ported throttle body

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
Should i buy a twin 62mm throttle body or should i rather just bore/port my stocker? are the actual twin blades 62mm on the FRPP as opposed to 55mm on the stock, or do they still use 55mm blades and just bore out the entrance holes to 62mm?

sorry if this makes no sense at all...

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The have bigger bores and bigger blades. And going from a stocker at 55 to a 62 is a big difference in size if you compare the 2 tb's.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a bbk 62mm and love it, zero issues. You can find them in the classifieds, the gt500 with an adaptor plate is gonna cost alil more and the frpp piece of course is the most $$. Its up to you.

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
yea im getting a few things polished so i figured ill get the bbk and send it in too.
thanks
and yea i would get a gt500 one. too much "modification" just for a bolt on and costs more...

06gtmustang

forum member
Reaction score
I ported and polished my stock tb a little. I had nothing else to do that day and i was told aftermarket ones wont help much if you dont have extensive mods done. I dont know if it helped any but most of the time they dont since the blade port/bore stays the same size

Last edited:

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
try to buy a used GT500 TB, theres several guys who buy a monoblade for their GT500.

06gtmustang

forum member
Reaction score
I did remove a good amount of material unfortunately i didnt take a before pic

weeloGT

forum member
Reaction score
prob with the gt500 is the spacer you have to buy then your chaging the air intake distance, rather keep the throttle body where it is and port it for a little while til im ready to step up to a new intake, could you feel a better response with it ported, does it still idle smooth?

06gtmustang

forum member
Reaction score
Idle stayed the same and im pretty sure it helped a little. Just make sure you dont port the smooth finish near the blades and you could grind down the bolts holding the blades but if you over do the heads it will be a pain to get them tightened back down.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Decided to revive an old thread instead of starting a new one.
I bought a used stock TB from eBay a few months ago and ported it with good results:

Stock vs Ported:

upload_2020-9-17_22-14-24.png

Note that I only ported the inlets and didn't disturb the bores/blades downstream, thus preserving a steady idle quality.
I can't attest to a measurable performance or mpg gain, but throttle response was sharpened and datalogs showed a small increase in short term fuel trims, confirming a slight inctease in airflow.
Definitely worth a few minutes of effort with a die grinder, carbide cutter, and sanding roll.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did pretty much the same thing back in 2010, looks just about identical as well. I did shave the ends off of the screws on the throttle blades.
I had nothing but time and it is my car to do with it as I please so tried it.

No problems with it in 10 years.

Flusher

Reaction score
Decided to revive an old thread instead of starting a new one.
I bought a used stock TB from eBay a few months ago and ported it with good results:

Stock vs Ported:

View attachment 74420

Note that I only ported the inlets and didn't disturb the bores/blades downstream, thus preserving a steady idle quality.
I can't attest to a measurable performance or mpg gain, but throttle response was sharpened and datalogs showed a small increase in short term fuel trims, confirming a slight inctease in airflow.
Definitely worth a few minutes of effort with a die grinder, carbide cutter, and sanding roll.

How thin did it get where you broke the edges between the throttle bores? Do you feel that there is any danger of cracking or were you in danger of breaking through?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
It was hard to tell but I didn't want to risk thinning the aluminum too much in those areas. I'm very happy with the result as it is.

Flusher

Reaction score
Some have referred to what I want to do as defeating the emissions equipment. I prefer to view it as refining it.

Some of the things I would like to try in my stealth emissions compliant build throttle body mods:

I would have to measure the shaft diameter as well as the throttle bore diameters to get actual cross-section areas. It's probably an 8mm (.3149") split style shaft. I'm confident that 1.27mm (.05") can be back-cut from each side of the shaft. The shaft can also be streamlined, including foiled around the fasteners, as well as countersunk screws installed, to reduce turbulence.

Modifying the throttle shaft would only effect flow at WOT, where it makes the most difference. At part-throttle, the shaft is not a restriction, and therefore should not affect drivability.

Flusher

Reaction score
Somewhere I saw that machining the back side of the throttle bores to a 7-degree angle, beyond the actual throttle bores, really makes a difference.

That is done fairly frequently on carburetors, but I think that is mostly to help shear and atomize the fuel, as well as prevent reversion (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wsn-525200).

I would think that something that streamlines the transition from throttle body to intake manifold, while reducing turbulence and dead spots, would work better in a dry manifold (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wsn-024130).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back