Random engine shut off at stop

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My friend has a V6 auto and it keeps shutting off on her at stop lights. She noticed the ignition is a bit loose, you can twist the key a tiny bit in the on position and it'll kill the motor.

Doesn't seem to do it while driving only when waiting at stop lights. Car starts right up after it dies. No CEL. No nothing. Recently had TPS changed at dealer because the old one was dead and threw wrench lights.

All advice and insight welcome! It's a 08 V6 mustang. Thank guys!

blk12gt

forum member
Reaction score
Have you tried isolating the key??? Removing all unneeded key/chains... Can you replicate it? Having extra weight on the keys is a good way to destroy an ignition. I only keep my house key and the car key on mine cause this happened to a buddy of mine.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
I think you've already found the #1 item on the possible problem list. Do as suggested above, as well as getting the spare key (key you're using now may be wearing badly or prematurely)

Kalatrax

forum member
Reaction score
The key isn't the issue. Once the car starts it no longer checks for the chip or tumbler engagement. Its most likely a bad ignition switch. I would also be checking the idle air valve and cleaning the MAF.

blk12gt

forum member
Reaction score
The key isn't the issue. Once the car starts it no longer checks for the chip or tumbler engagement. Its most likely a bad ignition switch. I would also be checking the idle air valve and cleaning the MAF.

No the key probably isn't but the weight is probably is...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
unless of course she, like a lot of girls, has a lot of useless keychains on her keys. as she is coming to a stop, the weight of the keychains is continuing forward, causing the key itself to turn backwards towards the off position. it only takes a slight turn backwards to kill the engine and leave the key in the on position. if her ignition is already loose (most likely from the extra weight) then it will turn even easier. try it out next time your in your car.

Shat9611

Ex-ford tech
Reaction score
If you determine its not the ignition...when she comes to a stop and it feels like its gonna die try putting the car in neutral and if it stays running then the its a sticking torque convertor

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Thanks guys, she says it only happens once or twice a month and always at a stop. I told her to watch for the foglights and see if they shut off when the car dies to check if it's really the ignition.

EDIT:

Not sure how I forgot to mention this, it was on my priorities to put it in the original post, but yes, she drives with a keychain full of crap, thing is damn heavy. First thing I told her is to drive with just the ignition key. We'll see!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back