Installed J&M camber plates

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
I noticed uneven wear on my front tires. I took it to an alignment shop, they told me the adjustment is maxed, they can't make it any better than it already is. They say it's pretty common on S197's. So, i ordered the J&M camber/caster plates. Installed them (easy install), took it back to the alignment shop and they said they were the easiest plates they've ever worked with. Car now runs straight and true, no noise in the front. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I have the J&M camber plates, but didn't know they made caster/camber plates as well. I will have to give them a call, as I'm having the same issues.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
save your reciept, as the bearings fail often. I had mine replaced once, then i went to remove the plates and sell them, and they failed again, less than 5k miles on each set of bearings. you will be using that lifetime warranty!

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
save your reciept, as the bearings fail often. I had mine replaced once, then i went to remove the plates and sell them, and they failed again, less than 5k miles on each set of bearings. you will be using that lifetime warranty!

I hope not! But I'll remember that.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Title is wrong those adjust only camber not caster. Description seems correct as it says only camber there.

MUSTANG16

forum member
Reaction score
CAPE COD MA. - LAUDERDALE BY THE SEA, FL.
I noticed uneven wear on my front tires. I took it to an alignment shop, they told me the adjustment is maxed, they can't make it any better than it already is. They say it's pretty common on S197's. So, i ordered the J&M camber/caster plates. Installed them (easy install), took it back to the alignment shop and they said they were the easiest plates they've ever worked with. Car now runs straight and true, no noise in the front. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Hey 06 … what are your front camber specs? I'm at -1.4 and -1.3 now. I have the J&M's in my shop … for months now. Thanks!!!

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score

Do they fail any less than the Steeda Camber plates? On my 2008, I had the bearings replaced in both of them within a year of installing them.

giddyup

forum member
Reaction score
What's the symptoms of the bearing failing.dam I wish I would have seen this in 07 when I bought mine.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Oh great I just ordered them. Looks like I'll be cancelling that order and going with the GT500 Strut mounts instead.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Thanks … I guess my tires are suffering at my present setting. The shop I went to looked at me queer when I mentioned the plates and the -1.0 setting I want.
-1° is a mild performance number, but since it's a little more aggressive than Ford's OE setting for most Mustangs (-0.75°, though I think a couple actually do call for -1°), it's a little outside what most shops are expecting to hear from a random customer (essentially, you're disagreeing with their machine's database). Even though what you're asking for is well within Ford's max-negative number (-1.5°). They may even not be familiar with camber plates, as that is not an OE adjustment technique.

When I ran into a similar situation many years ago, I decided that from that point onward I was going to do my own alignments. Haven't had a car on an honest-to-god alignment rack in over 35 years. There's a few things to be aware of with respect to making the measurements, but other than that it's mostly just patience and turning wrenches.

Your tires are suffering only if most of the time you're a mild-mannered driver in the corners and/or do a huge amount of highway driving.

06vista - it sounds like you've been fortunate enough to have found a shop that understands what they're doing a little deeper than just putting the machine's indicators in the green or spot-on to the OE preferred values. Should you decide at some time to run a more aggressive setup and the place has the same crew working there, I wouldn't expect them to object to making a setting at least up to Ford's max negative.

Norm

Last edited:

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Well I did some searching and found GT500 strut mounts fail just as often. Looks like it could be an installation issue. What ever the case looks like I have an insurance policy with the lifetime warranty on the J&M.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back