Obnoxious squeaking when turning to the right ONLY

EddieUA

Reaction score
So recently, since the weather warmed up a bit I’ve been driving the car a lot more than usual. After driving it for about an hour or more there’s this obnoxious squealing/squeaking when I turn the wheel to the right and only to the right. It only happens at low speeds like parking lots or when turning at an intersection from a dead stop. Nothing is rubbing anywhere that I can tell. It’s also definitely not a belt or a pump. It specifically sounds like rubber rubbing on something. I recently replaced the inner and outer tie rods but haven’t had any issues with those and I’m pretty sure I did everything correctly. My suspicions are it’s either strut mounts, ball joins, tie rods or god forbid the damn steering rack itself. Anyone have any clue/experience?

EddieUA

Reaction score

Here’s a video of the sound. It squeaks every time I turn the wheel to the right. If I go lock to lock it will continuously squeak while I’m turning the wheel to the right. Bloody baffled here lads

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Have a friend make the noise for you and start zoning in on the source. Listen with a stethoscope, or even a long screwdriver. You may also be able to feel it by pacing your hand on: top of strut tower, tie rods. Just have to find it. Should not be too difficult.

EddieUA

Reaction score
I think the noise is coming from the steering rack itself. I was sitting in the car turning the wheels and my buddy was listening under the hood and it was coming directly from the middle of the car. Fucking great

EddieUA

Reaction score
I thought about it but I have brand new end links and the sway bar doesn’t really move when you turn the wheels while the car is parked

Steven210

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 2011. Drove me crazy. I thought it was my steering rack also. When I took it to get a wheel alignment, I had the guys to try to find it. It turned out to be the bushing on the lower control arm. Once I replaced it, no more noise. The guys at the alignment shop sprayed some lubricant to help quiet it down. It did work for a bit.

410C165C-5104-41F2-B61A-D5668A113874.jpeg

EddieUA

Reaction score
Huh, I never thought of that but that kinda makes sense since the suspension geometry changes ever so slightly as your wheels turn because of caster. My bushings all around have seem better days so that makes sense

Steven210

Reaction score
Lift it up and have someone turn your wheel and check that spot. It’s worth a shot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back