Opinions on Clutch

2007Vert

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Mach 400 with the corresponding lightened fly wheel. It is a heavy feeling clutch and does engage slightly off the floor. I like the feel of the clutch, 450rwhp with the Paxton setup. RIP...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Bruce the 07806 is spec'd for the 01-04 cars, correct? Then you just need the proper throwout from Ford.

They're not even that expensive, it's what I plan on using.

The throwout bearing for our cars is built into the slave. Remember that the 07806 is a 26 spline hub for a TR-6060 or T-56. The 07805 is a 10 spline hub for the TR-3650.

It was professionally installed by a well known speed shop locally. I am not factoring that into my loss though I should. Pricing $699 for the clutch kit, $299 for the flywheel and 6.5% in sales tax was just shy of $1100 bucks. Neither was reused. However you did jog my memory that a friend I offered the flywheel to free of charge as I did the clutch to a guy in desperate need, gave me $40 for the flywheel in spite of my insisting he just take it off my hands and try to get some use out of it. So let me rephrase and say just over $1000 LOL!

I was bitterly disappointed because I expected "cadillac results" on what was supposed to be "cadillac quality". Every one raved about the clutch so I forked out the money and was it a major disappointment. To date the single biggest waste and loss on money spent I have experienced on a modification. To some that would be a blessing. To others that would be a big loss. For me it was quite a hit in the pocket book at the time.

I get it. Nobody likes taking a hit like that with nothing but misery to show for it.

I have used stock, RST, and RXT. I don't see the need for the RST. My RXT feels and acts the same but doesn't overheat at the strip. If you want a twin disk clutch and are thinking McLeod, go with the RXT. Pedal feel is like stock and I use the stock throw out bearing. It is best to use the McLeod flywheel (I have steel and that is what I prefer over any lightweight option). The stock flywheel won't work and you will have issues. I have one complainant (not counting cost) about the both the RST and RXT. My car is street driven and I get driveline vibrations caused by the clutch. I have seen only one seller mention this: http://www.jpcracing.com/mcleod-rst-twin-disc-clutch-kit-for-2001-5-2010-modular-ford-engines/ . They call them driveline feedback tones. I get that vibration listed in the ad. It is obnoxious. If you stay in that rpm range too long, you get misfire counts.
All of that being said, when this clutch wears out, I will be reluctant to try anything else for fear of high clutch pedal effort and strange engagement height.

The 4th gear buzz. I had forgotten about that. Both the 3650 and 6060 had it with the RST. Right around 1800 rpm. I just made sure I stayed out of that rpm range in 4th. To me it was a small price to pay for all of the benefits of the clutch.

46addict

Reaction score
The stock flywheel won't work and you will have issues. I have one complainant (not counting cost) about the both the RST and RXT. My car is street driven and I get driveline vibrations caused by the clutch. I have seen only one seller mention this: http://www.jpcracing.com/mcleod-rst-twin-disc-clutch-kit-for-2001-5-2010-modular-ford-engines/ . They call them driveline feedback tones. I get that vibration listed in the ad. It is obnoxious. If you stay in that rpm range too long, you get misfire counts.
All of that being said, when this clutch wears out, I will be reluctant to try anything else for fear of high clutch pedal effort and strange engagement height.
What's the reasoning behind not being able to use the stock flywheel? Is it a dimension issue like mentioned above?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Huge centerfotce fan here, never had an issue with one. But I dont drag race with the car. The two reasons i like CF clutches are smooth engagement and light pedal pressure.

So when I put the coyote and xl in my car, I went with the 26 spline DF, ford racing 20lb flywheel, and dorman slave. Left the stock plastic line and stock master cyl. It has been nearly flawless for close to 15000 miles.

With the clutch, I have two minor annoyances. I get a slight chatter on the lightest take offs. (creeping forward in traffic without throttle). And it doesnt take much to smell some clutch on a moderately aggressive launch. But it feels great otherwise, the engagement point is perfect, and there are no shifting issues.

I cant comment on blown slave cylinders. @15k everything is still as it was when new. I know a lot of ppl hate CF clutches, why, I have no explanation. I will keep using them till I run into a problem. This is my fourth car I put one in.

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
Delete my post please. Got to reading and forgot this is a 2 year old post..

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back