Porter Cable 7424XP Chem Guys sale

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
I wasnt sure if anyone had seen it but they are running a sale right now for 189.99 on the polisher with 3 pads and two free bottles of polish and mirror finish. They are offering a 50.00 rebate on it as well and free shipping but it only lasts today. I think im going to pull the trigger on it myself.

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Sorry guys. I apparently told too late. They sold out earlier today. Was trying to do y'all a solid

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
I have had that polisher for years but I'm ready to upgrade. The PC just takes too long to achieve corrections. Been going back and forth between the Rupes Bigfoot 21 and the Flex 3401. I have definitely made up my mind and will be getting the Flex. The thing I hate about the PC and the Rupes is that the rotation will stall out when working certain curved panels. The Flex because of "forced rotation" will not. However I won't ditch the PC. I plan on buying the 3" backing plate and pads for those tight areas.

ModdedMach

Detailer of shiny things.
Reaction score
PC is not the machine id choose, even for a weekend warrior- not that it cant get the job done, but its just so down on power. For the same price you can get a GG with a better warranty.

And CG polishes are mediocre at best. They work alright inside a DA platform on moderate paints, but if you are working on multiple kinds of paint or need to level down major defects, id stick with Brands/products that are proven.

Love their soap tho, for sure lol

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Is GG Griots Garage??? Not familiar with all the brands... Ill have to look into them. I just want something that will do a good job and I wont burn up my paint or anyone elses with it. I plan on learning to do this and do cars on the side to make more money.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm at the point where I want to move beyond the PC....been looking at the Flex though.

Just need to come up with the funds right now lol. Maybe a Christmas present to myself.

ModdedMach

Reaction score
Is GG Griots Garage??? Not familiar with all the brands... Ill have to look into them. I just want something that will do a good job and I wont burn up my paint or anyone elses with it. I plan on learning to do this and do cars on the side to make more money.

Any dual action polisher will be pretty fool proof as long as you use common sense. Burning the paint or "Strike through" usually occurs from the misuse of a rotary polisher- different thread, another day.

Quick overview of popular DA machines. Do know, that all "Random Orbitals" are Dual action, but not all dual action polishers are "Random Orbitals". ROPs have a free spindle assembly that allows the pad rotation speed to slow down or change without effecting the oscillation speed- this creates the random pattern.

Here is an overview of the more commonly used DA polishers, there are a ton, but these are the most popular.

Beginner/Inexpensive Polishers:
(~$120) Porter Cable 7424XP :) 500w, 8mm offset, free spindle, random orbital DA, limited warranty, gets the job done but lacks in outright power.

(~$140) Griots Garage: 850w/7amp, 8mm offset, free spindle random orbital, much more torque over a PC, more vibration tho. Lifetime warranty (free replacement forever)

(~$180)Meguiars G110v2: 4.2amp, 8mm offset, free spindle RO, Similar power levels to the PC with more "features".

There are also DAs made by 3DHD, Harbor freight, its all made in china and all very similar. Griots is "made in america" technically and has the best warranty.

Industrial Grade/Professional DA Polishers:
(~$350) Rupes LHR15: 500w, Free spindle(ROP), 15mm offset, 2 year warranty, very smooth operation. Large offset maximizes pad movement across the paint making the machine more capable at the same speeds.

(~$400) Rupes LHR21: Same body/design as the LHR15 with a 1" larger backing plate and 21mm offset, even more correction ability.

(~$360) Flex 3401VRG: 900w/7.5amp, Direct Drive DA, 8mm offset. Smooth operation, interchangeable backing plates.

