I'm back. Best available option on a new rear end

dustindu4

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've taken an 8-10 year break from the forum. My car has been in storage for the last 10 years and I want to make it a daily driver again before I go buy a new 5.0. One thing I need to do it make it drivable. When I used to drag race my car every weekend I definitely messed up my rear end pumpkin. It constantly needs a new pinion seal. I've had the 4.10 gears on it replaced at least 5 times over the years and I need to just start over. I'm not going to race it anymore, just drive it.

I'm guessing FRPP doesn't make new rear ends anymore. And I'm not buying one from a junkyard. I do see rebuilt ATK rear ends on Jegs and other places but those only have 3.55 gears. Are there any other options? Not interested in a 9" race setup, just a reliable daily driver.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I've taken an 8-10 year break from the forum. My car has been in storage for the last 10 years and I want to make it a daily driver again before I go buy a new 5.0. One thing I need to do it make it drivable. When I used to drag race my car every weekend I definitely messed up my rear end pumpkin. It constantly needs a new pinion seal. I've had the 4.10 gears on it replaced at least 5 times over the years and I need to just start over. I'm not going to race it anymore, just drive it.

I'm guessing FRPP doesn't make new rear ends anymore. And I'm not buying one from a junkyard. I do see rebuilt ATK rear ends on Jegs and other places but those only have 3.55 gears. Are there any other options? Not interested in a 9" race setup, just a reliable daily driver.

Why not buy out of a junk yard? To me that’s your best option. There are still fairly low mile parts out there for these cars.

If your gonna daily it, why wouldn’t 3:55 do just fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
your best bet is to buy one from a junkyard, just find one with low miles, out of like a 21 or 21 wrecked car

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Who did the work on it that you had 4.10 gears replaced 5x?
Have you tried replacing the flange? Or using a repair sleeve on the existing flange?

JimC

Reaction score
your best bet is to buy one from a junkyard, just find one with low miles, out of like a 21 or 21 wrecked car
The S550 is an IRS rear end - won't fit a S197. Since his car has been in storage 10 years I assume it is a S197.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back