Multiple codes, car running rough

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
I have had a similar issue, although mine occurred right after changing the spark plugs.... did the coil switch-@-ro and the missfire stayed with the same cylinders...i had two bad spark plugs. Its worth your time moving the coils around.

Exactly why I wouldn’t mess with compression until you rule out spark, which includes the plugs.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I too have run into "bad" plugs that appeared OK, and were fairly new, yet caused a misfire issue. One brand specifically, Autolite plugs IMO are crap. My "go-to" brand is Champion, never had any issues with them.

I does not hurt the check compression on all cylinders though, since you are going to be pulling the plugs anyway.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I too have run into "bad" plugs that appeared OK, and were fairly new, yet caused a misfire issue. One brand specifically, Autolite plugs IMO are crap. My "go-to" brand is Champion, never had any issues with them.

I does not hurt the check compression on all cylinders though, since you are going to be pulling the plugs anyway.
Most professionals would give the exact opposite of your advice, calling Champion junk and Automate the go-to plug. It seems on this forum everyone loves the HT1.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Most professionals would give the exact opposite of your advice, calling Champion junk and Automate the go-to plug. It seems on this forum everyone loves the HT1.

I'm simply stating personal experience while working on cars (I was a dealer tech for close to 20 years) One vehicle I remember specifically. The dealer I was working at, sold a used F150, and within a few days of sale, it was back with multi-cylinder misfire/CEL on. Swapped out the near new looking Autolites for a set of Champs. Problem was fixed. Funny thing is, I also use Bosch Platinum plugs in stock daily drivers. Many ppl say those are crap too, I never had issues with them either. lol

I don't believe the marketing hype about most products out there. I buy, I try, if it works, I keep using it. So use what works for you. Again, I'm only sharing my personal experiences. ;)

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I'm simply stating personal experience while working on cars (I was a dealer tech for close to 20 years) One vehicle I remember specifically. The dealer I was working at, sold a used F150, and within a few days of sale, it was back with multi-cylinder misfire/CEL on. Swapped out the near new looking Autolites for a set of Champs. Problem was fixed. Funny thing is, I also use Bosch Platinum plugs in stock daily drivers. Many ppl say those are crap too, I never had issues with them either. lol

I don't believe the marketing hype about most products out there. I buy, I try, if it works, I keep using it. So use what works for you. Again, I'm only sharing my personal experiences. ;)
There is no way you worked for on Fords and ran Bosch plugs (I kid). They cause a misfire every time, lol.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
I switched coils around and drove the piss outta the car today for couple hours and no issues but my "random" is still there.

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
Do as above ( torque the spark plugs) and see if you could find someone with a mustang and so that could you swap out the coils.

Last edited:

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
consider buying some new spark plugs if the coils is not your problem.

Last edited:

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
By random do you mean there is a miss or it is still throwing codes?

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Still t
By random do you mean there is a miss or it is still throwing codes?
Seems I have spoke too soon. I was meaning only the random misfire code still kept coming up, but now it’s doing everything fairly consistent. From what I can tell, it waits til it gets hot. Me and the ol lady went out in the car on a 45 minute drive or so and it did the “limp mode” thing where it runs super rough and CEL flashes the whole time I think 3 separate times, and ALL 3 times cleared up in 20 seconds or so. Moved coils and still has miss on 1 and the random code as well. So I guess a change of plugs is in the books to see if that works, as well as a fuel filter swap around.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Still t

Seems I have spoke too soon. I was meaning only the random misfire code still kept coming up, but now it’s doing everything fairly consistent. From what I can tell, it waits til it gets hot. Me and the ol lady went out in the car on a 45 minute drive or so and it did the “limp mode” thing where it runs super rough and CEL flashes the whole time I think 3 separate times, and ALL 3 times cleared up in 20 seconds or so. Moved coils and still has miss on 1 and the random code as well. So I guess a change of plugs is in the books to see if that works, as well as a fuel filter swap around.
Do the coil boots at the same time as the plugs

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
If you want to be sure it is the plug, more just the plug and see if the miss follows, just like you did with the COP. If you do one thing at a time, then you know what the issue is/was. Don't have to but I always like to pinpoint the issue.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
If you want to be sure it is the plug, more just the plug and see if the miss follows, just like you did with the COP. If you do one thing at a time, then you know what the issue is/was. Don't have to but I always like to pinpoint the issue.
Awesome, I’ll try this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to clean the MAF as well...they sell an aerosol can at your local auto store if you decide to do that

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back