Ride Height Issue with 05-10 Struts on 11-14 Mustang

Scuba-Matt

Boost freak
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from those pictures what the gap looks like since the detail is all lost in shadows. Did you ever run the springs before the struts, because that's what we're talking about here. People ran the springs on stock struts, and then switched to Konis which resulted in the front sitting lower than it did before. It's pretty well documented at this point that this will happen 100% of the time due to the physical dimensions of the front koni struts.

If you went straight from stock to this setup you probably wouldn't notice, because it has a rake from the factory. It's really obvious when you put Eibach's on first then switch to the Koni struts, since the Eibach springs level out the rake, and the Koni struts brings it back.

I changes the springs, struts and mounts at the same time. I'll try and get a better pic.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
I changes the springs, struts and mounts at the same time. I'll try and get a better pic.

So you probably wouldn't have noticed the "issue" then is what I'm saying. If you never ran the spring on the stock struts then there is no way to tell that the Konis specifically made the right high sit fine.

Really, it's not an "issue" for most people, just a curious side effect of the physical dimensions of the Koni struts. A few of us were scratching our heads because struts should not affect ride height, but changing them did!

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
So is the only way not to drop that extra 1/4" or so not to run Konis? I was set on them, now not so sure. I like some rake on these cars, but don't want too much. I plan on running the FRPP P springs which have a mild 1" drop.

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
So is the only way not to drop that extra 1/4" or so not to run Konis? I was set on them, now not so sure. I like some rake on these cars, but don't want too much. I plan on running the FRPP P springs which have a mild 1" drop.

I've 19's on the front, and 20's on the rear, with the Koni's and K springs. I dont think its that much rake at all. Pretty much perfect IMO.

IMG_0849 by riored4v, on Flickr

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score

That is my exact setup, Koni STR.T with 'P' springs on GT500 mounts.

Bad06stang

forum member
Reaction score
I have koni strts with k springs and I dont like how the car sits at all. The ass end is over an inch higher than the front. I did notice that the konis made the front of my car lower too, i am ordering a set of H&r supersport springs to get the ass to sit right.

SCreemer

Reaction score
Couple of pics of my 2011 - Koni 'sports' (for the 05~10 cars), GT-500 mounts, and "P" springs:

2011MustangGT-22oc12-side.jpg

2011MustangGT-22oc12-leftfrontlow.jpg

When I have a couple of people in the back and some junk in the trunk, it levels out. Can't help but think it would drag its' azz if it was any lower in the rear.

Paul

Last edited:

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
My setup is in my signature. When I picked my springs I was sure to ask for a spring setup that had little to no rake in it. I wanted a nice level drop. I feel like Hotchkis delivered in that for me. And I also am running Koni orange with GT500 mounts

aqypyqyz.jpg

ezyragaj.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

travelers

Reaction score
Just thought I would add some more pics:

I measured my D-Specs (05-10) and they are 8.5" from the top of the bolt hole to the bottom of the spring saddle as you have measured. But they also measure the same 14" as you have measured.

I haven't decided on springs yet but I'm also have the L&M Strut mounts for 05-10.

The D-Specs are the same as the Ford Racing Adjustable shocks and struts.

Just some additional info to compare the Konis and stocks too.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
did taking the isolators out make the ride harsher or louder?

It's very difficult to describe the sound it makes, but it *is* a little louder without the isolators. I considered this a temporary compromise because I plan to add coilovers ASAP.

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score
That looks damn good. How do you like the ride?

This is my daily driver and the ride is very good especially for the roads around here. I scrape only on large speed bumps but otherwise no complaints. If/when I change anything it will be Koni Sports to replace the STR.T's.

BV600

forum member
Reaction score
Heres a good pic, H&R Race with Koni STR.T it did drop more in the front. Ive since removed them for some strange adjustables and BMR Springs.

BV600

forum member
Reaction score
Yep the STR.Ts definitely dropped it more. A little noisy also.
Since then Ive went completely BMR suspension with Strange Shock/Struts. Still deciding if I want a UCA and Bracket though.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
This is my daily driver and the ride is very good especially for the roads around here. I scrape only on large speed bumps but otherwise no complaints. If/when I change anything it will be Koni Sports to replace the STR.T's.
Cool, thanks.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back