Need help removing my Crank Pulley!

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, I did a search and found nothin to help. Im removing my stock crank pulley for steeda udp's. I got the bolt and washer out without any problems what so ever. I used a large set of 3 jaw pullers on the out side of the pulley. It wont budge. I even tried hooking the jaws to the inside of the pulley and it still wont budge. Ive spent all evening working on this pulley. WTF am I doing wrong here?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It should come out then, you may have to leave the bolt in place afew turns to give the 3 jaw puller something to push against to get it started.

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm, Ill try that. I was trying it with the bolt out. Hope I didnt screw the bolt hole up.
Do I put the jaws on the outside? I was told not to b/c it will mess the pulley up.

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
Put it on the inside, it will come out easier.

When you do it with the bolt out, make sure to keep the tool from moving to the sides so it doesn't mess up the threads.

And when installing the new pulley, PLEASE remember to put the washer back on, & DO NOT GO TOO FAR IN WITH THE TEMPORARY STARTING BOLT. If it bottoms out against the inside of the crank, you will be sorry.

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
As others have said leave the stock bolt in part of the way when using the puller so you can push off it and try to use the jaws on the inside if possible.

I'm pretty sure if the starting bolt bottoms out gently and you don't go any further you're ok. It's done, ready to be backed off, and your replacement crank bolt put in at that point.

Last edited:

Mahstang

Reaction score
I installed Saleen pulleys a month or two ago. My biggest problem was getting the crank bolt loose, finding that I had to cut the end of the alternator stud and in finding the tool to remove the alternator pulley (still haven't....left stock pulley on). Getting the crank pulley off was the easiest part for me.

CaliSpecial

TVS Posse!
Reaction score
Don't want to hijack, but I have a question. I will be removing my crank pulley in a week or two to polish/paint it. What should I torque that centre bolt down to when I re-fit it?

Andy.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
You should get a new crank bolt everytime you pull it off.
I painted my UDP before hand :)

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
You'll have better luck using a medium 3 jaw puller. There are tabs on the inside specific to that puller. I don't think the large puller will even fit in there. Regardless, pull from the inside.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
lol, I'm having the same problem right now. Got stuck on the crank pulley during my engine tear down. My puller tool wont budge it.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
What should I torque that centre bolt down to when I re-fit it?

Follow Ford's recommended torque sequence:
Step 1) torque to 66 lb-ft
Step 2) loosen bolt 1 full turn
Step 3) torque to 37 lb-ft
Step 4) tighten bolt an additional 90 degrees

That last 90 degree turn can require an impact wrench if your breaker bar won't cut it. People say it's a bad idea to use an impact on that bolt but I know many (including myself) have gotten away with it.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
You want to use what's called the Chrysler 3-jaw puller. It's the best for this application. Also, rent the crank puller INSTALLER tool from O'reillys. I personally wouldn't trust using that "installer bolt" for my pulley installation even though many have done it. The actual crank pulley installer tool will protect your crank threads THE BEST. You mess up those crank threads and you're screwed royaly.

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty hard to mess up the crank threads tho, because the crank is hardened.

If the starting bolt bottoms out you will not get it back out (it happened to me).

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
+1 on the Chrysler puller. I thought that is wat you were using already.

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
You mess up those crank threads and you're screwed royaly.

Well, I may be screwed royally then. I think the end of my puller may have entered the threaded hole a little when I first tried to pull with the bolt not in. I did get my pulley off today tho after removing the fan and all the shit around it. Can I run a die in the hole a little ways to clean up the threads so my bolt will start? If so, what size will I need? Im about to the point of pushing my car outta the garage and torching it. This has been the worst 2 days wrenching ever. Now ive gotta limp my poor Jeep back and forth until my car is fixed. So, please help me get this thing back together QUICK!:mad2:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back