MSD shift light = toasted COP

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I installed an MSD shift light last night then went for a test drive today. I drive a few miles without any issues (no car issues, the light didn't light up when it was supposed to though). I went back home to change the settings, remembered it's supposed to be set for 1 cyl when connected to a COP so I changed that then went for another test drive but this time got to the end of my street then the car shut off, WTF! no crank, no nothing. Pushed it back home (which is a real PITA with a spool I might add!) and found the #42 fuse at the PCM popped, replaced it and it started right up but sounded off, then got CEL code for bad COP. Tested them and sure as shit that COP took a dive. The MSD shift light is super simple to install, all wires are correct. I wonder if it's defective? Or is this one hellova coincidence?

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought you need to install a Tach Adapter for the shift lights to work? What it the part number of the light? Wonder if it was to much for the fuse to make it light up?

Sorry I have all questions and no answer for you.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I thought you need to install a Tach Adapter for the shift lights to work? What it the part number of the light? Wonder if it was to much for the fuse to make it light up?

Sorry I have all questions and no answer for you.

It came with a GMR pickup for that purpose, AFAIK it doesnt need anything else? Part #8963. NP thanks for trying to help, not sure what I'm going to do with it yet

pics06gtstang

forum member
Reaction score
It came with a GMR pickup for that purpose, AFAIK it doesnt need anything else? Part #8963. NP thanks for trying to help, not sure what I'm going to do with it yet
i have same item #
i have mine on the first coil on the passenger side , white wire i believe .
i doubt that the wrong setting ya had for the 1 for the 8 cylinder would short a coil . i bet just your shit luck .

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
i have same item #
i have mine on the first coil on the passenger side , white wire i believe .
i doubt that the wrong setting ya had for the 1 for the 8 cylinder would short a coil . i bet just your shit luck .

That's what I had to connected to, the white wire with a stripe NOT the red wire, connected to the GSM. Hopefully Ford's open tomorrow so I can pick up a new COP. IDK if I'll hook that light back up or not.

pics06gtstang

forum member
Reaction score
That's what I had to connected to, the white wire with a stripe NOT the red wire, connected to the GSM. Hopefully Ford's open tomorrow so I can pick up a new COP. IDK if I'll hook that light back up or not.
Great lite , had mine for years now .
just go get a shit cheap ass COP from autozone or
@ your local "P.I. ace hardware" lol , and test the 8963 .

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score

Make sure you didn't accidentally cut through the wire, I've been using one of those MSD GMR's for a couple years to supply the rpm signal to my nitrous controller with no issues, however I have removed it a few times and caught myself pinching the insulation a couple times when reinstalling it..

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Make sure you didn't accidentally cut through the wire, I've been using one of those MSD GMR's for a couple years to supply the rpm signal to my nitrous controller with no issues, however I have removed it a few times and caught myself pinching the insulation a couple times when reinstalling it..

I figured it out, the shift light was not defective the installer was, another ID-10-T error with the same end result as above ^^. I ordered an OEM coil and installed an Autozone one for now, guess I'll have a spare. Everything works perfectly now, thanks for the replies gents.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Can you not pull directly off the ecm with the msd?

From what I researched, no, not on the 05 & 06 cars, 07+ have that option but not the older versions. I could be wrong but that's what I found so I just used the GSM adaptor which works great when it's installed correctly.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back