Rear End Cover Necessary?

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking to have new rear end gears installed.

The shop, who is very reputable and who I trust (as much as I trust anyone - not much!), highly recommends a new cover at the same time.

I don't track the car, but the rep says it is more about the stock one being thin and sometimes bending with reuse - causing leaks.

That legit? I don't mind spending the extra $175 if its a good investment, but I don't want to do so unnecessarily either . . . .

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Never heard of such a thing.
Only time I have changed a cover is to go to the Ford racing cover with the load screw for the bearings for the drag strip.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
which cover?

there are some that aid cooling or that stiffen the diff housing

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
They are suggesting the LPW Ultra, which is actually the cheapest one they sell. That cover advertises cooling fins and stiffening the housing . . . just not sure I care about that with a 450 RWHP street car.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
needed probably not, I did have that one on my 06 GT at 460whp, don't on the shelby at 775 whp

it's a nice aesthetic upgrade

46addict

Reaction score
Some covers have a fill/drain plug so you can keep the cover on while doing fluid changes. I've heard of the strengthening benefit as well.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Yea, I believe it serves a functional purpose for a high HP drag car . . . just not sure for a street car. And I still don't know what to think about them saying the stock one is susceptible to bending/leaking upon reuse.

Aesthetically, I dig it . . . but you can't really see it either once installed. If aesthetics end up being the decision point, the Ford Racing one looks the best. But not sure if that one presents any clearance issues if you upgrade the panhard later or anything . . .

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
They are trying to upsell you, blowing smoke up your ass. Just say "No thanks, I'll keep the stock cover. Just use black or grey RTV when you put it back on so it doesn't leak."

And if they manage to bend the cover, make them replace it on their dime.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
They are trying to upsell you, blowing smoke up your ass. Just say "No thanks, I'll keep the stock cover. Just use black or grey RTV when you put it back on so it doesn't leak."

And if they manage to bend the cover, make them replace it on their dime.

Yea, an unnecessary upscale is what I was worried about. In their defense, when I asked about the more expensive Ford Racing cover, they actually recommended the cheaper LPW because it vents.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back