No crank, No start - Security Related?

DieHarder

Reaction score
Car was running fine and battery went dead. Tried to start it; then jump but nothing. Recharged the battery. Now the car won't crank. Has a Ford remote-start security system which was an option back in the day. Key fob doesn't lock/unlock the doors or do anything now. Checked the fob battery (12.4 vdc).

Tried two different main batteries - same result but unsure whether I can trust either one. When I connect battery negative the horn blares a constant tone (not the usual warble - on for a second/off for a second and the fob won't silence it). One red idiot light on the dash in the lower right that looks like a car & lock which flashes on and off about two seconds or so in length and goes out when I put the key in.

My SCT X4 doesn't show any codes. Not sure if PATS is locked out or something else. When I go KOEO lights; interior; radio work but no crank. Checked ignition circuit fuse #68 - good.

Is there a procedure to reset the alarm/reinitialize or reset PATS? Tried looking something up online. Found one procedure that supposed to clear the alarm by disconnecting the battery and going KOEO for 5 mins and then taking the key out of the ignition; locking the doors; reinserting the key and starting the engine. First time didn't work in my case. Will try it again.

Worst case I have another complete security system from the same year brand new in the box though not sure if I could do more harm than good with it. All I can say right now is the car won't crank and the horn continues to blare non-stop.

Any recommendations for procedures/systems to check? Thoughts?

Last edited:

Laga

Reaction score
Do you have a switch that disables the remote start when hood is open? Check for shorts/ground.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Stick shift or auto?

There are several revisions on this. The on line 2005 revision is different from my paper 2005 hard copy where the circuit for the starter relay is and how it interfaces with PATS via the PCM.

So as a simple quick check pull the BEC cover and listen/feel for a click on the starter relay C1017. If that is working next check fuse F3 or F4 - dependent again on the revision - in the BEC under he hood. It will be a 30 amp fuse.

IF THE RELAY (C1017) DOES NOT CLICK ON AND OFF STOP HERE. I NEED TO KNOW IF THE CAR IS AN AUTO OR STICK SHIFT AS THIS INDICATES THAT THE PROBLEM IS ON THE SJB SIDE OF THE CIRCUIT AND POSSIBLY PATS AS YOU SUSPECT.

If the fuse is good, the next place is down under at the starter. Check first and see if you have voltage on the RED wire (C197a - 1). This will have power at all times so be careful.

Next check to see if you get voltage on the Yellow/Lighblue striped wire (C197b pin 1) when the key is turned to start.

While there verify that the starter has good ground to the frame. if this all checks good you have a bad starter according to the checkout.

Hook everything back up and listen to see if you hear a click inside the starter. You could try hitting it wit ha small hammer and try again. This sometimes freed a stuck starter solenoid inside the starter motor. Replace even if the hammer trick works.

Last edited:

DieHarder

Reaction score
Figured it out. The programming module that plugs into the main box was bad. Since I had a complete replacement new in the box I just changed out the module and fobs. Plugged it in and worked like a champ. Believe it or not one of the 12v fob batteries still works from 2007!

I count myself lucky that I ran across an original remote-start security system from the same era and bought it. Came in handy as I'm fairly certain those modules would be exceedingly rare today so either a lot of rewiring to put the factory system back in operation or figure out some other workaround.

Anyway, problem solved. Thanks all for taking time to answer my query.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^
no problem. Gave the brain an exercise and a break from Lord of the Rings on TV.Its here if anyone else runs into issues and tries to search the site.

This is the reason I never buy a vehicle with aftermarket or dealer installed remote start or alarm systems. They are made by companies that are here today and gone tomorrow with no support 5 months down the road when they fold, not to mention how hap-hazardly they may have been installed.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back