Poor man's "big" brake upgrade

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Ok. I've searched this and found a guy that has done this before but not on these forums that I am aware of; but I'll like to start this thread to show it on these forums for reference. So I'm not doing anything that hasn't been done before.

Now that I have said that; I will explain what I am doing. I'm upgrading my brakes to 2011+ GT non-brembo versions.

I'm in need of new rotors and pad all around so I figured this was a good time if ever to try this on my car. So I bought 2011+ GT non-brembo rotors from this forum's great vendor.......TPS motorsports. Mike Mak is a great guy. I couldn't get him on the phone and left a voicemail.....he called back less than 2 minutes later. And answered the PM I sent on here in less than an hour. This guy is on top of it and must be very active on these forums. So a thanks goes out to Mike.

From TPS, I bought rotors and Hawk HPS pads for all around. So the pads themselves are going to be better than my OEM pads. So improvement is a given with that alone. However, I don't know how much, if any, will the larger rotors improve braking. My guess is only a minor reduction in brake fade will come of it.

The cosmetically this should be a big improvement over my rusty 2005 brakes. The 20'' steeda spyder make the brakes look tiny. So anything larger is better in my eyes. I chose TPS's black zinc coated slotted/dimpled rotors and painted the calipers and rear caliper bracket black.

The question lingering to some who haven't done this, seen, or heard of this done may be, "how the hell is that going to work?".

Answer is simple:

This upgrade only requires a 2011+ GT non-brembo front caliper bracket and any set of rotors that will work on a non-brembo 2011+ GT. I bought the brackets new from Tousley Ford for $66 each. So $132 plus the shipping. Finding the right bracket was a cluster at the local dealership and not to mention their price per bracket was $100. Regardless there are different part numbers out there. Nick at Tousley said he saw an old and new number. Once the UPS guy gets here I post the Ford part number on the box.

Mike send the tracking number for my rotors yesterday, so I'll post the pic of that as well to showcase them.

The 2011+ calipers have different numbers casted on them compared to the 2005-09 calipers, but it's been proven that they are physically the same part so its will accept the rotors and pads.

The rotor sizes are:

05-09: 12.4"

2011+: 13.25"

Now, I don't think this would be a worthwhile upgrade if you have a good set of rotors on your car, but if you ever need an excuse to get new ones then I can see it.

I'll post the before and afters and more infor as I do this.

Silversky545

forum member
Reaction score
Is there a company that makes a closed off caliper to replace the stock caliper(to look more like a performance caliper)? I read your post an got to thinking... If u buy slotted rottors for a 2012, and the brackets you speak of , plus the new calipers if they are out there then the set up would look even better

r0ng5

forum member
Reaction score
sounds kind of lame.. but can front brakes be used for the rear?

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
sounds kind of lame.. but can front brakes be used for the rear?

Each to his own, but if the rotors are going to be replaced anyway I don't mind the slight upgrade. I've always tried upgrading components when I can when a replacement is in order. If you ever jacked up your own car and removed a wheel and looked.....you could see that you can't use fronts on the rears. Steeds and Baer make rotors and extender brackets to achieve larger rotor diameters but then you are spending 500 or so just to get a larger rotor on EITHER front and rear and not both. I can't see the performance gains being worth that. But using a OEM bracket to get close to the same results with rotors of choice isn't lame in my book. To put it in perspective, 05-09 GTs are running the same brakes as a 2011+ V6. Apparently ford saw fit to upgrade the GTs even while a brembo option is available.

FWIW Roush is blowing takeoff 11-12 front brakes out at a ridiculous price on ebay.

FORD MUSTANG - 13.2" FRONT ROTORS, CALIPERS, AND BRAKE PADS - NEW! TAKE-OFF OEM: http://bit.ly/J2clZZ #ebaymobile

The first guy that I know that did this used takeoff rotors for 60 each. I've been wanting TPS's rotors for a while now because of their options and zinc coating. Takeoffs could be a cheaper route if doing for the sake of the upgrade alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

dsmdiggler

forum member
Reaction score
Son of a...... I wish I would have known about that ebay deal before last weekend.. I just replaced front pads/rotors.. Wahhhhh

Silversky545

forum member
Reaction score
I was going to buy this eBay brake sale ... But the 18" polished gt/cs bullets won't allow these to fit huh :-(

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was going to buy this eBay brake sale ... But the 18" polished gt/cs bullets won't allow these to fit huh :-(

I am going with this style wheel spacer. Ended up with 1/2 inch on the back and am trying 7/8" but may have to use 1" to clear the GT500's.

You might be able to get away with less on this setup.

S1971Inchwheelspacers.jpg

Thekid760

forum member
Reaction score
I highly doubt it, but will these clear 17" Bullitts?

Thinking about them for my 65 Mustang.

Agent007

forum member
Reaction score

These should fit your wheels just fine... you may be confusing this option with the GT500 setup which is 14"... which your wheels will not work for.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
If fitment is a question, ask vendors like american muscle that have huge wheel inventories and see what fits a 2011+. Here is a pic with it on a 2008 factory 18'' wheel:

IMG_20110722_055434.jpg

Spin the wheel to the point the spokes gets the closest to the caliper and I would imagine if you have an 1'' of clearance you should be good. If you don't have an inch of clearance from the inner part of the wheel as it sits then it definitly wont work.

Last edited:

Thekid760

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not so worried about caliper to spoke clearance, just caliper to rim (diameter) clearance. But it looks close with the 18's so I'd guess 17's are out of the question.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt call this a big brake upgrade but I would call it poor man's lol.

But sure, if your stock stuff is worn out might as well get the slightly larger rotor, but I dont see this improving braking performance in anyway at least not noticeabley. So I wouldnt go out and waste money on this unless your stock stuff is shot, my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Silversky545

forum member
Reaction score
Depends on what your doing it for... I'm thinking of buying 2011+ slotted rotors from the guy in classifieds... Might not improve braking but will make the car look a lot more sharp... So the cost to me is worth it... Do different than buying a hood or something

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back