Rear end or tranny, which to upgrade first

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
I'm currently building my car (after being blown for a year :( ) and I'm looking to be in the 600-700 hp range (hopefully). Eventually I will be building/replacing both the rear end and the transmission but I don't have enough in my budget to do both right away. So my question is which part can I get away with for a longer amount of time? Would the stock trans or the stock rear end last me longer at lets say 600 rwhp and 550 ft lbs?

And does anyone have any topics they could recommend me reading for a t56 vs tr6060 swap?

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Here is my thought. To be LEGAL, you need to do the rear. anything in the 10.99 or faster needs a axle retention device. So by that accord, upgrade your center sections and c clips elems, plus with a massive HP increase you gonna need to adjust the rear ratio anyway, so might as well do the rear first.

Your trans will give out in time. Then fix that.

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
Well it will NOT be going to the track until next year because I still will need a cage and all that...

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well it will NOT be going to the track until next year because I still will need a cage and all that...

Then do the rear end first , hell dex has been rolling around with around 600 + iirc and all is fine on his , hell I have beat the shit out of mine at the track with 500 and all is fine so I would think normal driving in the upper hp range SHOULD be fine ..... hell I hope so I will be turning mine up in about 2 weeks and still on a stock tranny lmao . Now with that being said I am guessing you are t/s correct ? If so no launches on it at 500+ because it will blow just ask 05mustang_kb_charged he has gone through a few stockers lol and I know of another friend who is whipple-charged at the 500+ mark who destroyed quite a few too . Keep the driving reasonable and should be good BUT be prepared to rebuilt it at any minute .

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
I won't be doing launches but I probably will be doing some racing from a roll... How about that?

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hard to say it's basically the same as the infamous 500 hp limit on the stock motors some do perfectly fine at 500+ some blow at 450 or less .

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I won't be doing launches but I probably will be doing some racing from a roll... How about that?

What are you doing, driving a Civic? Seriously leave that shit to the idiots who want to be on the news.

Solitear

forum member
Reaction score
I'm currently building my car (after being blown for a year :( ) and I'm looking to be in the 600-700 hp range (hopefully). Eventually I will be building/replacing both the rear end and the transmission but I don't have enough in my budget to do both right away. So my question is which part can I get away with for a longer amount of time? Would the stock trans or the stock rear end last me longer at lets say 600 rwhp and 550 ft lbs?

And does anyone have any topics they could recommend me reading for a t56 vs tr6060 swap?

mmm i say swap the tranny TR-6060 be easier to swap to imo but if it breaks rumor has it, it's more expensive to fix as a fyi.. x.x

Rear end will hold for a while...if your roll racing from what i have read.

So yea Tranny> then rearend...

FYI look into internals please or a shortblock and build a motor meant to take the abuse....unless you have 1 HELL of a tune i forsee bad things....

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
I have always been of the opinion that when a tranny breaks you tow the car home, and when the rear end breaks it can lead to dissaster. Something to think about.

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
I have always been of the opinion that when a tranny breaks you tow the car home, and when the rear end breaks it can lead to dissaster. Something to think about.

That is a good point. I guess I could always try a conservative tune and try to keep the torque in the 500 range which I have heard from people that 550+ is when they start to break easily. And there is a really good deal on this rear end I'm looking at :)

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
That is a good point. I guess I could always try a conservative tune and try to keep the torque in the 500 range which I have heard from people that 550+ is when they start to break easily. And there is a really good deal on this rear end I'm looking at :)

huh huh. you're looking at rear ends.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
keep looking into rear ends. in a non gay way... The tranny will be fine for now, but attempting to put that much power through a stock 8.8 can be a problem. Fab9 or Currie ftw..

Nickoli

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would say the trans first. 8.8s are strong and ford put 31 spline axels in from the factory so thats a plus...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back