Prothane motor mounts/cammed motor

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
Guys wanting to sell me prothane motor mounts, said he cammed his car with aggressive cams and the mounts made the car shake to bad for his liking I’m guessing! My car will be cammed with stage 1 MMR turbo cams…think I’ll have the same problem? Anyone running these mounts? Are they good…dunno anything about them.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
Run them for years,no issues. Get an MGW shifter and coupled with these motor mounts your shifting problems will be solved.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With the turbo cams it won't be too bad. I have custom grind Bullett racing turbo cams that are pretty close in spec to the MMR stage 2's and you can feel the shake more than with stock motor mounts but it isn't extreme.

The car definitely feels harsher than before the motor mounts. I'm 50/50 as to whether I'd do motor mounts on another one of these cars as going to a TR6060 and an MGW Gen 2 shifter put any shifting issues these cars are known for to bed.

Hollowdweller

Reaction score
How does the motor mounts effect shifting? Just trying to learn, not asking in disbelief!!

crjackson

Reaction score
How does the motor mounts effect shifting? Just trying to learn, not asking in disbelief!!
Under hard acceleration, the engine/transmission rotate slightly as the soft rubber, stock mounts flex & give. Since the stock-shifter uses a remote mounting arrangement (partially attached to the chassis), the shifter/linkage become misaligned with the transmission when attempting to execute a shift. This generally causes a lock-out condition (meaning you can’t shift into the desired gear).

Harder mounts prevent or reduce the amount of rotation, thereby also reducing shifter misalignment & lock-out.

Also MGW makes excellent shifters that eliminate remote-mounting. This allows the shifter/linkage to rotate with the transmission, thus eliminating the misalignment.

Last edited:

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The combination of the stock mounts and the soft bushings in the remote mount stock shifter can combine for enough movement to put the drivetrain into a bind under power and can make it so that it is physically impossible to get the shifter into the next gear due to alignment. Stiffening up the motor mounts can decrease some of the movement and keep the whole system from getting into a bind.

Some aftermarket shifters can change the geometry enough that the system does not bind and some of the solutions involved de-coupling the shifter from the body altogether to avoid bind.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I love my steeda urethane motor mounts and blowfish bracket (4.6/TR3650,) have made shifting almost OK and the car is neat. I have 127300 cams.

Damn it, the car is in storage and now I wish I could go for a drive.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back