S197 mustang 2012

Frankief28

Reaction score
So quick question I have a small problem that I can’t find solution to my s197 has a little bit of vibration at high speeds I would say once I’m at 105 and up below that no issue I have don’t almost everything I can think of and I can still feel it this is what I replaced or did to try and correct the problem

new aluminum one piece driveshaft
New time gt500 19 inch rims
Got new tires I had 285s I now have 305/35/19 Nitto
Car is lowered about 1.5 has pan hand bar with adjustable control arms and adjustable struts only thing I have yet to install is I have control arm in the rear maybe rims are no good? I duno I only had them for a year and I don’t see any cracks or anything I also had them balanced like 3 times so I’m all out of ideas. This only happens at speeds over 100 MPH

SilBult

Reaction score
Since you have a one piece driveshaft and adjustable control arms the first thing I would check is the pinion to driveshaft angle. A one piece driveshaft is going to be more sensitive to the pinion to driveshaft angle than the factory two piece shaft. As for the tires and wheels, it's always better if you mount the bare wheels on a quality balancer and check them for balance [ they shouldn't need any weights ] and both radial and axial runout before mounting the tires. Any problems here and even good tires will be a bear to get right. A tire can balance OK, but still have excessive road force. The good thing about adjustable parts is that with effort you can get things as close to ideal as possible. The bad part about adjustable parts is that you now have a multitude of ways to get things wrong. Good luck.

Frankief28

Reaction score
How do you adjust pinion angle ? Bring to a shop I guess and Ik it’s not the driveshaft because I put the stock shitty two piece back In and had same effects

Waakeeen

Reaction score
Just stumbled on this, I just recently installed a one piece and notice more noice, what should the angle be set at?

TargetsAppear

Reaction score
You need to make sure that your thrust angle is straight. With adjustable rear arms, if there is even a slight difference in length it can cause a wobble or vibration feeling. Measure the edge of your rear tires on both sides to the side skirt and see if there is a difference in length. That is the easiest way to get an idea if your thrust angle is off. You can always switch the adjustable arms out with fixed length and see what you feel then.

As far as pinion angle, its the measurement of the driveshaft pinion flange angle in relation to the bottom edge of your transmission with the suspension compressed. Set the angle so that it is around zero when under acceleration. So around -2 to -2.5.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
What brand of aluminum one piece DS did you buy ?

I bought the DSS version, for my 2010 GT. (Drive Shaft Shop). It uses a CV (constant velocity) joint at the back end....that allows for some in / out movement. Front end is the typ universal joint. End result is the pinion angle is not critical. Smooth as butter, vibration free at 137 mph...and that's with an automatic.

Do you have an adjustable UCA ?? Typ, when the car is lowered, an adjustable length UCA is used..and the UCA mount is also adjustable.

Here is the angle finder... to set pinion angle. https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1228&superpro=0

Here is the adjustable UCA mount.... with 3 holes to pick from. https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=964&superpro=0

Here is the adjustable UCA...with spherical's. https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1264&superpro=0

Here is the adjustable UCA...with poly bushings. https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=944&superpro=0

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
So I've always wondered about this. Driveline angles are set to keep u-joints out of phase and within a tolerable operational limit, which is why we set the 2-2.5 degrees thing. However, our cars don't have u-joints, they use CV joints, which have a MUCH larger acceptable operational range of angle on them. So why would it matter what the driveline angle is set at with a CV joint? The CV joint doesn't care if it's 2 degrees or 10 degrees, those are both acceptable angles on a CV joint.

Waakeeen

Reaction score
It’s a ford racing one piece, I swap a tr6060 so I needed a new drive shaft. Never had that problem before with the two piece. I do have adjusted upper and lower mounts. Haven't had the time to get underneath I was thinking of buying another pair of ramps to get under it but I’m open to ideas too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back