New 2014 GHIG 5.0. Sealant or not?

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
Wondering if the car comes with a sealant from the factory or some sort of wax?

It's my DD so I was thinking about doing a simple wash and use some sort of sealant with an orbital buffer. Has 1300 miles on it so I don't think clay baring is necessary before the sealant, is it?

Also what would be a good sealant since the paint is flawless. Preferably something I can pick up at a local store like autozone, oreilleys or walmart. The paint is "Gotta Have It Green" and it has matte black stripes and I also plasti-dipped the hood vents black. Can I get sealant on the vinyl and plasti-dip and not hurt it?

Thanks.

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
From the factory your paint will have inclusions, orange peel, buffer swirl, and all round shit paint work. I would recommend having someone prep and seal your car with a good liquid ceramic coating. CQUARTS is what's on mine.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are so many threads about how to take care of the exterior of your car this question should never be asked. Go find an old thread, read it and if you arent completely informed after bump that thread.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I would wash the car....then I would clay it absolutely. It takes 25 mins. Then I would put a sealant on it by hand not an orbital. Sometimes the orbital can cause heat which isn't good. Get some BFWD and apply by hand, let it set, wipe off.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
wipe it down extra carefully

turquoise_beach_towel_1_L.jpg

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
While there may be a slight "orange-peel" effect, there are no swirls on the car at all that I have seen. I just want to protect the paint. It looks great as it is and I see no point in doing a 1-step on it and removing clear coat when there is no scratches.

I meant the paint is flawless in terms of I had a 06 with swirls and paint chips all over it from when I bought it at 97k miles, and this car has none of that. This car had 34 miles on the odometer when I bought it.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/blackfire-wet-diamond-paint-sealant-product-review/
I read about the BFWD here, is this the type you are referring to Mystic? I could hand apply it, but this orbital is a very weak one and I doubt I could even mess anything up with it. It's a $20 one from walmart that I picked up just for the heck of it a while back.

So with that being said, would it be fine giving it a washing, claying (don't dry before claying correct?),re-washing, drying, BFWD sealant? And would I need to try to avoid getting it on the matte black OEM stripes as much as I can or does it matter. Thanks.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I usually wash, don't dry, use a quick detailer as lube for the clay, wipe dry. Then apply bfwd sealant by hand on the whole car. Let it dry, wipe it off.

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
For me, ever car will get Clay'd from now on at our house. It was shocking to me just how much those bars find, and how awful the condition of the paint was on our brand new 14...

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
Even new off the lot, the dealer does NOT clay your vehicle when they prep it. Just wash and a lot of glaze.

The car was built and shipped and stored and then rinsed and glazed when you got it. This left all the over spray, fall out, rail dust and anything else out there (pollutants) to adhere to your paint.

Take a plastic ziplock bag, put your hand in it and lightly go over your paint and you'll be surprised at how rough it will feel.

Claying can introduce some slight marring in the paint and could use a small correction. Then you seal it, glaze it and wax it.

gothamite302

forum member
Reaction score
Read more, think less. If you feel comfortable sealing factory paint, why even come ask a bunch of anal ass holes about prep? My shit was 2 staged and partially wet sanded 9 days off the lot. Just to make it perfect.

This, for so many reasons, I know to be true especially since I did all the work to get it as close to perfect as possible prior to applying C'Quartz on his car and it's BLACK! This is from the morning it was picked up and to this day he is still one of my happiest customers
eda4utu6.jpg

New cars have a TON of surface contaminants, embedded iron particles, swirls, DA Haze and issues left and right. Your color can make it a little harder to see them but they are there with the right light. As far as application, BFWD is great but I would recommend doing it by hand not because you will mess something up but it's a $20 wal mart orbital. That machine will never give you an even, smooth application even with endless experience (fitting it into the small spots sucks too). You also want to avoid getting BFWD on the matte/plastidip so sure it's a little more work but your results are much more in your control doing it by hand. Reload by CarPro is also a great alternative and MUCH easier to apply. So is Hydr02.

Jonathan Arrecis
Premier Detailing
832-499-2696

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back