MUSTANG 05 GT NO LOW SPEED RADIATOR FAN?

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
Hey folks,
(Long story short, someone ran a stop sign I eat a curb instead of t-boning him to reduce damage to the vehicle, person fled, now fighting electrical issue, after replacing radiator)

2005 GT.
I have my tune set for 195F low-speed fan and 210 High speed.
Now I have the high-speed fan set to 205 to help with cooling to make the car driveable and not overheat.

***I have tested the Fan shroud resistor and the circles are good on them.
Make me believe that I have sustained the infamous meted BEC.
My mechanic said he can bypass the relay in the BEC with external relays.

I am a bit afraid to take apart the BEC to verify if it had indeed melted.
Before I go to him, is there anything else I can see to test if my low-speed circuit is indeed shot at the BEC.

**Also, Is the relay ground controlled? if so, does anyone diagram of the low-speed fan circuit or the entire radiator fan circuit
**Also, does anyone have a write off on how to bypass the BEC and make the relay's external?
Everyone told me I may have set my Fans to kick in too low so the over usage may have caused this.

I am hoping my PCM did not shit the bed and it not sending the ground pulse
SCT confirmed it sending the command but no go mechanically wise.

All the help is much appreciated!

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
Is it ok to set my high-speed fan at 204F to compensate for my low speed until the issue is fixed?
Or might I risk melting this circuit as well?
I assume I should avoid using my A/C since there no fan to really cool down the condenser.

46addict

Reaction score
Yes you can lower the activation temp while you fix the low speed. If I'm not mistaken the PCM allows you to set the high speed temp lower than the low speed temp if desired. And turning on the AC should activate the high speed so that's a non issue.

In a different car I had, I bypassed the BEC like your mechanic is suggesting and manually controlled the fan. But this setup was either high speed or off. No low speed.

bl817

Reaction score
there was a post several years ago on one of these mustang forums about a guy doing just that, using relays that he mounted to the shock tower, his BEC melted and he used the trigger wires to turn on the relays. it was a pretty cool set up and not to difficult as he had pics and instructions to go with. I thought I had bookmarked it years ago. ill do some searching. sorry, I know that doesn't help you at all right now.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I had one of my fan connections, (was low speed I believe) starting to melt/discolor. I found it while adding a couple of circuits while doing the engine swap. I opted to repair the connection, as I have dealt with this kind of issue on all kinds of vehicles. Plugs/connectors are great for speedy assembly, but do not stand the test of time of their hard wired counterparts.

Last edited:

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
I pulled the low-speed fan relay, 1 of the legs are red compared to the rest being metal/gray look.
May have melted.
Mechanic is going to look at it this weekend and use the trigger wire from the pcm to a relay to trigger the low speed and bypass the bec completely

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back