New Roush Upgraded Tensioner Arms!!!

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
Running around with a supercharged 1999+ Mustang with the stock serpentine belt tensioner? You haven't had any problems with it yet, but you've heard of tons of other people bending, and sometimes snapping, their stock tensioners, even factory supercharged Saleen and Roush vehicles. It starts as a squeak, typically first on stick shift cars, then progresses to a chirp, and boost loss, then shredded belts, tossed belts, and even an occasional tensioner arm that completely snaps off.

But you don't need to worry about it, it won't happen to you, right? :roflmao: Your car is special.

Rather than wait for it to be a problem, be a responsible car modifier and do some preventative maintainance. Not all tensioner issues start with the belt squeak to give you a warning; some go straight from not being a problem to being a two piece modular tensioner. Is it worth a few bucks to possibly have it screw up some pullies or have a chunk of that smash the hood or something on the front cover?

Belt slip = boost loss = lost power. What people usually forget is that with less boost, you're also getting lower fuel pressure. Lower fuel pressure at high rpm causes bad, bad things. As good as your tune can be, if your mechanical isn't there to support it, the setup is no good. If your tuner is expecting 9psi up top and you're only getting 7 or 8, it's going to throw the entire tune off.

AlonzoPrileau001.jpg

AlonzoPrileau002.jpg

AlonzoPrileau003.jpg

AlonzoPrileau004.jpg

AlonzoPrileau005.jpg

When Roush sent us the P51 blower for Bill Jaynes 428R car, we noticed "Wow, look at the size of this bad ass tensioner." The car made huge power on the dyno at previously rarely touched boost levels and the tensioner showed no signs of giving up, even without a brace. Immediately we were on the phone with Roush to see if we could get these separately.

AlonzoPrileau006.jpg

AlonzoPrileau009.jpg

How confident are we in these units? About 99 units left in stock confident.

AlonzoPrileau010.jpg

If you're belt slip, this is your firing squad.

AlonzoPrileau017.jpg

This black car literally left ten minutes ago, 337 to the tire - three back to back dyno pulls, over 80 degrees outside and a lot of humidity. The normal Stage 1 package on an otherwise stock 5spd car. Guess who? Roush tensioner.

AlonzoPrileau018.jpg

AlonzoPrileau019.jpg

AlonzoPrileau020.jpg

Last edited:

nmeofdst82

STY RMY
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your still carrying Thump_rrr Racing tensioners right? I would still chose one of those over the Roush. Just my opinion.

...and what is your prices on the 2? I'm looking to buy my new tensioner in Aug/Sep.

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
We are, and I would too, but it's just not in some people's budgets. Our race cars and race truck is still going to be using the thumper, we're not ripping them off to install these. I'll still be pushing Peter's stuff hardcore because it's a kick ass piece.

Roush tensioners are $189.00 through JDM for these first 100 units. Pricing will go up significantly after that.

We have increased our pricing on Thumper_RR tensioners to $425.00 and the billet pulley is standard now.

Last edited:

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
James Mitchell just saw this post, called in and ordered one up. 98 left, get em while they're hot!!!

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Chris, Where were these at the beginning of the month when I was there? I would have bought one instead of doing the Metco brace.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmm this on the Thrump_rrr unit, hmm, it does look good but the Thrump_rrr looks better to me. I think I'll just save my $ for one of those. These look like a great alternative for less $ though.

Mick

forum member
Reaction score
Chris, Where were these at the beginning of the month when I was there? I would have bought one instead of doing the Metco brace.

I was there in May and had the Metco bracket put on, and belt replaced. Less then one week later JDM says they recomend the Thumper tensioner, now it happened to you and now it is Roush. Things that make you go hmmm. And by the way my belt is still squeaking under hard acceleration.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Chris.
I ain't trying to be an ass or anything, but this post is nothing but advertisement, and an exact duplicate of the advertisement you posted in your vendor forum (where it should be in the first place). I am going to merge the two and move this out of the tech area.

