Not your normal line lock question

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
I want to install a line lock on the rear brakes. Has anyone done this? Are there any possible ramifications to doing this?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
You can, I don't think anyone has done this, and I don't see why they would lol.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
to what end?

you have something similar already.... the E-brake

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
lol, I thought this might get people scratching their heads. Right now I have a line lock on the front but I don't use it for burnouts, I use it for launch control. Basically, I have the line lock and my 2 step wired into the same switch. At the starting line, when the staged light comes on, I push the brake to the floor, push the switch and remove my foot from the brake then floor the gas. My 2 step is set to 2400rpms which is much lower than my converter flash of 3100. Since the RPMs are so far from the converter flash, the rear tires don't spin. When I'm ready to launch, I release the switch which simultaneously turn off the 2 step and line lock. I call it a poor mans trans brake and it is very effective. The reason I want to put a line lock on the rear is to be able to up the RPMs of my 2 step. With the car being held by just the front tires, the closer I get to the converter flash, the more likely I am to do a burnout at the starting line while on the 2 step. I want to put a line lock on the rear for a little more insurance.

I hope that made sense.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yes, it makes more sense, IDK what the repercussions of such would be. I would think that it would be bad for the tranny but that is speculation on my part.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
You have an e-brake... lol

You tell me how to wire the e-brake to a switch and I'll be more than happy to do it.

yes, it makes more sense, IDK what the repercussions of such would be. I would think that it would be bad for the tranny but that is speculation on my part.

Not too worried about the trans. It's a built TH350. This would be no different than foot braking it, it's just leaving off of a switch rather than the foot brake which helps tremendously with RT and ET consistency. My concern is how the ABS system is going to react.

Last edited by a moderator:

GT500Steve

Seriously Boosted
Reaction score
If tou have a turbo350 trans, why not just invest in a transbrake??? I had a TH400 w/brake in a 87 Buick GN that I used to race, and trust me, they work. The only downside is they can be tough on parts.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
I'll have a trans brake put in eventually. You're right, trans brakes are hard on parts and that is my concern. At least with line locks the drive train is loaded so there is less shock to the drive train at launch. Once the car is towed to and from the track, I'll have the brake put in.

Simon

forum member
Reaction score
You tell me how to wire the e-brake to a switch and I'll be more than happy to do it.

Not too worried about the trans. It's a built TH350. This would be no different than foot braking it, it's just leaving off of a switch rather than the foot brake which helps tremendously with RT and ET consistency. My concern is how the ABS system is going to react.
All you would need to do is figure out which of the ABS lines feeds the rear brakes. Just get another solanoid, put it on the same power source and switch and call it good.

Almost all of the bracket race guys do this that don't have t-brakes. They also put their 2 step switch on their brake pedal some times.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
All you would need to do is figure out which of the ABS lines feeds the rear brakes. Just get another solanoid, put it on the same power source and switch and call it good.

Almost all of the bracket race guys do this that don't have t-brakes. They also put their 2 step switch on their brake pedal some times.

Wiring and installing it wouldn't be an issue. I'm more concerned about how the ABS is going to react to it. Doing it with the front brakes doesn't affect the ABS but was just trying to confirm that doing it with the back brakes wouldn't cause any issues as well. I think I'll give it a try next spring. The car is in storage for the winter now.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back