The direct drive means the spindle rotates the BP along a geared ring, as the machine spindle rotates clockwise the backing plate spins counterclockwise against a gear in the shroud, this results in a locked ratio of rotation to oscillation, so when the machine is set at speed the oscillation and rotation change together, but not independently. The advantage is that the machines rotation speed is faster and doesnt bog down or slow rotation like a ROP does. Its sort of like having a low speed rotary that oscillates for safety. Its still very safe, like other DAs, but has advantages over a free spindle system. The flex also has a microprocessor in it that monitors the speed of the machine and as pressure is applied, the processor increases torque from the motor in order to maintain a constant speed- youll never bog a flex. Also, being a direct drive design, it has a very mild learning curve when it comes to using it (i can elaborate later if your curious). Note: Because the relationship between rotation and oscillation are fixed, the flex is NOT a "Random orbital", its a Direct Drive dual action polisher.

I know it seems like im talking up the flex- Im just explaining more about it because its one of the only polishers with an integrated direct drive design.

There are many other smaller DAs, pneumatic denibbers, rotary polishers, orbital sanders, but this is a rundown of what most people buy as there "main" machine. Most pros have more than 1 as they work on different cars all the time and have to be prepared.

I started with a GG, killed it in about a year, it died in the middle of a big correction (07 BMW 335i in super soft black). I bought/("rented") a PC7424 locally to finish the job and HATED it, so down on power compared to the GG. Once i got my replacement GG in the mail, I sold it and a variety of supplies in a kit to a forum member (different forum) and used the proceeds to purchase a Flex 3401 DA because i needed a machine that I could count on detailing on a more freqent level that your average "enthusiast". I already had purchased a Flex PE14 Rotary prior that year and really loved the ergos and build quality of the Flex. Very happy with my pair of Flex polishers. To each his own however, everyone has a preference.

Yeah, I'm at the point where I want to move beyond the PC....been looking at the Flex though.

Just need to come up with the funds right now lol. Maybe a Christmas present to myself.

I love my Flex, its a beast. I have the PE14 Rotary as well. Ive had my Flex for a year and a half and it still works like new.

Last edited:

28ONE

Reaction score
Night and day difference PC vs Flex3401 ime...I still prefer 3401 over a Rupes!

ModdedMach

Reaction score
Night and day difference PC vs Flex3401 ime...I still prefer 3401 over a Rupes!

It's night and day from any standard entry level Polisher.

I know of very established detailer folk who prefer the flex over the rupes for heavy correction.

Can't say one is better than the other because it's Apple's and oranges, but I'm very happy with both my flex machines, I have no want for a rupes.

28ONE

Reaction score
It's night and day from any standard entry level Polisher.

I know of very established detailer folk who prefer the flex over the rupes for heavy correction.

Can't say one is better than the other because it's Apple's and oranges, but I'm very happy with both my flex machines, I have no want for a rupes.

Ain't that the truth - curious to see what Flex is releasing at SEMA - maybe mini Flexizilla :beerchug2:

ModdedMach

Reaction score
Flex is releasing something? Hmmmm I like the sound of this.

Oh man, there goes all my money lol.

Small polisher could be it, but since the 3401 can take smaller backing plates, im going to thing they are coming out with something to compete with the rupes, larger throw direct drive maybe?

In the vid it looks like a very compact small body rotary unit. Honestly, if the price is right i think alot of people will like that because the precision of a rotary is still something it has over a DA, so having a small machine that isnt super pricey would sell well i think.

Da wise...im excited to see if they having something new out. Honestly, they didnt NEED to because the 3401 in its own right corrects just as well as the competition, but im sure there are people that need more pleasing and thats what its about.

Last edited:

28ONE

Reaction score
Oh man, there goes all my money lol.

Small polisher could be it, but since the 3401 can take smaller backing plates, im going to thing they are coming out with something to compete with the rupes, larger throw direct drive maybe?

It's a real strong possibility it could go either way - I just hope it continues to have forced rotation...

28ONE

Reaction score
I like my Rupes. Bleh you guys and your Flex's. Lol

Hahahaha actually I've found its great to have a variety of products to deal with a variety of situations - this includes polishers. I know in my case I have too much shit I'll probably finish off using in this lifetime lol

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
OK, dumb question just because I haven't used the Flex, but will it accept the same backing plates as the PC?

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
What blew if for me considering Rupes is that it still has the propensity to stall on curved panels just like my PC.

Back