Installing gauges - where are factory sensors?

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to be installing gauges "real soon now", and I went looking for the sensor locations for oil pressure and water temp. I think I found the oil pressure sensor (on the drivers side below and in front of the exhaust manifold), but I can't find the water temp sensor anywhere. I looked all around the front of the motor near the thermostat housing, but didn't see anything there.

I'm assuming there's a water temp sensor SOMEWHERE on the motor, because I have the base V6, and the only "gauge" I have on the dash besides fuel level is a water temp gauge. However, the sensor's position eludes me.

Second question - How do I keep the oil pressure idiot light from illuminating when i take off the factory oil pressure sensor?

Finally, do the fittings use metric threads, and if so, what is the thread pitch?

Last edited:

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
On the 4.0 V6, the sender is under the intake. I suspect it's still there on the 3.7 as well, because I couldn't find it anywhere else. I further suspect that there's no room for a Tee if it's under the intake, and that I can't simply disconnect the original one and replace it with the sender that came with the gauge because the computer in the car needs the signal from it to adjust the engine according to the reading it gets from the sender.

I found a $23 1-1/2 inch adapter that you insert in the lower radiator hose that comes with a hole for a temp sender, but I'd much rather do something else.

On the driver's side of the block, there's a threaded plug in the side of the block. I ASSUME that this is threaded into the water jacket, but I'm not sure. I would have to find an appropriate adapter (which is probably metric) to adapt down to the appropriate NPT size (1/4?) for the sender unit.

Comments anyone?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back