bare in my local area and after attempting to look at about 4 or 5 and every time being told, "we just sold it", I stopped at a dealership and came across my current vehicle. I wasn't too sure about a convertible but after test driving it, I liked the idea of it. Also, my wife -who was very supportive of me buying a toy-liked the idea of a convertible so I said why not. Been happy since and taking every opportunity to put it down!

Sounds like fate waved its hand over your car shopping. I keep thinking I'd like a convertible - a real convertible like a Mustang. My wife and I used to have a 2006 MX5 Miata; fun go-kart, but way too tiny.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Sweet ride my man! I'll say...the 6.4L Hemi is no slug on these cars. With almost 500 HP these things will get sideways quick. Select Mode suspension on my car makes it go from comfy.... to go kart track like handling with zero body roll. The 8spd auto is lightening fast! I'm very impressed with my 15' SRT. If it ain't raining, I'm driving it! It just stands out among the plethora of Camaros, Vettes and Stangs in my area and that's such a good thing. I live in a GM factory town.... so talk about BORING!

Like you I still love my Mustang, but with so many cool cars these days, life is too short not to enjoy them regardless of brand loyalty. Brand loyalty? Dumbest thing I've ever heard of unless your getting paid endorsements.

Enjoy your car! Love the silver and black!

Thanks! Like you said, brand loyalty is silly. I like just about any car with a V8 rumble and have owned a variety of brands over the years. I've owned more Mustangs than anything else, but can appreciate how good the other automakers are these days.

I totally dig your SRT - that green really stands out! Dodge has some nice, bright colors. I was originally looking for Plum Crazy Purple, but just couldn't find the right one anywhere. Decided that the black wheels and black bumblebee stripe would contrast nicely on a light color and I don't do white cars, so silver it is.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
nice pickup!!
I've been wanting to do the same thing myself....we've actually been shopping around for '11-14 cts-v sedans for a family car that I can daily...lol

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back