Killer Chillers, IATs, and A/C . . . HP differences?

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
So, researching the benefits of getting my IAT2's down with my Kenne Bell.

I have two questions, one of which is probably more opinion/hypothetical:

1. Until IAT2s get to a certain point where the car pulls timing, is there any benefit to getting them lower? In other words, as a hypothetical, if the car starts pulling timing at 130 degrees when at WOT, does the car make more power at 70 degrees IATs than at 120 degrees?
  2. Assuming the Killer Chiller's resulting IATs would get you more power, do we know that it is more than what the A/C is sucking out? I realize the A/C turns off at WOT . . . but, at say 3/4 throttle, do the cooler IATs make up for the HP loss by having the A/C running?
Thanks for the tutelage.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1) yes, cooler air is denser, so more O2 to burn in the combustion process, more powwaaa

2) at less than WOT IMO it matters little.

the other thing you're not considering is the possible safety factor of lowering the likelihood of detonation with having cooler IATs

All said, I've never seen any S197 car really have success with the killer chiller, 94tbird had a big thread on his install and issues with the system, take a look for it.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
So why can't the tune be re- tweaked, so the AC remains on when WOT? Or is the added load to the fead belt just too great ?

If it's just a drag race application, Ice would be the most cost effective method. For a road course setup, lower boost, bigger HE, more airflow through the bigger IC, and then a bigger IC pump would probably work. 100% distilled water + water wetter in the IC-HE loop (during warmer wx) would also be a good benefit.

I saw some of the killer chiller U tube videos'... and it took a long time to eventually get the coolant temps down to 40 deg F...while cruising on the hwy. Still, even with AC off at WOT, it would take a lot of temp rise over ambient, to get that 40 deg F back up to 140 F...for drag race use. For a road course, too much time spent at wot on each lap. Not enough time per lap to get the full benefit of the killer chiller. Recovery time is way too long.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
1) yes, cooler air is denser, so more O2 to burn in the combustion process, more powwaaa

2) at less than WOT IMO it matters little.

the other thing you're not considering is the possible safety factor of lowering the likelihood of detonation with having cooler IATs

All said, I've never seen any S197 car really have success with the killer chiller, 94tbird had a big thread on his install and issues with the system, take a look for it.

All valid points . . . I saw 94tbird's thread from 2009 . . . looks like he was successful in his endeavor, though I suppose he had to forgo cabin AC to get it. Not an option for my street driver.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As I recall he ripped it all out

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
I started this research over concerns that upgrading my HE and pump, even if I got a reputable dual fan setup, might not do much for IATs. Would hate to spend that kind of dough to not see a difference.

The price will be similar with the Killer Chiller, but the concept seemed more full proof. Since mine is a 'summer only, not raced' car, it seemed like a good option.

Maybe not.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The best way to lower your WOT IAT's, on a street driver, is with Meth injection. It can be used just for lower intake temps, so that if it fails the computer will just pull timing and your engine will be safe. You should check this option out.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
The best way to lower your WOT IAT's, on a street driver, is with Meth injection. It can be used just for lower intake temps, so that if it fails the computer will just pull timing and your engine will be safe. You should check this option out.

I don't know a ton about it but, to my anecdotal understanding, you probably need to set up the tune to account for it -- whether it be timing, AF, or both. In doing so, you inevitably turn up power . . . since my car is tuned for 450 RWHP, and since that is widely considered the safe amount for a stock 3V, I don't want to push it.

Now, I will say . . when I dyno'd, I didn't ask where the IATs were . . . but I suspect they were fairly high. So, cooling them off with a Killer Chiller could in turn raise the HP beyond the 450, I suppose.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Something else to consider is the Killer Chiller doesn't keep IAT's down at WOT. You'll need a decent sized reservoir so you have a good amount of cold water. A lot of guys are starting to modify the intercooler system to flow better and having better results. A couple guys I know took the Killer Chiller set up off after having the modifications done to run larger lines.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back