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
Not a problem Hawg.

Mick/Tung, this is literally about the second day these were available for us to sell. I'd recommend a thumper or Roush over a brace any day, it just comes down to which one the customer likes the looks of better.

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Chris, I was breaking your balls about it not being available three weeks ago. I'm sure Mick is too. I do not have anymore belt squeak YET!!

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
No I understand, we have had a few parts where timing just plain sucks. We thought those Metco tensioner braces were going to work and they appeared to for awhile until we realized tensioners weren't bending anymore they were flat out snapping off around the brace!

Finally came to our senses that you can't shine up a piece of poop...just replace the damn thing with a better unit!

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
In addition, JDM Engineering is now
offering a LIFETIME GUARANTEE

on these units. If your car bends it, we will send you a new unit (you cover shipping and handling). We'll do our best to help you diagnose your squeal/slip/chirp/break, and if we believe it is the tensioner, you get a new one regardless of your power level. Whether you are running 8 psi or 45 psi, 400whp or 7000whp, your car bends it, we'll replace it.

That should answer any questions as to how strongly we believe in these new units.
***obvious common sense applies - if you run it over with a steamroller, sorry, no warranty

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This will not solve the issue, however. It wasa good idea over a year ago when KB and Adam tried it. A stronger arm isnt the answer and isnt the only part of the problem. Adam at ST motorsports welded 2 arms together and even twice the thickness bent the arm. KB has their super tensioner and it was twice as thick as well and the arm will seperate from the base.

Just making the arm stronger moves the weak link of the tensioner to the base where the arm can literally seperate from the base exposing the spring and leaving you stranded. Trust me i know i have been through over 3000 in belts and tensioners now, as you are all aware.

The Thump_RRR tensioner is still tops and has been the only one PROVEN to handle the problems

Im sure it will do the job for moderately powered cars (400rwhp or so) but when you start getting up there it will just be more of the same. I do see the appeal in the price, but you get what you pay for in the end

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In addition, JDM Engineering is now
offering a LIFETIME GUARANTEE

on these units. If you break it, we will send you a new unit (you cover shipping and handling). We'll do our best to help you diagnose your squeal/slip/chirp/break, and if we believe it is the tensioner, you get a new one regardless of your power level. Whether you are running 8 psi or 45 psi, 400whp or 7000whp, you break it, we'll replace it.

That should answer any questions as to how strongly we believe in these new units.

that may put you out of business in the long run haha

95PGTech

SN95s > all
Reaction score
The Thump_RRR tensioner is still tops and has been the only one PROVEN to handle the problems

Im sure it will do the job for moderately powered cars (400rwhp or so) but when you start getting up there it will just be more of the same. I do see the appeal in the price, but you get what you pay for in the end

The first test car we had is well into the mid 500s whp and has one of the most abusive owners I know of on a stick car.

99% of my customers are 375-425whp, so even if you were correct, the tool would perform the function just fine.

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
The first test car we had is well into the mid 500s whp and has one of the most abusive owners I know of on a stick car.
quote]
Worse then me, you mother#^&%$^$!

Oh you mean abbusive on the trans! Got ya. sorry about the outburst!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

99% of my customers are 375-425whp, so even if you were correct, the tool would perform the function just fine.

it would be nice for the $$ but the idea has been tried many times and has failed many times. it doesn't just break right away but a few good thrashings and it will most likely. id love to see another viable solution out there but i have my skepticism on this as there really is no other change but the arm. the internal bearing isnt very strong either and those will tend to fail as well. plus if it is made out of the same material as the stock tensioner it is pourous white metal, not very strong, even when it is thicker.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Ron, are you the only one to break a Frankentensioner? I put mine on in Nov 2006, and have made almost 500 passes on it so far.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ron, are you the only one to break a Frankentensioner? I put mine on in Nov 2006, and have made almost 500 passes on it so far.

No im not but remember your an auto, its easier on the tensioner shifting with an auto. its not as violent as a stick

Back