New to mustangs have a LOT of questions....

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm placing my bet on lightly damaged flood car. Carfax it.

MrBhp

Reaction score
Keep in mind that Carfax does not always show history. I've had several cars in the shop that had major damage in the past, filed on insurance, still have clean carfax. I bought a car a few years back that had a clean carfax. BUT, original owner had wrecked while out of town, (my town) and traded it for a BMW as is. The dealer printed off the carfax before they did the work. I found the damage two years later during a repaint.

However, you should invest in the few bucks for the Carfax report. Tjm could be right, might be a flood car. If it is, run away.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
If it is a flood car, and it has potential electrical wiring issues / connectors corroded etc, you will be chasing your tail for months, tearing your hair out.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
I'm guessing frame damage. Flood damage would be my second guess.

Unless it's a killer deal I'd RUN from a salvage titled car. You are going to have the same issues when you try to sell it one day.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I'm guessing frame damage. Flood damage would be my second guess.

Unless it's a killer deal I'd RUN from a salvage titled car. You are going to have the same issues when you try to sell it one day.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Good point. He sinks a ton of money into it.... then has a helluva time selling it down the road... cuz of the...'salvage title'. That salvage title is gonna haunt the car forever.

JJDAG

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone have tips on looking at 13-present mustangs? After finding that dud I’m just having a hard time finding exactly what I want. Every car i come across is either thrashed on or wayyyyy out of my price range.
Think of this half the fun of buying the right for you mustang is the hunt, don’t let it get you down and do not let a longer hunt make you just buy something you really don’t want. If you do find what your looking for and it’s a distance away asks all the questions get as many pics as you can check the history then go for a road trip with a friend and accept that it still may not be a good car, yet you will still have that road trip to enjoy. You will find what you want, be patient and keep looking.
Good luck!

JJ427R

Reaction score
Think of this half the fun of buying the right for you mustang is the hunt
That is so true, I spent almost 2 years looking at different cars before I bought my 2010 Roush. I wanted a supercharged automatic as I drive with hand controls. Nobody made em' until 2008 when Roush and Shelby both started to offer SC's for auto's. I started looking seriously in 08 and when I found mine in 2010 I knew immediately that that was the one I wanted. May seem odd it took two years but I was looking to get one from dealer inventory instead of ordering one so I could save some cash. Happened when I got my 2010 it was as the 2011's were getting ready to come out so I found a great deal and Ford happened to have zero financing, so I used their money for 3 years and then paid it off. Saved myself almost 8k in finance charges and bought my car for $10k under sticker.

Windstang

Reaction score
There are lots of cars out there just waiting for you! Your job - find the right one! Why get into something that might/could/probably have hidden problems that become yours to deal with. Enjoy the hunt! Don't get emotionally attached to something you have doubts about.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Several pieces of advise here are so important. Patients, and don't settle for something else. 2) Try and buy where you can personally look at it. 3) If, you're not real knowledgeable (me) take someone with you who knows cars.

I spent three months looking and found two in my area. Found both on Craig's List. My first choice the person never answered the phone or returned calls. Finally, decided he had sold the car and wasn't responding to calls. The second car a white convertible had 62,000 miles, was in great shape and I paid $13,000. My mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with the car. It had new tires, brakes and the cloth top although not new was in good shape. Everything was in great shape. I did a Car-Fax on it before buying and did a personal history check on it. Found the owner had recently been placed in an Assisted Living facility and the family was disposing of her assets. The cars are out there you just have to keep looking.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since this was posted I recently saw a similar car locally (Western NY) that was garage kept and well maintained with a clean title for the same money as this "salvage" car.

Keep looking, you will find a good one for your price range.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back