pigtails and fuses

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I am starting on my next project of adding heat elements to my seats, but want the functionality of the oem buttons on my head unit. I have a good handle on what needs to be done, but I had a basic wiring question.

Both fuses for heated seats exist in my fuse blocks. Does this mean that the wire coming from the BJB and the SJB for those circuits exist? I know the full circuit might not, but is there a wire at least up to the first connection point for those harnesses?

I haven't taken either harness apart to see if the wires are there yet (obviously), just trying to figure out if I'm going to need to add pins to each of those connectors and/or run the power wire from the JB's.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I would not bet on wires being there.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
thats a tough call. it does appear that c300 and c311 are present. c300 is found on kdy wiring harness side and c311 on the seat side according to the location prints. i know that the auto shifter connector is in the cars regardless of configuration as i used that connector on my 2005 to light and provide voltage zs needed on a dash mounted triple gauge pod years ago. as for the heater relay unit and other items not as clear. plus there is also canbus coms link between the hvac module and front heat controls. you will need that harness i would guess. conx c2402 to c294a on hvac unit. appears to be a splice point used in canbus s255 and s252.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
thats a tough call. it does appear that c300 and c311 are present. c300 is found on kdy wiring harness side and c311 on the seat side according to the location prints. i know that the auto shifter connector is in the cars regardless of configuration as i used that connector on my 2005 to light and provide voltage zs needed on a dash mounted triple gauge pod years ago. as for the heater relay unit and other items not as clear. plus there is also canbus coms link between the hvac module and front heat controls. you will need that harness i would guess. conx c2402 to c294a on hvac unit.

the auto connector is on mine as well. I already planned on adding the wires from the HVAC module and the FCIM, I was going to see if my source will cut the pigtails off the donor car for me so I can pull pins out and add them to my harness. Unless there is a source online for buying pins for these connectors.

I was just wondering if that short run of wire might exist that exits the BJB and the SJB. I know to save money for Ford, it shouldn't. But then, why are the fuses in both boxes? That would of saved them money as well to omit them. That's just my line of thinking at least.

On my wiring schematic, there is a short run of wire from each JB to a connector. From SJB, it goes to C311, and from the BJB it goes to C265. If the wires existed only up to those connectors, that would be great. That's what I'm hoping for at least.

I'll update when I get around to dissecting those harnesses that exit the JB's.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
looking closer c2402 may be present also. may have a terminator of some type on it to remove b4 use.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
cheaper and less overhead to make one common harness for all so assume all will be there aside from cables between the pads in each seat or other cevices with hardwired cables. but u know wat assuming gets ya. lol

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I totally expect the wiring to the relays, wiring to the seat heater coils, etc DOES NOT exist. I'm almost positive on that. Those are all the things that I know need to be added to the car. I'm just hoping there's a power lead from the power sources.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
can anyone tell me what style of terminal would be in the interior plugs of the car? Are they the wedgelock or the metri-pack maybe? I wouldn't need the pigtails out of the donor car if I could just buy the terminals I needed.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I was looking closer at this tonight at home on a larger screen. It appears that you will need the entire wiring harness from the seats you are robbing from as the heated seat relays look to be a part of the harness. While the main harness on the car seems to have all the connections you will need, the seat harnesses vary. I am attaching the overview of component location for the drivers seat for you to look at and make your own conclusions.May just be easier to pick up heated seats and see if you can do a trade and some cash with a salvage yard.

https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=711&f=151 - Component Location Views.pdf&p=17

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
For those that have access to service manuals, do you have pictures of where connectors are located like this? I would love a photo to know where these connectors are, would make it a whole lot easier to locate them and search for the wire that I'm hoping for.

Or, how do you go about getting access to online or downloaded copies of full service/tech manuals?

Screenshot_20221102-214135_Chrome.jpg

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I was looking closer at this tonight at home on a larger screen. It appears that you will need the entire wiring harness from the seats you are robbing from as the heated seat relays look to be a part of the harness. While the main harness on the car seems to have all the connections you will need, the seat harnesses vary. I am attaching the overview of component location for the drivers seat for you to look at and make your own conclusions.May just be easier to pick up heated seats and see if you can do a trade and some cash with a salvage yard.

https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=711&f=151 - Component Location Views.pdf&p=17

My plan was to just use some normal Bosch five blade relays and create my own harness, that part doesn't necessarily have to be OEM as it would all be hidden inside the dash and would function the exact same.

I just want the OEM buttons to work

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^ Gotcha. Just thought you were going after a stock mod.

If you go to the hyperlink I provided in reply #10 you will see that at the bottom you can page through that entire section as well as look at any other section in the wiring diagram using the index to the left and find the connector you are looking for...assuming it will suffice for a 12. I only have access to 2005 (paper and online) and 2011 (online only) prints/manuals.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
If you go to the hyperlink I provided in reply #10 you will see that at the bottom you can page through that entire section as well as look at any other section in the wiring diagram using the index to the left and find the connector you are looking for...assuming it will suffice for a 12. I only have access to 2005 (paper and online) and 2011 (online only) prints/manuals.

Awesome, thank you! I hadn't clicked on it yesterday because I wasn't in front of a computer, just on my phone. But I went through it and found what I needed. It should be the same for the '12 MY, hopefully.

There are a couple things I can't figure out.
There are ground circuits for the heater pads, S303 for driver and S328 for passenger. On the component view, it has a symbol similar to ~ , what does this mean? I can't find it in the legend at the beginning of the guide. Is this just the symbol for a splice?

On the wiring diagram, where the wires come out of the HVAC and FCIM, underneath the wires, it says VDB07, or VDB06, CHS29, CHS30. What are these referencing?

Last edited:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
s303 and s328 are splices. the squiggly ljne is showing their approximate location within the wiring harness.

the other labels are part of what ford calls a global wiring iddntification number. it is one of three w8re iddntification systems they use. there is standard, global, and ngcns. may have more meaning within the ford te h support inner circle. i would assume that this allows more in depth reference to a wire and a specific area. chs29 wire at pin 5 of c311 for example.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I have a reenactment to go to this weekend, so I won't make any headway into it.
I did check a few things on my lunch break. The violet/red white exists from the BJB to inside the car. The grey wire from the SJB does not exist. A few of the wires exist in the passenger seat feed, but not all. Looks easy enough to add the wiring I need to the existing connectors, underneath the seat at least

I might try and get the heater relay and as much of the pigtail/harness as they're willing to provide out of the donor car to simplify things a little more. Or see if they'll let me come strip it out myself as they're only hour and half away from me.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Found my connectors, but some of them are giving me a little bit of trouble.
I thought I read that in some of the service guides, you could click on the connector and it would give you information about it. It might of been on newer guides only though? Like, 2015+ or something, I can't remember for sure.

I'm most interested in connector C260 underneath the dash on drivers side. I would love to find a pinout of that plug.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back