Power bump of 5.0??

grayghost01gt

Mustang Junkie
Reaction score
So guys, how much of a power bump do you think the new 5.0 is getting with updated Heads and Forged rods? Do you think it will end up being the magical 444 HP number that the boss 302 laid down, or higher with a better torque curve?

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see...got my gutless, fatass 2012 to an 11 second quarter on Procal and slicks so, fingers crossed for the new car....

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I beat will be around 440 HP. But 0-60 be near the same because using the same power trane Ford will just use even more torque management. Gains will be only from being 200 pounds lighter. Now quarter mile prob a .10 quicker. All the gains on the new 5.0L will be when you can tune it to pull back torque management

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
They haven't even been released and it's started... TTOTD

But, I am pretty sure it will easily be more powerful than the Roadrunner, and I don't think Ford is concerned about hurting the Boss's reputation and Heritage by rating it higher than the Roadrunner.
Also, the rods are sinter forged, instead of powder forged like the 11-14 Coyote, nor do the composition of the rods determine BHP.
It will most likely be rated 7,500RPM from the factory. Larger intake and exhuast valves will make for more BHP, revised heads again, more BHP, and the CMPs will allow more torque in the low to mid range but will "hurt" top end by 5-10BHP. They've also changed something about the TiVCT, but in the end, it's all assumptions until Ford releases final BHP ratings and Tuners get their hands on them and work their magic.

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
They haven't even been released and it's started... TTOTD

But, I am pretty sure it will easily be more powerful than the Roadrunner, and I don't think Ford is concerned about hurting the Boss's reputation and Heritage by rating it higher than the Roadrunner.
Also, the rods are sinter forged, instead of powder forged like the 11-14 Coyote, nor do the composition of the rods determine BHP.
It will most likely be rated 7,500RPM from the factory. Larger intake and exhuast valves will make for more BHP, revised heads again, more BHP, and the CMDP will allow more torque in the low to mid range but will "hurt" top end by 5-10BHP. They've also changed something about the TiVCT, but in the end, it's all assumptions until Ford releases final BHP ratings and Tuners get their hands on them and work their magic.

Sinter forged and powder forged are the same technique, fyi.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Do you think it will end up being the magical 444 HP number that the boss 302 laid down, or higher with a better torque curve?
Youre not going to get a "better torque curve" and make the same power without increasing displacement or increasing compression significantly (which they wont do because it needs to still be able to run on 87 octane).

What exactly is wrong with the Boss torque curve anyway? Its a hell of a lot better than the regular coyote.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Who cares?! How strong are the rods?! Lol

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Youre not going to get a "better torque curve" and make the same power without increasing displacement or increasing compression significantly (which they wont do because it needs to still be able to run on 87 octane).

What exactly is wrong with the Boss torque curve anyway? Its a hell of a lot better than the regular coyote.

That's why they added the charge motion plates, or whatever they are naming them this time.

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
If the 15 rods are that much stronger then ill have one order of those thank you!!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My take away from the pictures talking about the changes to the 5.0 was expect Boss level power. 440-450 hp with maybe a small bump in bottom end torque due to the charge motion control system.

Falkinman

forum member
Reaction score
In one of the interviews I watched, the design engineer from ford said something to the effect that the power level could be higher than the boss 302 but rpm limit wouldn't be any higher.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
There really is no need for the powerband to go past 7,500RPMs. That would only make it more expensive.

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
Here's the original link. Fuck I hate this damn phone !!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back