New to Mustangs

Chistopher

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I'm new to the car modding world, its never really been in the cards to put money towards improving a car until now, but I'd like to know your thoughts on what the basic, fundamental mods for a 07 S197 are. Currently I'm more focused on ideas for the interior, but sometime after this pandemic blows over I will start looking at switching it to manual and putting a proper V8 in it.

I've got a few things on my mind that I'm looking for, but I don't quite have the experience to know the best parts/brands to fulfill my needs. What I'm looking for is:

A steering wheel with volume and cruise control, probably going for a Boss style unit. Will this work with my aftermarket radio?

A reliable nitro kit.

A voltmeter, oil pressure guage, and a nitro pressure gauge. Preferably all on the dash above the radio.

A keyless push button start, if at all possible, from what I see that's not completely possible.

Any recommendations for other basic mods that I should do outside of the engine and transmission, good brand names, or tips for installs? Like I said, I'm new to car mods and new to Mustangs, so I'd be happy to know your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,
Chistopher

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
If your goal is a v8 manual trans car then you should start with one. Swapping from a v6 auto trans is going to be a lot more work than you think.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Worry about handling mods first. Depending on model (if you have a V6 base) the braking system is near useless if you plan to hop it up to any decent horsepower level. As Midlife says better to find a V8 stick and go from there. You'll thank yourself later.

Olerodder

Reaction score
I think both of the other people hit the nail on the head, you will be spending a lot of money trying to convert it to a GT. You'd be further ahead to sell the V6 and buy a GT, or keep what you've got and put a supercharger on the V6.
If you are bound and determined to change over, my suggestion would be to get a donor GT and change everything over.

https://www.ask.com/youtube?q=putti... mustang v6&v=hY7m5jjJ9mM&o=0&l=dir&qo=saLink

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
^^^Yes^^^

If you're new to the car modding world...that's a big list of overwhelming things you're planning...

Set that $$$ aside & add to kitty f/ your upgraded model.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I'm new to the car modding world, its never really been in the cards to put money towards improving a car until now, but I'd like to know your thoughts on what the basic, fundamental mods for a 07 S197 are. Currently I'm more focused on ideas for the interior, but sometime after this pandemic blows over I will start looking at switching it to manual and putting a proper V8 in it.

I've got a few things on my mind that I'm looking for, but I don't quite have the experience to know the best parts/brands to fulfill my needs. What I'm looking for is:

A steering wheel with volume and cruise control, probably going for a Boss style unit. Will this work with my aftermarket radio?

A reliable nitro kit.

A voltmeter, oil pressure guage, and a nitro pressure gauge. Preferably all on the dash above the radio.

A keyless push button start, if at all possible, from what I see that's not completely possible.

Any recommendations for other basic mods that I should do outside of the engine and transmission, good brand names, or tips for installs? Like I said, I'm new to car mods and new to Mustangs, so I'd be happy to know your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,
Chistopher

I highly recommend that you start off with a stock or near stock manual '05-'09 GT from the outset. Preferably one that's clean and well-maintained so you won't have to spend too much fixing stuff before you upgrade. You can also fix stuff with upgraded items.
Decide what your end goal for the car will be and plan your mods accordingly. Also decide how much you're willing to spend so you can prioritize them. I'd categorize them into engine performance, drivetrain, chassis/suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, interior, exterior.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I also recommend selling the V6 and look into getting an '05-'10 GT that's been well maintained and in good condition. In the end, it's going to cost you more money to convert your V6 to a GT than what it's really worth IMO :shrug:

On a lighter note, welcome to the forums.

RoushStage2

Reaction score
Agree, putting a pile of money to make a V6 into a V8 alone is a bad idea. Even swapping the tranny is not a money smart move. The car will still be an auto V6 VIN. It will be avoided by anyone looking to purchase in the future. Just too many chances for failure if it is not a factory heart and soul. It will not be worth the time and/or money you put into it. Cars that are that highly modified will be in a similar class as a tagged title. I would move on to a vehicle trade or just leave it an auto V6.

If it were me, I would look around and make a swap to a good lightly used manual GT in whatever year you are fond of and can afford. Then start your mods there. Mods still don't make a car worth more per say, but they do make it yours.

I would find a low miles, highly optioned GT and let the fun begin.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back