New tires for 15*10 racestars

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a set of racestars with 28*10.5*15 ET Slicks with tubes already mounted (got them for $200 with lugs and washers). The 28" tires look great, but are just way to tall for my gearing.
I've been reading all the "what tires should I get" threads.
The car is a stick 4.6 3v, with some suspension upgrades, basic bolt-ons, and some more on the way (see sig).

From all the threads I gathered; Bias is better for stick cars, I want a 26" tire 10.5-12.5" wide (even for when I switch to 4.10s?), and I do not want a full slick.

Here are the questions I have:
If I go with a Hoosier QTP or ET Street, do I have to run tubes? Pros and Cons to tubes?
Any DR that can absorb "shock" like a bias tire? (easier on drivetrain) M&H? M/T? Hoosier?
All recommendations/ suggestions welcome.

These are going to be for track use mostly, but I will be driving there and back. About 30 miles each way for the 1/4, or I'm 10 miles away from the 1/8th. I'lll probably hit the track 1-3 times a month.

Last edited:

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
made up my mind, I'm going to order MT DR 275/50r15.
everything I read says tubes are recomended for Bias, and if I tube I have to use screws.
Screw that (no pun intended) Drag radials it is.

downtime!

IAMKONABLUE
Reaction score
I run 275/50's on my Fox, these cars usually like a little taller tire than that. I run 295/55's on my '12, keeps the gear ratio right on and looks good too.

dark_stars_003.jpg

09gt3v

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a set of racestars with 28*10.5*15 ET Slicks with tubes already mounted (got them for $200 with lugs and washers). The 28" tires look great, but are just way to tall for my gearing.
I've been reading all the "what tires should I get" threads.
The car is a stick 4.6 3v, with some suspension upgrades, basic bolt-ons, and some more on the way (see sig).

From all the threads I gathered; Bias is better for stick cars, I want a 26" tire 10.5-12.5" wide (even for when I switch to 4.10s?), and I do not want a full slick.

Here are the questions I have:
If I go with a Hoosier QTP or ET Street, do I have to run tubes? Pros and Cons to tubes?
Any DR that can absorb "shock" like a bias tire? (easier on drivetrain) M&H? M/T? Hoosier?
All recommendations/ suggestions welcome.

These are going to be for track use mostly, but I will be driving there and back. About 30 miles each way for the 1/4, or I'm 10 miles away from the 1/8th. I'lll probably hit the track 1-3 times a month.

I had the same ? In the past and the results I gathered were if you run under 120mph you want a 26", but a set of race stars with tires was a steal at that man

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Sorry I'm late seeing this thread. I had a similar experience buying my first set of track wheels/tires used and discovering they were too tall for my setup (as well as having no traction). I went with the Mickey Thompson ET Street radials in a 26" height and they were great. I got my best ever 60' of 1.63 on those tires on an exceptional day at my local track, but track prep and my 60' times were very inconsistent.

So I 'upgraded' again to my current setup of Hoosier QTP bias ply. They hook much more consistently but even with a lot more experience and quite a few upgrades I still haven't beaten that 1.63 sixty foot time. I have a bunch of 1.64 and 1.65 time slips though. The bad part about the bias ply is that they are a lot less stable at the top end, especially with lower air pressures. I don't run tubes and I have not screwed the tires to the rims. I check the air pressure every time I put them on the car and I have one front runner that loses about 5 lbs every 2 weeks and one rear tire loses about 1-2 lbs.

For street use driving to and from the track the drag radial is a much better choice. And also it will still allow you to participate in any 'street car' races your local track may organize.

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
Ya i think the 26" radial is going to be the ticket for me. The more I think about it I want to be able to drive with the race stars on the street. Since the car is just a toy / fair weather car, I don't want have to switch tires constantly during racing season, only for trips. Maybe once I go FI later I will rethink tires, but I want to see how far I can go on a DR and NA.

I appreciate the help guys, Downtime your car looks sick by the way.

Last edited:

1bad99

forum member
Reaction score
just bought 2 275/6015 for 440 shipped 275/50 15 are a little cheaper shipped

downtime!

IAMKONABLUE
Reaction score
Ya i think the 26" radial is going to be the ticket for me. The more I think about it I want to be able to drive with the race stars on the street. Since the car is just a toy / fair weather car, I don't want have to switch tires constantly during racing season, only for trips. Maybe once I go FI later I will rethink tires, but I want to see how far I can go on a DR and NA.

I appreciate the help guys, Downtime your car looks sick by the way.
Thanks! And I think you'll like the DR's much better. 26" should work well on the '05 cars, I went with 28" to match the stock height of the 19" tires, to try and keep the overall gearing the same. 3.55 works good with my setup.

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
Finally got around to ordering tires for the car. Track is finally opening back up in 2 weeks!!!

26x11.5-15 MT ET Streets. Decided to order a set of bias plys so I can have some give in the driveline.

So who's using a line lock? Do I really need one?

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
Ya I saw those 27" QTPs, but I'm going to try the 26" tire 4.10 combo first. I'll probably have to step up to a 27 or 28 if I decide to spray her.

LINE LOCK ANYONE??? Lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back